Author Topic: Residents in high-tax states rush to file property taxes before new rules take effect  (Read 531 times)

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
Homeowners in high-tax states are scrambling to prepay their 2018 property taxes this year before President Donald Trump’s overhaul goes into effect.

Residents in New York, like others around the country, are rushing to file because the new tax code, signed into law last week, limits the amount of state and local taxes people can deduct on their federal returns, according to Donald Clavin, town receiver of taxes in Hempstead, New York. The change could cost some homeowners, especially those in high-tax states, thousands of dollars.

“Under the new federal tax code, many Long Islanders are going to lose out on valuable tax deductions,” Clavin wrote in a statement Tuesday. “In our office, we’ve helped a significant number of taxpayers during the holiday season who are seeking to get the ‘gift’ of a tax deduction before the opportunity runs out.”

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/york-residents-rush-file-property-taxes-rules-effect-114803514--abc-news-topstories.html
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
Looks like some people don’t want to pay their ‘fair share.’
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Looks like tax reform is helping those deep blue, high tax states after all! 

Tax deadbeats now rushing to get them all paid up while they can still deduct them. They will probably see a large decrease in tax delinquencies and a lot more cash this year.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Night Hides Not

Looks like tax reform is helping those deep blue, high tax states after all! 

Tax deadbeats now rushing to get them all paid up while they can still deduct them. They will probably see a large decrease in tax delinquencies and a lot more cash this year.

In typical fashion, these states and municipalities will not realize the surge in property tax receipts will mean an equal decline in revenues in 2019.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
In typical fashion, these states and municipalities will not realize the surge in property tax receipts will mean an equal decline in revenues in 2019.

You are EXACTLY right!  They will spend it all and complain when it disappears next year.   :rolling: :rolling: :rolling:
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Concerned

I fear you’re right (but I’m still paying mine tomorrow).
I adore facts and data and abhor lies and liars.