Author Topic: Ryan, McConnell Face Off Over Entitlement Reform  (Read 383 times)

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Ryan, McConnell Face Off Over Entitlement Reform
« on: December 28, 2017, 12:11:49 am »
House Speaker Paul Ryan has one major opponent in his fight to overhaul Medicare, Medicaid and welfare programs: Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, Politico reports.

Ryan said in an interview with the Weekly Standard that his priorities for 2018 are to reform entitlements, welfare and healthcare.

"I don’t think the healthcare issue is done," he said of the GOP’s failed attempt to repeal Obamacare. "At the end of the day, we’ve got to go after the root cause — healthcare inflation and entitlements. Welfare reform is going to be our next lift."

"We’re never going to give up on entitlement reform and the things we need to do to get the debt under control," Ryan added. "With one more reconciliation, I think we have a pretty good shot at getting some of these things done."

However, less than two days after Ryan’s interview, McConnell said at a breakfast sponsored by Axios that "Democrats are not going to be interested in entitlement reform, so I would not expect to see that on the agenda" for next year, according to The Washington Post.
https://www.newsmax.com/politics/ryan-mcconnell-entitlement-reform/2017/12/27/id/833921/
so the Majority Leader of the Senate cowers to the minority party.

What a disgusting excuse for a leader.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Fantom

Re: Ryan, McConnell Face Off Over Entitlement Reform
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2017, 12:53:09 am »

Welfare reform is all the "Entitlement" reform that should be addressed in 2018.  SS/Mediscam will have to wait until 2019 at the earliest.

Let the tax benefits and the economy hand the Senate a solid majority to R's. That takes away the few real flakes like Collins/McCain...although cancer will get rid of one of those...Thank God.

It does no good to stir the pot on SS/Mediscam now. It is a lose lose proposition, lose any reform, lose in 2018 elections. Heck, play your cards right...... maybe a 60+ Senate is not out of reach.
Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet deprecate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground, they want rain without thunder and lightning, they want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters.

Frederick Douglass