Author Topic: An alternative to term limits  (Read 1124 times)

Offline Night Hides Not

An alternative to term limits
« on: December 23, 2017, 03:14:35 pm »
Just musing after enjoying a couple of Christmas tamales for breakfast:

Implementing term limits in Congress is a no-go, due to time and vote constraints. However, with the increasing presence of octogenarians (and beyond) in Congress, some of whom are displaying obvious signs of mental acuity, let alone dementia, something must change.

I can't pin my finger on the exact timing, but IMO every representative and senator over the age of 70-75 should be evaluated by a team of physicians as to their physical/mental fitness for office. If it's a team of 4, let each side pick two.

By all means, publish the results, IMO, this is a matter of national security. If honest reporting was done, Conyers and Thad Cochran would not be holding office (recognizing that Conyers just resigned, but due to pressure from sexual harassment allegations).

This would not require an amendment to the Constitution, but a small rewrite of rules for the House and Senate.

Personally, I think they're all crazy. on 12/31, I'm retiring, a bit early by choice. The job I was in was mind-numbing, and I'm in a position to do more enjoyable things, such as spending time with my 7 YO grandson...and a teenage son who needs and deserves more attention from his old man.

Way O/T, but in preparing for confession using The Beatitudes as a guide, I came across a sentence on taking better care of the blessings/gifts bestowed on us (or somesuch). Right then, I knew I made the right decision to retire. My son is a gift from God, and he needs that attention from me at this time in his life.

I don't get these congresscritters working into their mid seventies and beyond. The perqs of power in DC must be overwhelming. But take a guy like McCain, whose one of seven mansions is in Sedona, one of the most beautiful places on earth.

I just don't get it.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline Mesaclone

Re: An alternative to term limits
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2017, 03:28:47 pm »

Implementing term limits in Congress is a no-go, due to time and vote constraints. However, with the increasing presence of octogenarians (and beyond) in Congress, some of whom are displaying obvious signs of mental acuity, let alone dementia, something must change.

I can't pin my finger on the exact timing, but IMO every representative and senator over the age of 70-75 should be evaluated by a team of physicians as to their physical/mental fitness for office. If it's a team of 4, let each side pick two.

By all means, publish the results, IMO, this is a matter of national security. If honest reporting was done, Conyers and Thad Cochran would not be holding office (recognizing that Conyers just resigned, but due to pressure from sexual harassment allegations).

This would not require an amendment to the Constitution, but a small rewrite of rules for the House and Senate.

Personally, I think they're all crazy. on 12/31, I'm retiring, a bit early by choice. The job I was in was mind-numbing, and I'm in a position to do more enjoyable things, such as spending time with my 7 YO grandson...and a teenage son who needs and deserves more attention from his old man.

Way O/T, but in preparing for confession using The Beatitudes as a guide, I came across a sentence on taking better care of the blessings/gifts bestowed on us (or somesuch). Right then, I knew I made the right decision to retire. My son is a gift from God, and he needs that attention from me at this time in his life.

I don't get these congresscritters working into their mid seventies and beyond. The perqs of power in DC must be overwhelming. But take a guy like McCain, whose one of seven mansions is in Sedona, one of the most beautiful places on earth.

I just don't get it.

A team of 4 politically chosen doctors evaluating older elected reps...can't imagine how that could go wrong.

I get your intention, but that just won't work. Voters are free to vote as they will...if they are dumb enough to perpetually elect the same senile dimwits and/or reprobate perverts, that is their right in a Republic. Artificial limitations cannot overcome the ignorance and superficiality of the voting public, nor should we impose such limits in an effort to "help" the public make better choices. We just have to live with the choices voters make, while doing our best to better inform the public about candidates and ideas.
We have the best government that money can buy. Mark Twain

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2017, 03:43:28 pm »
Even easier idea.   Let them say the alphabet and count to 20.  If they fail theyre out.    That should weed out about 1/3 of em.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2017, 03:45:01 pm »
Even easier idea.   Let them say the alphabet and count to 20.  If they fail theyre out.    That should weed out about 1/3 of em.

Sounds good to me.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2017, 04:52:12 pm »

I just don't get it.

I don't either (about McCain)  But it becomes their reason for existence. 

If we need term limits, and we do, let's just pass term limits with the proviso that the congresspersons can run again for office after a certain period.

The doctor thing won't fly.  All democrats are mentally impaired.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2017, 07:38:59 pm »

:amen:  888high58888
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline To-Whose-Benefit?

• Wulf Anson Author
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2017, 12:06:03 am »
Be careful what you ask for.

http://psychquotes.com/

Psychiatry's Views on Conservatives

"In August 2003, the National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH) and the National Science Foundation (NSF) announced the results of their $1.2 million taxpayer-funded study. It stated, essentially, that traditionalists are mentally disturbed. Scholars from the Universities of Maryland, California at Berkeley, and Stanford had determined that social conservatives, in particular, suffer from ‘mental rigidity,’ ‘dogmatism,’ and ‘uncertainty avoidance,’ together with associated indicators for mental illness."
Source: B.K. Eakman, Chronicles, October 2004, pp. 28-29.
"Political conservatism as motivated social cognition" By Jost, John T.; Glaser, Jack; Kruglanski, Arie W.; Sulloway, Frank J. APA Psychological Bulletin, May 2003, Vol 129(3), p 339-375

Whole lot more at the link revealing how the mental health crowd view conservatives, and it's anything but reassuring.
My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

In Vol 2 the weapons come out in a winner take all war on two fronts.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

http://wulfanson.blogspot.com

Oceander

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2017, 12:44:10 am »
Mandatory retirement age.

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2017, 01:05:04 am »
Mandatory retirement age.

Agreed. We don't need 84 year old politicans who are running in districts which they have politically 'locked-down' over very many decades, running for reelection. It is absurd.

Pelosi is obviously addled, which is why it is a laughable joke when she questions Trumps mental fitness.
McCain's behavior is just simply crazy. I think it is based on denial. He thinks as long as he doesn't resign and keeps going to work, somehow he cannot die. He is refusing to accept his situation.

Of course during the era of the founding fathers, mid forties was considered old. They could never have foreseen anyone staying in office for 40 or 60 years and still refusing to resign.

60 is a good age to retire, especially if you are a gazillionaire, which everyone in Congress seems to be.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2017, 01:07:06 am by 240B »
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2017, 01:15:43 am »
Agreed. We don't need 84 year old politicans who are running in districts which they have politically 'locked-down' over very many decades, running for reelection. It is absurd.

Pelosi is obviously addled, which is why it is a laughable joke when she questions Trumps mental fitness.
McCain's behavior is just simply crazy. I think it is based on denial. He thinks as long as he doesn't resign and keeps going to work, somehow he cannot die. He is refusing to accept his situation.

Of course during the era of the founding fathers, mid forties was considered old. They could never have foreseen anyone staying in office for 40 or 60 years and still refusing to resign.

60 is a good age to retire, especially if you are a gazillionaire, which everyone in Congress seems to be.

How about an amendment that says no one may file for election to any federal office beyond their 70th birthday?
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2017, 02:38:02 am »
How about an amendment that says no one may file for election to any federal office beyond their 70th birthday?

An age cap would be prudent, for Politicians and for the invisible D.C. bureaucrats who stay in office until they die just like them.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2017, 03:32:35 am »
How about this amendment to the Constitution:
====================================
No person shall be elected to the office of the House of Representatives, Senate, Presidency or Vice Presidency once having attained the age of 72 years.
This amendment shall not apply to anyone holding such office at the time of ratification.

Offline 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2017, 04:26:26 am »
No person shall be elected to the office of the House of Representatives, Senate, Presidency or Vice Presidency once having attained the age of 72 years.
This amendment shall not apply to anyone holding such office at the time of ratification.

That's a good point. And Trumps age is something I have considered. However, he is different. This is his first term in any office and he behaves like a man half his age somehow. Maybe the age cap should not apply to the President?

Term limits will apply to Trump in his second term.

But yes, I agree with your point that an age cap probably wouldn't apply because age and behavior is such a huge variable from one person to the next. You're right. Term limits, not age, would be the only way to do it. It is not really age that is the corrupting factor. It is more about one person staying in office for half a century that screws up the system as it was designed to work.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2017, 04:28:48 am by 240B »

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2017, 01:26:32 pm »

president is already term limited.
Based upon your criteria, Reagan would have served only one term
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Mesaclone

« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2017, 04:37:41 pm »

I prefer this amendment.

No person shall be granted the right to vote until having attained the age of 25 years. Further, those having completed 20 years service in the U.S. military or service in combat shall be granted a double vote in all elections in which they participate.
We have the best government that money can buy. Mark Twain

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2017, 06:17:58 pm »

That might have a chance since it exempts people holding office now.  That has been the main bar to getting any effective legislation passed so far.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.