Author Topic: Do Women Want to be Oppressed?  (Read 407 times)

rangerrebew

Do Women Want to be Oppressed?
« on: December 29, 2017, 05:12:10 pm »
Do Women Want to be Oppressed?

Evolutionary theorists propose that female desire for domineering males helped create a patriarchal world.

By John Horgan on December 29, 2017

In principle, evolutionary psychology, which seeks to understand our behavior in light of the fact that we are products of natural selection, can give us deep insights into ourselves. In practice, the field often reinforces insidious prejudices. That was the theme of my recent column “Darwin Was Sexist, and So Are Many Modern Scientists.”

The column provoked such intense pushback that I decided to write this follow-up post. Alt-right pundit Steve Sailer described my column as “science denialism.” Psychologist Jordan Peterson deplored “the descent of Scientific American.” Scientific American columnist Michael Shermer called me the “PC police of the [Scientific American] web site.”

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/cross-check/do-women-want-to-be-oppressed/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+basic-science+%28Topic%3A+More+Science%29

Offline mirraflake

Re: Do Women Want to be Oppressed?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2017, 05:25:24 pm »
My wife runs her own business, has advanced degrees but still wants me to make most household decisions, where to eat etc.

Oceander

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2017, 05:43:34 pm »
My wife runs her own business, has advanced degrees but still wants me to make most household decisions, where to eat etc.

That’s not oppression, it’s delegation.  It also shows she trusts you and your judgment on these matters.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2017, 05:50:41 pm »
That’s not oppression, it’s delegation.  It also shows she trusts you and your judgment on these matters.

Exactly.