Author Topic: An Ox, an Ass … a Dragon? Sorry, there were no Animals in the Bible’s Nativity Scene  (Read 870 times)

rangerrebew

20 December, 2017 - 02:00 ancient-origins
An Ox, an Ass … a Dragon? Sorry, there were no Animals in the Bible’s Nativity Scene

From nativity plays to crèche sets to Christmas cards, animals are ubiquitous in our vision of the birth of Christ – but according to the Bible, not a single animal was there. Where did all these animals come from, and why are they now so central to the story?

Only two parts of the Bible talk about Jesus’ birth: the Gospels of Luke and Matthew. Mark and John skip over Jesus’ infancy and head straight to his adult life. So how similar are the narratives of Matthew and Luke to the version familiar to anyone who has attended a Christmas church service or children’s nativity play? Christmas carols such as ‘ Away In A Manger ’ sing about the cattle lowing – and in ‘ Little Drummer Boy ’ they keep time. There’s even a song called ‘ Little Donkey ’ about the beast that carries Mary to Bethlehem in our vision of the Christmas story. But do these images appear in the actual Gospels?

http://www.ancient-origins.net/history-ancient-traditions/ox-ass-dragon-sorry-there-were-no-animals-bible-s-nativity-scene-009313

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Talk about splitting hairs! :rolling:
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Polly Ticks

Ok.  But the For King and Country version of The Little Drummer Boy is awesome!

! No longer available
 ****drummer
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
...and the camel you rode in on! (and your little ass donkey, too!)
« Last Edit: December 20, 2017, 02:22:05 pm by Smokin Joe »
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Cows and other animals eat from mangers.

The Shepherds were told of Jesus' birth and went to see the newborn babe.

Pretty shallow analysis in this article.

Offline Smokin Joe

Cows and other animals eat from mangers.

The Shepherds were told of Jesus' birth and went to see the newborn babe.

Pretty shallow analysis in this article.
Similarly, having fellows walk there carrying gifts on their backs? Or did they park their beasts of burden nearby? Herd animals would likely accompany any group on a trek, for food if nothing else (refrigeration being what it wasn't), so I would expect all sorts of critters in the vicinity.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline RoosGirl

LOL  All of my beliefs are completely turned on their head because it doesn't specifically say that Mary rode a donkey.  I mean, how silly to think that a girl almost 10 months pregnant wouldn't have waddled that whole distance to Bethlehem.

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
A stable is never mentioned in the account.
Countdown to Resignation

Offline Smokin Joe

A stable is never mentioned in the account.
Where else would one find a manger?

C S Lewis

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Where in the Bible does it say everything is in the Bible? Nowhere.     22222frying pan

Offline Texas Yellow Rose

• Native Texan
20 December, 2017 - 02:00 ancient-origins
An Ox, an Ass … a Dragon? Sorry, there were no Animals in the Bible’s Nativity Scene

http://www.ancient-origins.net/history-ancient-traditions/ox-ass-dragon-sorry-there-were-no-animals-bible-s-nativity-scene-009313

From the article: 
All of our stable and manger imagery actually comes from just one Gospel – Luke’s.

In Matthew’s Gospel, Mary and Joseph seem to already live in Bethlehem, and Jesus is born in a house . The magi – the three wise kings – visit Jesus in this version.

Luke, however, gives us an account of the long journey from Nazareth to Bethlehem – and the visit of the shepherds.

aaaa Not exactly: Matthew does not say that Jesus was born in the "house" and Luke does not say the "magi" visited Jesus in the manger. 

G5336 From Strong's Concordance: manger
φάτνη
phatnē
fat'-nay
From πατέομαι pateomai (to eat); a crib (for fodder): - manger, stall.
Total KJV occurrences: 4

G3097 From Strong's Concordance: wise men
μάγος
magos
mag'-os
Of foreign origin [H7248]; a Magian, that is, Oriental scientist; by implication a magician: - sorcerer, wise man.
Total KJV occurrences: 6

What were the stalls/mangers for, if not for animals??  Where else would you put a stall/manger, if not in a stable?? 

Stables:  http://www.ritmeyer.com/2014/12/14/bethlehem-the-inn-and-the-manger/

Offline Neverdul

• Moderator Gubernatorial and State Races
TimHawkins_Christmas Songs

! No longer available

:silly:
So This Is How Liberty Dies, With Thunderous Applause