Author Topic: Trump sent fewer Mexicans home from US in 2017 than Obama in 2016  (Read 10651 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Re: Trump sent fewer Mexicans home from US in 2017 than Obama in 2016
« Reply #150 on: December 29, 2017, 05:51:58 am »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wetback_(slur)

Obviously, it is intended for people from outside the US, is this really a point of contention? ; and yes, one can take or leave what wikipedia says about this.

Offline anubias

« Reply #151 on: December 29, 2017, 05:55:14 am »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wetback_(slur)

Obviously, it is intended for people from outside the US, is this really a point of contention? ; and yes, one can take or leave what wikipedia says about this.

Kinda hard to get one’s back wet swimming over the border if one didn’t need to swim due to being already on this side of the border.   :shrug:

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #152 on: December 29, 2017, 06:05:00 am »
Kinda hard to get one’s back wet swimming over the border if one didn’t need to swim due to being already on this side of the border.   :shrug:

I don't think it has been a literal expression for some time....
« Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 06:05:17 am by Cyber Liberty »
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online corbe

« Reply #153 on: December 29, 2017, 06:05:01 am »
                                                        Trainbacks

No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
« Reply #154 on: December 29, 2017, 06:41:41 am »
You're right.  Protecting illegals is against the law, and the Church asking its members to do so is outrageous.

But your second part is also important....... especially the comparison to parenting.   When it becomes apparent that Trump was all hat and no cattle when it comes to illegal immigration, those wide, friendly doors he talked about will become flooded once again with illegals.

A few of those voters will still support him no matter what the policy actually is (because they support him no matter what he says or does), but his approval will continue to plummet if he doesn't follow through on this campaign promise.

@Chosen Daughter
@Victoria33

Yeah, I didn't vote for Trump because I didn't find the rhetoric believable.  Sadly I was hoping that I would be wrong but it doesn't appear to be.  He was talking wild stuff.  Unbelievable.  Coming from a State that is sanctuary state I know these people are rooted.  Our government has rolled out the big red welcome carpet.  Tax id's for people here illegally allowing them to purchase homes, business loans, cars, credit of all kinds.  They could never have mass deportation.  The banks couldn't handle the foreclosures.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline Chosen Daughter

« Reply #155 on: December 29, 2017, 06:43:32 am »
                                                        Trainbacks

Hey Jose I saw the train you rode in on!
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline Chosen Daughter

« Reply #156 on: December 29, 2017, 06:46:24 am »
I think "illegal" does at times have that negative connotation as well like the "w" word; but this is really a linguistic debate. Both arguments can be seen as correct. And "illegal" is descriptive as well, it has caused some flack though in use. Some people prefer "undocumented workers" or things like that. As I said, it is a linguistic argument and it might be different in Texas than in California who, the latter, I think are being loony to a terrible extreme.

:happyny:

Oh my goodness.  What is up with PC garbage?  Call them what they are,.........illegal....broken law.  The same thing as Democrats not wanting to say Islamic terrorists.

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #157 on: December 29, 2017, 06:49:02 am »

I'm fairly certain it's more like this......

Looks like seal skin to me.

Nice!

Is that Trump's fourth or fifth wife?

« Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 06:49:47 am by InHeavenThereIsNoBeer »
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
« Reply #158 on: December 29, 2017, 06:53:22 am »
Edit: Best not to cross thread post while tired. So gonna just call it a night... (delete)...

« Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 07:25:30 am by Sighlass »
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline anubias

« Reply #159 on: December 29, 2017, 07:09:12 am »
I don't think it has been a literal expression for some time....

It is and has been in my neck of the woods.  May be different in yours.

Offline anubias

« Reply #160 on: December 29, 2017, 07:13:09 am »
Oh my goodness.  What is up with PC garbage?  Call them what they are,.........illegal....broken law.  The same thing as Democrats not wanting to say Islamic terrorists.

I agree.  It’s what I call them because it aptly describes them no matter where they came from. Not all illegals swim over the border.  The only point I was trying to make is that they don’t mind being called wetbacks because they call themselves that.  Why we care, I have no idea other than the PC crapola that I’ve grown tired of over the years.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #161 on: December 29, 2017, 02:20:03 pm »
I agree.  It’s what I call them because it aptly describes them no matter where they came from. Not all illegals swim over the border.  The only point I was trying to make is that they don’t mind being called wetbacks because they call themselves that.  Why we care, I have no idea other than the PC crapola that I’ve grown tired of over the years.

OK, you are obviously the expert when it comes to what hispanics, whether citizens or here illegally, think and feel about being called "wetback". 
« Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 02:39:01 pm by Sanguine »

Offline musiclady

« Reply #162 on: December 29, 2017, 02:48:53 pm »
@musiclady

Please use the Ignore feature.

I'm afraid I have to do that, though I didn't want to. 

It still makes me sad.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #163 on: December 29, 2017, 02:53:27 pm »
No, it doesn’t.  The other group finds the word offensive as it means “stupid” in their minds.  To Mexican’s wetback means someone who came from Mexico to the US.  They don’t find the word to be derogatory at all.  That’s the point I’m trying to make.  We’ve all been so caught up trying to be good, white PC people that we don’t realize that we’ve gone so far overboard that they would find it hilarious that we are arguing over “wetback” being a bad word when they don’t consider it as such.

I'm not at all concerned about being "PC."

I don't know you very well, but it looks to me like you're having a "conniption" here because somebody disagrees with you.
 :smokin:

But I'm glad you've come here to share your expertise about what every illegal immigrant and Mexican citizen thinks.  It's very rare to have someone have such amazing insight into how an entire people group feels.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Offline musiclady

« Reply #164 on: December 29, 2017, 02:54:17 pm »
"Illegal" is merely descriptive.  "Wetback" is pejorative.

Yes.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #165 on: December 29, 2017, 02:58:44 pm »
OK, you are obviously the expert when it comes to what hispanics, whether citizens or here illegally, think and feel about being called "wetback".

You've got to say, generally speaking, if one is from Texas and probably for NM, AZ and CA, one could certainly give an expert-type opinion and perhaps even from a few other states (thinking of Colorado). Though, I know Spanish fairly well; there must be a lot of Spanish and "Spanglish" that a lot of folks from those states know.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #166 on: December 29, 2017, 03:01:58 pm »
You've got to say, generally speaking, if one is from Texas and probably for NM, AZ and CA, one could certainly give an expert-type opinion and perhaps even from a few other states (thinking of Colorado). Though, I know Spanish fairly well; there must be a lot of Spanish and "Spanglish" that a lot of folks from those states know.

You might think so, but there are a lot of us Texans here, and we appear to have different opinions.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #167 on: December 29, 2017, 03:04:36 pm »
I'm afraid I have to do that, though I didn't want to. 

It still makes me sad.

@musiclady

I never once called you stupid.  I said that convicting Roy Moore on the basis of a bunch of made up media BS was stupid.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #168 on: December 29, 2017, 03:06:18 pm »
You might think so, but there are a lot of us Texans here, and we appear to have different opinions.

@Sanguine

Indeed we do. And mine preclude me from bowing to the dictates of Cultural Marxism.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline musiclady

« Reply #169 on: December 29, 2017, 03:07:08 pm »
I will leave it to those who might read this thread to make their own determinations as to who it was that became hysterical.   Sleep well!

I'm going to state it one more time for the record, because as you so often claim, the TRUTH matters.

On two separate threads yesterday, I was discussing things and stated opinions that you disagreed with.  Instead of responding in a decent manner, you called me STUPID (yes, you put it in caps) and on this thread you accused me of being so weak that I was being led by the nose by "cultural Marxists" (and you used multiple exclamation points, IIRC).

In the discussion that ensued on both threads, I remained calm because your insults were so idiotic and just plain wrong, but I defended myself against your nastiness (even though I was feeling sorry for you throughout the day), and never once became even remotely "hysterical,' in spite of how ugly your personal attacks were.

Now, in the light of a new day, I realize that for the first time in all the years I've known you, I have lost respect for you.  Not because you lost your temper or your mood swung wildly (I've seen you do that a bunch) nor because you felt the need to destroy a person who disagrees with you (I've also seen you do that a lot), but because after all was said and done, you never backed off, nor apologized for your error or your deep down, completely unnecessary meanness.

You can go around using pejoratives against illegals all you want.  That's not the point.   The point is that you were someone I used to respect, but because of your intransigent nastiness and personal attacks (on two different threads and two different subjects) because of my differing OPINION, that respect has been greatly diminished. 

You KNOW me @Bigun .  And you know your attacks on me were completely false, and yet you hung on for dear life to the garbage you had flung my way, and then had the nerve to call me "hysterical."

I don't hold grudges, but I will put you on Ignore until you at least recognize that you were out of line yesterday.

If not, I'll remember the person I thought you were fondly.....

Offline jpsb

« Reply #170 on: December 29, 2017, 03:11:14 pm »
So the Southerners don't drink soda and do blow instead?

That map is incorrect we drink "soda water" down here with our wetback friends.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 03:11:55 pm by jpsb »

Offline TomSea

« Reply #171 on: December 29, 2017, 03:13:11 pm »

Debating "racial slurs" is sometimes pointless, even some racist terms that seem very clear can be argued, if people listen to hip-hop or rap music, I know the women of a boy, they are white, and she had to take off after him because of repeating what he heard in that music and some youths love it as we have loved types of music. I even had to tell him not to say these things because people around might not get it.  That occurred to me, earlier I came across an article on the Washington football teams. Sure, it's political correctness gone amuck.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #172 on: December 29, 2017, 03:14:36 pm »
Further reading, I would not dwell on the meaning of one word, when there has truly been a usage of racist terms around for a long time: https://utpress.utexas.edu/books/delgre

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #173 on: December 29, 2017, 03:21:05 pm »
I'm going to state it one more time for the record, because as you so often claim, the TRUTH matters.

On two separate threads yesterday, I was discussing things and stated opinions that you disagreed with.  Instead of responding in a decent manner, you called me STUPID (yes, you put it in caps) and on this thread you accused me of being so weak that I was being led by the nose by "cultural Marxists" (and you used multiple exclamation points, IIRC).

In the discussion that ensued on both threads, I remained calm because your insults were so idiotic and just plain wrong, but I defended myself against your nastiness (even though I was feeling sorry for you throughout the day), and never once became even remotely "hysterical,' in spite of how ugly your personal attacks were.

Now, in the light of a new day, I realize that for the first time in all the years I've known you, I have lost respect for you.  Not because you lost your temper or your mood swung wildly (I've seen you do that a bunch) nor because you felt the need to destroy a person who disagrees with you (I've also seen you do that a lot), but because after all was said and done, you never backed off, nor apologized for your error or your deep down, completely unnecessary meanness.

You can go around using pejoratives against illegals all you want.  That's not the point.   The point is that you were someone I used to respect, but because of your intransigent nastiness and personal attacks (on two different threads and two different subjects) because of my differing OPINION, that respect has been greatly diminished. 

You KNOW me @Bigun .  And you know your attacks on me were completely false, and yet you hung on for dear life to the garbage you had flung my way, and then had the nerve to call me "hysterical."

I don't hold grudges, but I will put you on Ignore until you at least recognize that you were out of line yesterday.

If not, I'll remember the person I thought you were fondly.....

And you know me @musiclady.

I will appologize when I have done something to apologize for and have done so on this very forum in the past.

I have NEVER attacked you personally and certianly did not do so yesterday but it saddens me greatly that you took honest attempts at discusion  as "attacks" on you personally.  I would have thought that someone with your background would know better than that but I guess I was incorrect about that as well and the loos of respect thing works both ways.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #174 on: December 29, 2017, 03:24:20 pm »
@Sanguine

Indeed we do. And mine preclude me from bowing to the dictates of Cultural Marxism.

As do mine, Bigun.  I refuse to go so far in the opposite direction as to meet cultural marxism on the other end, though.