Author Topic: Column: How Doug Jones lost in nearly every congressional district but still won the state  (Read 525 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Column: How Doug Jones lost in nearly every congressional district but still won the state
By Christopher Ingraham, Washington Post

Opinion
Published: December 14, 2017
Updated: December 14, 2017 at 03:01 PM

Preliminary numbers for Alabama’s U.S. Senate election crunched by J. Miles Coleman of Decision Desk HQ reveal something astonishing: Democrat Doug Jones lost in six of Alabama’s seven congressional districts, but he still managed to beat Roy Moore by 1.5 percentage points in the entire state.

Voters in Alabama’s 7th Congressional District opted for Jones by a whopping 78 percent to 21 percent margin, the most lopsided result in the state. But Jones lost everywhere else, usually by just a few percentage points.

The simple explanation for this is that nearly two-thirds of voters the 7th District are African-American, a group that overwhelmingly supported Jones in his contest with Roy Moore.

Continued at: http://tbo.com/opinion/columns/Column-How-Doug-Jones-lost-in-nearly-every-congressional-district-but-still-won-the-state_163599775

I thought the number crunching was worth taking note of.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Not to mention getting 92% of the 2016 Dem turnout. Never has that happened anywhere I know of, not even close.

And because it's Dems, I'm very suspicious of that.
The Republic is lost.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Not to mention getting 92% of the 2016 Dem turnout. Never has that happened anywhere I know of, not even close.

And because it's Dems, I'm very suspicious of that.

Can't imagine why. /s
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Actually, I would think 50% show out of Republicans from 2016 too as significant too.

It's really the way it is often, voters either show up to elect or don't show up and their candidate loses.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2017, 05:33:41 pm by TomSea »

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Actually, I would think 50% show out of Republicans from 2016 too as significant too.

It's really the way it is often, voters either show up to elect or don't show up and their candidate loses.

They turned out 50% of their 2016 turnout, which for the GOP is usually 80-90%, so we're talking 40-45% turning out for the AL special.

25% is stupendous turnout, so the GOP was way above the normal. It's just that Dems were way, way above.
The Republic is lost.