Author Topic: Michael Savage: Should There Be a Statute of Limitations for Sexual Harassment Claims?  (Read 1151 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Should There Be a Statute of Limitations for Sexual Harassment Claims?
By Michael Savage

Triggered by the recent allegations against Dustin Hoffman reported by Variety, I questioned listeners whether or not there should be a statute of limitations for sexual assault cases.

The point is that the iconic actor Dustin Hoffman is absolutely vilified. Maybe rightly so, but I'm asking another question, which is how far back do you want to go?

Do you want to disinter George Washington? Perhaps he talked dirty to someone in his time. You have to understand that we're living through a cultural madness, a mass hysteria. As the Nobel Laureate James Watson, discoverer of DNA, said, “If you can't be criticized, that's very dangerous. You lose the concept of a free society.”

Continued at: https://www.newsmax.com/michaelsavage/sexual-harassment-misconduct-statute-of-limitations/2017/12/18/id/832334/

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
There is a statute of limitations for sexual harassment claims.  What the hell is he talking about - limiting the First Amendment?

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
No there shouldn't, I'd really like Elizabeth Hurley to explain her behavior to me that one time.   I'm still traumatized. 
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
There is a statute of limitations for sexual harassment claims.  What the hell is he talking about - limiting the First Amendment?

The First Amendment doesn't exempt Slander or Libel.  At what point does an ancient accusation of harassment become subject to those same limitations?  I think that's the point of the article.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
I had an interesting discussion with my spinster never married 58 year old liberal sister, night before last.

She criticized our father, who was a jovial outgoing fellow. She said he was guilty of putting his arm around waitresses.

I told her that was just the way people were, back then. My sister said our mother didn't like it though.

Our parents remained together until his death months before their 50th anniversary.

We are going through an introspective time, whereby "the way the world was/is" is competing with "the way it ought to be" and I doubt much good will come of it.

As we "advance," fewer marriages take place, fewer last, more children are aborted or raised in single-parent homes--usually female.

Younger people use profanity like crazy. Yutes "hook up," yet would instruct their elders about relationships and behavior?
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

I think the focus should instead be on discouraging false allegations instead.

It would be nice if more of these liars would be hauled up by prosecutors and jailed for lying.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Right_in_Virginia

There is a statute of limitations for sexual harassment claims.  ...

What is the statute of limitation to report, investigate and adjudicate such a claim?  What is it and where is that written?

And while you're quoting law ... what is the definition of sexual harassment?

@Sanguine

« Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 11:40:53 pm by Right_in_Virginia »

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
What is the statute of limitation to report, investigate and adjudicate such a claim?  What is it and where is that written?

And while you're quoting law ... what is the definition of sexual harassment?

@Sanguine

Good grief, don't be a twit.  It varies from locale to locale. As does the statute of limitation.  Now, what does that have to do with my very general statement.

Good grief, don't be a twit.  It varies from locale to locale. As does the statute of limitation.  Now, what does that have to do with my very general statement.

I am not a twit @Sanguine   It does not vary from locale to locale.  There are NO statue of limitations on the books for reporting and adjudicating claims of sexual harassment ...  anywhere ...  as we have witnessed these past few weeks.  Just as there is not one clear, accepted definition of sexual harassment or sexual assault. 

You did not make a "very general statement".  You stated ... categorically ... that the author is wrong because there are statues of limitations and he was trying to suppress free speech.

It appears the only wrong statement was yours.   Just own it.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
I am not a twit @Sanguine   It does not vary from locale to locale.  There are NO statue of limitations on the books for reporting and adjudicating claims of sexual harassment ...  anywhere ...  as we have witnessed these past few weeks.  Just as there is not one clear, accepted definition of sexual harassment or sexual assault. 

You did not make a "very general statement".  You stated ... categorically ... that the author is wrong because there are statues of limitations and he was trying to suppress free speech.

It appears the only wrong statement was yours.   Just own it.

*****rollingeyes*****

*****rollingeyes*****

Another compelling reply @Sanguine  In this age of important issues and sharp, rapid debate you're becoming my go to for comic relief.

I thank you.    88devil

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
It's not worth worrying too much about the letter of the law here, it would seem to be ambiguous to me. We are not so much as talking about criminal matters but civil ones it seems.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
It's not worth worrying too much about the letter of the law here, it would seem to be ambiguous to me. We are not so much as talking about criminal matters but civil ones it seems.

Not even that, because civil cases have a Statute of Limitations.  The question is, can "offenses" be brought up decades after the fact in order to destroy the public lives of select people?
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
"Michael Savage: Should There Be a Statute of Limitations for Sexual Harassment Claims?"

Well, ok. If there are none, time to set some:

- Within five years -- worth checking out.

- 5-10 years -- getting too hazy to believe

- More than 10 years -- too late, go bark up another tree.

Silver Pines

Another compelling reply @Sanguine  In this age of important issues and sharp, rapid debate you're becoming my go to for comic relief.

I thank you.    88devil

@Right_in_Virginia

Wow, that level of bitter vitriol was totally uncalled for. 

I see your little red friend again.  Very fitting.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
@Right_in_Virginia

I see your little red friend again.  Very fitting.

@CatherineofAragon @Right_in_Virginia

That is especially obnoxious when you consider RiV is FOS on this one.  There IS, in fact a Statute of Limitations in EEOC regulations.  Look:

https://employment-law.freeadvice.com/employment-law/sexual_harassment/time_limitations.htm
https://www.eeoc.gov/employees/timeliness.cfm

The EEOC reckons it at 180-300 days, after which they won't look at it.

The point of the article. however, isn't about the LEGAL Statute of Limitations, it's "What is the time limit after which it can't be used against public people," and the answer seems to be "never."  Savage then goes on to explain why that's a bad thing.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2017, 03:57:38 pm by Cyber Liberty »
I will NOT comply.

Silver Pines

@CatherineofAragon @Right_in_Virginia

That is especially obnoxious when you consider RiV is FOS on this one.  There IS, in fact a Statute of Limitations in EEOC regulations.  Look:

https://employment-law.freeadvice.com/employment-law/sexual_harassment/time_limitations.htm
https://www.eeoc.gov/employees/timeliness.cfm

The EEOC reckons it at 180-300 days, after which they won't look at it.

The point of the article. however, isn't about the LEGAL Statute of Limitations, it's "What is the time limit after which it can't be used against public people," and the answer seems to be "never."  Savage then goes on to explain why that's a bad thing.

@Cyber Liberty

Yep, right on all counts. 

I guess “twit” nailed it, after all.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
@Cyber Liberty

Yep, right on all counts. 

I guess “twit” nailed it, after all.

Well, generally I prefer not to use the word "twit," but we are dealing with ignorance or a deliberate distortion of the facts.  Either.  :shrug:
« Last Edit: December 19, 2017, 04:16:16 pm by Cyber Liberty »
I will NOT comply.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
Good luck Mikey.

@Right_in_Virginia

Pffft ... @CatherineofAragon   A bit of the pot calling the kettle black, wouldn't you say?

But I do appreciate you taking time out of your guilty until proven innocent crusade to intrude.    :seeya:

Silver Pines

Pffft ... @CatherineofAragon   A bit of the pot calling the kettle black, wouldn't you say?

But I do appreciate you taking time out of your guilty until proven innocent crusade to intrude.    :seeya:

@Right_in_Virginia

I can come back hard when people ask for it—-like you, who openly encouraged the insults thrown at my dead veteran father.  Keep that in mind next time you post some hypocritical article about the military.

@Sanguine did nothing to deserve your yap attack.

As for the Moore thing, let’s not forget you were concerned about the accusations yourself when they came out.  Then you pulled back when you realized Trump hadn’t told you what to think.  So you held off until he gave you your opinion.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
@Right_in_Virginia

I can come back hard when people ask for it—-like you, who openly encouraged the insults thrown at my dead veteran father.  Keep that in mind next time you post some hypocritical article about the military.

@Sanguine did nothing to deserve your yap attack.

As for the Moore thing, let’s not forget you were concerned about the accusations yourself when they came out.  Then you pulled back when you realized Trump hadn’t told you what to think.  So you held off until he gave you your opinion.

Thanks, Catherine.  I am, however, blissfully unaware of what you speak.  I thought I heard some yapping earlier, but decided it was nothing.   ^-^

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
Thanks, Catherine.  I am, however, blissfully unaware of what you speak.  I thought I heard some yapping earlier, but decided it was nothing.   ^-^

That's how I deal with most of what is posted here these days.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵

000hehehehe
I will NOT comply.