Author Topic: This Christmas Eve, remember America's winter soldiers  (Read 817 times)

Online Right_in_Virginia

This Christmas Eve, remember America's winter soldiers
« on: December 24, 2017, 12:14:10 pm »
This Christmas Eve, remember America's winter soldiers
Washington Examiner, Dec 24, 2017

As your family sits down to enjoy a meal together this Christmas, spare a thought or prayer for families who have an empty seat at their table where a brave son, daughter, husband, or wife would sit if they were not serving overseas in the military.

Because America enjoys relative peace this Christmas, it’s easy to forget that we are still a country at war. Our troops abroad and their families at home don’t have the same sense of calm that Bethlehem had on a starry night two millennia ago.

More than 215,000 American military personnel are stationed overseas. About 22,000 are in danger in Afghanistan, Iraq, and Syria, working to eradicate terrorism, the Taliban, and the Islamic State. Another 68,000 are in Japan or South Korea, within easy striking distance of North Korea's armaments should the tyrant, Kim Jong Un, have a temper tantrum.

Hundreds of thousands of others are stationed inside the U.S., and many can’t make it home for Christmas, while others could be called away at a moment’s notice. Even U.S. Cyber Command staff will work on Christmas to make sure your new electronic gadgets are protected from digital threats.

More: http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/this-christmas-eve-remember-americas-winter-soldiers/article/2644181

Online Right_in_Virginia

Re: This Christmas Eve, remember America's winter soldiers
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2017, 12:31:57 pm »

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2017, 12:48:00 pm »
Dittos RIV, Merry Christmas to you.

I have vague memories of pulling Staff Duty Officer at my first unit in Germany. We were isolated, 40 miles from our Battalion HQ, before senior NCOs were authorized to pull SDO. Bachelors like me worked the main holidays, i.e. Thanksgiving and Christmas to allow married officers family time.

I enjoyed it, though, spending time with my soldiers that lived in the barracks, many who were away from home for the first time.

My last two Christmases included time with my landlord and his family. In true German tradition, they lighted their Tannenbaum with lit candles.

I don't recall pulling SDO my two years at Battalion HQ, the pool of officers was much larger.

You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline verga

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2017, 01:01:42 pm »
 :tree3: :amen: God bless and keep them safe.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline Neverdul

• Moderator Gubernatorial and State Races
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2017, 01:47:49 pm »
While we should absolutely think of the men and women serving in the military who won’t be at home with their families on Christmas and God Bless them for their service to our country, let’s also think of our first responders, the firemen, EMT’s and police officers, and also the doctors and nurses working in hospitals over Christmas.
So This Is How Liberty Dies, With Thunderous Applause

Offline Applewood

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2017, 03:03:55 pm »
@Neverdul

Agreed. 

Around where I live, I will add the poor guys who will be clearing the roads if we get the 2-4 inches of snow promised (much higher amounts in the mountains).

Offline Neverdul

• Moderator Gubernatorial and State Races
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2017, 03:23:08 pm »
@Neverdul

Agreed. 

Around where I live, I will add the poor guys who will be clearing the roads if we get the 2-4 inches of snow promised (much higher amounts in the mountains).
That’s true as well and thank you for mentioning them too. And also all the utility workers and emergency maintenance workers.

A couple of years ago my niece’s husband was working for as a commercial HVAC service manager. One of their customers was a church and their boiler went up a few days before Christmas. He and his crew worked many hours, pretty much around the clock installing a new boiler, including on Christmas Eve just so they could get heat and hold their Christmas Eve services. Not to mention another of their customers was a retirement community and many times my nephew in law got called for emergencies on weekends and on holidays to get the AC or heat or their hot water working again. 
So This Is How Liberty Dies, With Thunderous Applause

Offline Applewood

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2017, 03:39:16 pm »
That’s true as well and thank you for mentioning them too. And also all the utility workers and emergency maintenance workers.

A couple of years ago my niece’s husband was working for as a commercial HVAC service manager. One of their customers was a church and their boiler went up a few days before Christmas. He and his crew worked many hours, pretty much around the clock installing a new boiler, including on Christmas Eve just so they could get heat and hold their Christmas Eve services. Not to mention another of their customers was a retirement community and many times my nephew in law got called for emergencies on weekends and on holidays to get the AC or heat or their hot water working again.

Yes, those repair folks too. 

Several years ago, I had to have a guy come out on Christmas Day when my furnace coughed and died.  Temps were in the 20s and it was snowing so bad, you couldn't see your hand in front of your face.  Poor man missed his kids opening their Christmas presents.

God bless all of those who take care of us and keep us safe.