Author Topic: A Dessert-First Tax Bill  (Read 465 times)

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
A Dessert-First Tax Bill
« on: December 21, 2017, 05:49:34 pm »
Now it’s time for spending restraint.
By Kevin D. Williamson
http://www.nationalreview.com/article/454818/tax-cuts-spending-cuts-social-security-medicare-medicaid-military-spending-national-debt-fiscal-responsibility

Republicans have had their spoonful of sugar. Time for the medicine.

Taking the ever-popular dessert-first approach to fiscal policy, Republicans have delivered a very large tax cut. It
has some good features: It lowers the U.S. statutory corporate-tax rate, formerly one of the highest in the world,
to 21 percent, more in keeping with other advanced economies; it expands the standard deduction; it raises the
threshold for the estate tax, which will be of great interest to those of you with parents worth more than the
previous limit of $11.2 million; it caps, though it fails to eliminate, the deduction for state and local taxes, which
is both good policy and SALT in the wounds of Democrats from high-tax states such as California and New Jersey.

It will also add about $1.5 trillion to the national debt.

The Republicans are trying their best to ignore that. They claim, contrary to historical evidence and the views of
most professional economists, that these tax cuts will pay for themselves. This is the right-wing version of the
magical Keynesian stimulus multiplier — a free-lunch fantasy that we can pay for our bloated and expensive federal
government by cutting taxes . . .

. . . I am reminded of two pieces of ancient history here. One is that the main problem with the Gramm-Rudman-
Hollings Balanced Budget Act, passed a generation ago, was that it worked; Congress gutted it as soon as it started
preventing congressmen from doing what they like to do best, which is spend money like rappers with 24 hours to
live. The second is that heroin once was used as a treatment for morphine addiction. If the connection between
those two pieces of trivia eludes you, then you haven’t seen the junkies in Washington when they’re desperate for
a fix. When sequestration was really going, there were tough-guy military contractors in Virginia wailing like
children who’d been told that they cannot have dessert.

Time to eat your spinach, Washington . . .

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline LMAO

Re: A Dessert-First Tax Bill
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2017, 11:35:19 pm »
Good article.

I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2017, 11:37:51 pm »
Professor Art Laffer supports these cuts.

That was good enough for Reagan, so it is good enough for me.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2017, 11:55:14 pm »
I understand the points being made by the article, I really do.  I just can't help but wonder where all these "Deficit Hawks" were when the appropriations bills were being written?  I agree with @truth_seeker on this, Art Laffer is a very intelligent man, and he understands sometimes the beast has to be starved to get it to stop eating.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2017, 12:06:20 am »
I understand the points being made by the article, I really do.  I just can't help but wonder where all these "Deficit Hawks" were when the appropriations bills were being written?  I agree with @truth_seeker on this, Art Laffer is a very intelligent man, and he understands sometimes the beast has to be starved to get it to stop eating.
In international macroeconomic academic circles, cases are made that deficits alone are not a major problem, if in line with overall total economies (GDP).

I have no opinion, but remind that we have listen to warnings since before Reagan's tax cuts in 1981.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2017, 12:09:47 am »
In international macroeconomic academic circles, cases are made that deficits alone are not a major problem, if in line with overall total economies (GDP).

I have no opinion, but remind that we have listen to warnings since before Reagan's tax cuts in 1981.

Correct.

I had a friend once tell me, "We ought to just write off the national debt!"  I asked him if he wanted to be the one to tell all those retirees living off their bond income they're going to have their bonds wiped out?
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2017, 01:25:41 am »
And after. Except that a) both parties agreed even if only tacitly that there'd be no shrinkage in major
spending programs; and, b) the Republican side of that tacit agreement meant more than half the
Reagan tax cut was lost between 1985 and 1989. The 1981 budget cuts notwithstanding, not one
major spending program was abolished
during the Reagan era. Even Reagan himself wasn't
interested in cutting spending so much as keeping it from increasing past x levels. (Education
secretary Terrell Bell's being told of "the great distinction that would be mine if I could, some day
early in the Reagan administration, walk into the Oval Office and hand the president the keys to
the Department of Education and say, 'Well, we've shut the abominable thing down. Here's one
useless government agency out of the way,' was just one example, considering Bell actually had
no intention of seeing that shutdown happen---indeed, handing it over to William Bennett, under
whose aegis three-quarters of the education spending that hiked between 1981 and 1989
occurred.)

And, we saw for ourselves what happened in the second Bush administration. Good tax cuts aplenty. And
a Republican government---you know, the one Reagan really didn't have, control of both
houses of Congress, and how many years did we hear that all we needed was an across-the-board
Republican government before we could really put the beast in its proper places?---going drunken
sailor.

I'm all in favour of tax cuts. But I don't want to be around when this Republican government goes drunken
sailor, too.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Offline LMAO

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2017, 02:00:36 am »
 The spending cuts, especially in entitlements and military spending,are going to have to come. I hope that this is not the beginning of another Bush II years

The problem with making cuts is everyone supports budget cuts as long as they negatively impact the “other guy”

Those in Congress who have to make these decisions are caught in the middle
« Last Edit: December 22, 2017, 02:03:57 am by LMAO »
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2017, 02:36:22 am »
The problem with making cuts is everyone supports budget cuts as long as they negatively impact the “other guy”

Those in Congress who have to make these decisions are caught in the middle
Today's conservative has reached into his heart of hearts, prayed hard, and decided it was high time
the government cut his
neighbour's benefits.---George F. Will, 1978.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2017, 02:36:44 am by EasyAce »