Author Topic: Federal Employees Get 8.5 Weeks Off A Year, Costing Taxpayers $22 Billion.  (Read 765 times)

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Federal employees are given an average of 43 days off per year, costing taxpayers well over $22 billion for that luxury, government watchdog organization OpenTheBooks reported.

Employees of the federal government are given, on average, 13 sick days, 10 federal holidays and 20 vacation days per year, according to the Tuesday OpenTheBooks study. Giving federal employees roughly 8.5 weeks off a year costs taxpayers $22.6 billion annually.

Some 406,960 federal employees made six-figure incomes in 2016, amounting to around 20 percent of all listed federal employees.

Read more at: http://dailycaller.com/2017/12/27/federal-employees-get-8-5-weeks-off-a-year-costing-taxpayers-22-billion/
The Republic is lost.

Offline andy58-in-nh

Re: Federal Employees Get 8.5 Weeks Off A Year, Costing Taxpayers $22 Billion.
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2017, 07:09:04 pm »
There's a reason why it's called the Dreaded Private Sector: one-half of the time off, one-third of the paycheck, one-quarter of the retirement benefits and none of the job security.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline the_doc

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2017, 07:25:23 pm »
They ought to be cut back to about 6 sick days and 15 vacation days (starting at 10 vacation days for newbies).  That would save about $5 billion.

Better still, they should lay off at least one-third of the federal employees.  That would save about $45 billion.  Implementing both measures would save about $48 billion.

Offline RetBobbyMI

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2017, 07:42:28 pm »
I don't know were they get 43 days.  The most a federal employee can get is 8 hours per pay period or 26 days a year.  All federal employees get 4 hours of sick leave per pay period or 13 days. Most accumulate sick leave for when they really need it. The only way to get more annual leave is time off awards or other leave categories such as military duty, jury duty, etc.
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."  -- John Wayne
"Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.� ? Euripides, The Bacchae
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.� ? Laurence J. Peter, The Peter Principle
"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.� ? Bertrand Russell, A History of Western Philosophy

Offline Mesaclone

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2017, 10:32:40 pm »
I don't know were they get 43 days.  The most a federal employee can get is 8 hours per pay period or 26 days a year.  All federal employees get 4 hours of sick leave per pay period or 13 days. Most accumulate sick leave for when they really need it. The only way to get more annual leave is time off awards or other leave categories such as military duty, jury duty, etc.

Most workers get 6 hours per pay period...so closer to 20 days per year, plus the sick time. I can't vouch for all Feds, but I certainly don't get the day off on Federal Holidays...nor do those I work with.

So the truth is somewhere in the middle...as it generally is. Yes, the Fed is quite fair in giving a reasonable amount of leave time...more than the private sector. However, its greatly overstated by articles such as the one cited above. Honestly, I believe 20/13 would be a fair allocation at any and all workplaces...to me, that's a much more important issue for "labor" than is a 15$ minimum wage.
We have the best government that money can buy. Mark Twain

Offline Fantom

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2017, 11:06:41 pm »

Could be worse, they could be at work. Last I saw, that cost us a bit over 4 trillion a year.
Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet deprecate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground, they want rain without thunder and lightning, they want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters.

Frederick Douglass

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2017, 11:46:04 pm »
Better than Europe.  I recall working their as a supervisor years ago and a new employee showed up for work on a Monday and the firs thing he asked me was whether he could take off for vacation the same week.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline RetBobbyMI

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2017, 02:47:24 am »
Most workers get 6 hours per pay period...so closer to 20 days per year, plus the sick time. I can't vouch for all Feds, but I certainly don't get the day off on Federal Holidays...nor do those I work with.

So the truth is somewhere in the middle...as it generally is. Yes, the Fed is quite fair in giving a reasonable amount of leave time...more than the private sector. However, its greatly overstated by articles such as the one cited above. Honestly, I believe 20/13 would be a fair allocation at any and all workplaces...to me, that's a much more important issue for "labor" than is a 15$ minimum wage.
I have worked for the feds and worked as a contractor. As a contractor I didn't even get all federal holidays off and had to use my limited leave time to stay home, since I couldn't work due to the federal holidays.
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."  -- John Wayne
"Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.� ? Euripides, The Bacchae
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.� ? Laurence J. Peter, The Peter Principle
"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.� ? Bertrand Russell, A History of Western Philosophy