Author Topic: DEMOCRACY DIES IN DIMNESS (Tom Gump)  (Read 902 times)

Offline endicom

DEMOCRACY DIES IN DIMNESS (Tom Gump)
« on: December 21, 2017, 12:20:31 pm »
Power Line
Paul Mirengoff
Dec. 20, 2017

Excerpt:

Hanks acknowledges that, when it comes to politics, “I’m only knowing what I read in the newspapers and what have you.” Naturally, then, he believes that Trump’s attacks on the media amount to “monkeying around with our Constitution.”

Hanks explained:

It is relatively obvious, I think, what is trying to go forward, when you tear down these institutions to a level of, so you can’t believe anything that is in any of them. That raises the stock of those agenda-filled other institutions and whatnot, so that if you can’t believe them, well, that means you get to believe some of the other stuff that is in these.

More... http://www.powerlineblog.com/archives/2017/12/democracy-dies-in-dimness.php

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
Re: DEMOCRACY DIES IN DIMNESS (Tom Gump)
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2017, 12:40:31 pm »
I know that both the media and Trump lie daily and I don't need an actor who pretends for a living to tell me what to believe.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2017, 05:17:11 pm by mystery-ak »

Offline endicom

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2017, 01:55:04 pm »
It's hard to tell what you believe.

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2017, 02:15:10 pm »
Hanks is basically saying we have to believe all the liberal media outlets...only they have the truth.
I'll state here that occasionally the lib media outlets print the truth....mostly by accident.
What many lib outlets are guilty of is the half story. You only hear one side of an issue. Then they can claim they're not lying. Thanks to the half truths, Americans have been denied much of the knowledge concerning numerous important/critical issues facing the country over the last century.
That is the lib media's biggest sin....not the outright lies, but the half truths.

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2017, 02:22:30 pm »
Hanks is basically saying we have to believe all the liberal media outlets...only they have the truth.
I'll state here that occasionally the lib media outlets print the truth....mostly by accident.
What many lib outlets are guilty of is the half story. You only hear one side of an issue. Then they can claim they're not lying. Thanks to the half truths, Americans have been denied much of the knowledge concerning numerous important/critical issues facing the country over the last century.
That is the lib media's biggest sin....not the outright lies, but the half truths.

Thomas Jefferson was correct in placing much of the blame at the feet of the American people and the lack of discernment.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2017, 02:25:13 pm »
Thomas Jefferson was correct in placing much of the blame at the feet of the American people and the lack of discernment.

:thumbsup:
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2017, 02:37:52 pm »
:thumbsup:

People fixate on Jefferson's hatred for the press but he was really only pointing out that they sell what the people want to buy. He said that a newspaper that printed strictly facts would find few subscribers.

"To your request of my opinion of the manner in which a newspaper should be conducted so as to be most useful, I should answer ‘by restraining it to true facts & sound principles only.’ yet I fear such a paper would find few subscribers. it is a melancholy truth that a suppression of the press could not more compleatly deprive the nation of it’s benefits, than is done by it’s abandoned prostitution to falsehood.

Incidentally I live in the only town in the country named after the man that Jefferson wrote the now famous letter to. John Norvell who became Michigan's first senator after statehood wrote to Jefferson for advice on good governance and his opinions on publishing a newspaper.

The letter in its entirety.

https://founders.archives.gov/documents/Jefferson/99-01-02-5737

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2017, 03:17:05 pm »
People fixate on Jefferson's hatred for the press but he was really only pointing out that they sell what the people want to buy. He said that a newspaper that printed strictly facts would find few subscribers.

"To your request of my opinion of the manner in which a newspaper should be conducted so as to be most useful, I should answer ‘by restraining it to true facts & sound principles only.’ yet I fear such a paper would find few subscribers. it is a melancholy truth that a suppression of the press could not more compleatly deprive the nation of it’s benefits, than is done by it’s abandoned prostitution to falsehood.

Incidentally I live in the only town in the country named after the man that Jefferson wrote the now famous letter to. John Norvell who became Michigan's first senator after statehood wrote to Jefferson for advice on good governance and his opinions on publishing a newspaper.

"People fixate on Jefferson's hatred for the press but he was really only pointing out that they sell what the people want to buy."
There is a lot of truth to that.  Many people desperately want to believe certain things and can't be persuaded otherwise by facts and reality.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2017, 04:43:48 pm »

I thought you were in Hanover, or is that just where you grew up?
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2017, 05:04:56 pm »
I thought you were in Hanover, or is that just where you grew up?

I grew up in Hanover but I have lived in the vast metropolis of Norvell for more than 20 years. I think there are nearly 40 of us in this zip code.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2017, 05:23:22 pm »
I take it the lake in your backyard is one of those I see on the Google map......
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2017, 05:36:27 pm »
I take it the lake in your backyard is one of those I see on the Google map......

That's the one.