Author Topic: Republicans leave for Christmas break believing they can govern  (Read 651 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Republicans leave for Christmas break believing they can govern
« on: December 25, 2017, 01:54:13 pm »
Republicans leave for Christmas break believing they can govern
by Al Weaver | Dec 25, 2017, 12:01 AM

Republican lawmakers left Washington this week in an upbeat mood after passing a major tax cut bill, and with a growing confidence that they can govern after an up-and-down year that still left them with a list of significant accomplishments.

The GOP misfired on repealing Obamacare, but was still able to eliminate the individual mandate penalty, and can still boast about Neil Gorsuch's Supreme Court confirmation and a rollback of several Obama-era regulations. They're ready to be judged on that record.

"It started off slow. It took us a while to get something done," said Rep. Steve Stivers, R-Ohio, the chairman of the National Republican Congressional Committee. "It entered like a lamb and ended like a lion, so I feel good about that."

more
http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/republicans-leave-for-christmas-break-believing-they-can-govern/article/2644220
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Re: Republicans leave for Christmas break believing they can govern
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2017, 03:24:55 pm »
They passed one bill of significance and they're patting themselves on the back like they just achieved world peace.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Applewood

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2017, 04:56:19 pm »
They passed one bill of significance and they're patting themselves on the back like they just achieved world peace.

Yep.  I keep hearing how hard they worked to pass the new tax law and they deserve some extra time off.  I call BS.  They only did half the job and there is a lot more to be done like reigning in spending and coming up with a budget/spending plan before the latest extension of time runs out.  And then there are all the other issues such as a full repeal of Obamacare, illegal immigration and so forth.  They have had almost a year of the perfect scenario -- a Republican president and Republican control of both houses of congress --  and this is all they have accomplished.  I'm told I'm expecting too much too soon, but again, I call BS.  If these slobs worked in the private sector the way they do in DC, they would all be fired. 

Offline Mesaclone

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2017, 09:11:29 pm »
Yep.  I keep hearing how hard they worked to pass the new tax law and they deserve some extra time off.  I call BS.  They only did half the job and there is a lot more to be done like reigning in spending and coming up with a budget/spending plan before the latest extension of time runs out.  And then there are all the other issues such as a full repeal of Obamacare, illegal immigration and so forth.  They have had almost a year of the perfect scenario -- a Republican president and Republican control of both houses of congress --  and this is all they have accomplished.  I'm told I'm expecting too much too soon, but again, I call BS.  If these slobs worked in the private sector the way they do in DC, they would all be fired.

Well, the Republicans only have 43-45 reliably conservative votes in the Senate...what would you have them do?

The "majority" you speak of is mostly a mirage...having 51 gets you committee control and lets you manage the floor agenda, but it doesn't get a damn thing passed as law. Given that situation, they are entirely limited to passing legislation that can pull in the 5-7 "wafflers" in their caucus. If they worked in the private sector, they wouldn't set up a business with one committee of 435 members...another with a 100...and a boss who can only approve or disapprove of new "rules".

Blaming Republicans for the innate inefficiency of that system...and don't get me wrong, an elected government needs to be inefficient in the structure it takes (with checks and balances) lest it become tyranny...or for the unreliability of 5 or so Senators...well that sounds like something only a person who has zero understanding of government would do.

If you want real conservative legislation, you need real conservative majorities in both Houses of congress...simply having a majority with a party label doesn't necessarily help you achieve anything. That said, the Dems are far better at uniting and not tearing each other apart as Republicans...and Republican voters...do. Perhaps if those in the party who love to undermine our Chief Executive would actually rally to his support, we'd get more accomplished.
We have the best government that money can buy. Mark Twain