Author Topic: Democrats Are Fooling Themselves About Tax Reform’s Unpopularity  (Read 3283 times)

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Re: Democrats Are Fooling Themselves About Tax Reform’s Unpopularity
« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2017, 07:08:30 pm »
Is "Joe Sixpack" your label for ordinary hardworking Americans? Obama said they clung to their guns and bibles, and Hillary called them "deplorable."

Trump won by paying better attention to them and what matters to them. Trump got the best tax bill he could, from the GOP's congressional majority.

Practical, results, common sense.

Not arguing with you on that. Just saying that this just passed tax bill is NOT real reform in any shape, form, or fashion.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2017, 07:16:36 pm »
Other than he campaigned for it, pushed for it, lobbied for it, threatened "stragglers" to keep them in line for it, and rallied the base around it...and worked daily with the House Speaker/Senate Leader to keep moving it along against strong opposition...he had little to do with it.

With no Trump, there IS no strong corporate tax cut....no cuts in individual rates...no doubling of the standard deduction...no exuberant stock market...no improving business climate...no 3% growth and rising...no massive cuts in regulatory oversight...and no legislation such as we just won. You substitute Hillary or anyone else, and you know what you get....nothing. Or worse, more taxes and more big government. The man is far from a saint, but pretending he wasn't the driving force behind tax reform is ludicrous.

Buddy....why even bother with these people?

They've graduated from ignorant to stupid, it seems.

Only a moron would suggest that Donald Trump's tenacity and leadership weren't responsible for the passage of the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act.

Do the CEOs of Raytheon or Lockheed design and build prototypes themselves?    :whistle:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2017, 07:17:54 pm »
@Mesaclone

That stock market hasn't been so exuberant the last couple of days.  I follow the market every day because I've taken to tracking the progress of my nest egg, which is half stocks, half bonds.  In the days before passage, the market fell.  Picked up some on Thursday, then fell again on Friday when the bill was signed.  I don't know if I should trust the "experts," but they say the dip is tied to the passage of this tax bill.  I don't know what the market would be afraid of though.  According to the news, some major companies are rejoicing by giving raises  and bonuses and talking about expansion and hiring.

It's called end-of-year tax preparation....when people move assets around to lighten their tax liabilty.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Mesaclone

« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2017, 07:23:05 pm »
Buddy....why even bother with these people?

They've graduated from ignorant to stupid, it seems.

Only a moron would suggest that Donald Trump's tenacity and leadership weren't responsible for the passage of the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act.

Do the CEOs of Raytheon or Lockheed design and build prototypes themselves?    :whistle:

You make a strong point!
We have the best government that money can buy. Mark Twain

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #29 on: December 23, 2017, 09:01:48 pm »

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #30 on: December 23, 2017, 09:18:12 pm »
I have no problem with the tax reform but its effect remains to be seen

What I have a problem with is the tiresome crediting Trump with its passage when he had virtually nothing to do with it.

Fox News‏Verified account @FoxNews 2m2 minutes ago
 .@SpeakerRyan: "Something this big, something this generational, something this profound, could not have been done without exquisite presidential leadership."

Fox News‏Verified account @FoxNews 15s15 seconds ago
 .@OrrinHatch: "We're going to make this the greatest presidency that we've seen, not only in generations, but maybe ever."

Offline anubias

« Reply #31 on: December 23, 2017, 09:21:56 pm »
As I have said elsewhere, the only thing this tax bill will be good for in the long run is defeating democrats at the polls next November and I'm all for that.

As a matter of economics, it sucks  in more ways than one but Joe Sixpack IS going to see a larger bottom line next year and THAT is all that matters to the GOPe.

I agree wholeheartedly, but Ryan needs to be dealt with imo.  I have no doubt he was responsible and used reconciliation as the excuse.  He’s been banging that drum for years.

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #32 on: December 23, 2017, 09:23:13 pm »

Exactly, @Right_in_Virginia

Of course he'll say Ryan and Hatch and McConnell didn't mean a word of it when they publicly praised his leadership effectiveness.

Tell ya....haven't seen this level of stupid in here in a long time.

Offline anubias

« Reply #33 on: December 23, 2017, 09:30:50 pm »

I missed the post you quoted.  Was wondering where all the vitriol was pointed as I didn’t see any comments that were nasty toward Trump.  Now I know.  Should have guessed.   **nononono*

Great pics @Right_in_Virginia

:thumbsup:

« Reply #34 on: December 23, 2017, 09:35:49 pm »
I missed the post you quoted.  Was wondering where all the vitriol was pointed as I didn’t see any comments that were nasty toward Trump.  Now I know.  Should have guessed.   **nononono*

Great pics @Right_in_Virginia

:thumbsup:

Congress admits tax reform wouldn't have happened without the President's leadership .... but there has to be an argument?!  :shrug:

Merry Christmas @anubias   :tree3:

« Reply #35 on: December 23, 2017, 09:37:06 pm »
Exactly, @Right_in_Virginia

Of course he'll say Ryan and Hatch and McConnell didn't mean a word of it when they publicly praised his leadership effectiveness.

Tell ya....haven't seen this level of stupid in here in a long time.

I'm guessing you haven't been looking @DCPatriot   :laugh:

« Reply #36 on: December 23, 2017, 09:44:08 pm »
In all seriousness, the GOP has been without leadership since the last two years of Bush II and all through the eight years of Sparky.

They have that leadership now, and hopefully after remembering what victory tastes like, the Congressional Republicans will want more of it.

Offline To-Whose-Benefit?

• Wulf Anson Author
« Reply #37 on: December 23, 2017, 10:25:32 pm »
In all seriousness, the GOP has been without leadership since the last two years of Bush II and all through the eight years of Sparky.

They have that leadership now, and hopefully after remembering what victory tastes like, the Congressional Republicans will want more of it.

If Trump had nothin' to do with it, how come Team GOPE couldn't mount an effective defense against Team Rat under Sparky on their own?

It's not as if 40% to 50% of the GOPEsters have been primaried out.

They're virtually the same faces, the same lumps that let things get so far out of hand that the best offensive the Dems could mount against them was to sabotage their own Machine by letting the CCF (Clinton Crime Family) own them.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2017, 11:02:41 pm by To-Whose-Benefit? »
My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

In Vol 2 the weapons come out in a winner take all war on two fronts.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

http://wulfanson.blogspot.com