Author Topic: CNN's Amanpour: Trump's Use Of "Fake News" Label Undermines Credibility Of Democracy, Our World Orde  (Read 2627 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

CNN's Amanpour: Trump's Use Of "Fake News" Label Undermines Credibility Of Democracy, Our World Order
Real Clear Politics, Dec 15, 2017, Tim Hains

CNN anchors Anderson Cooper and Christian Amanpour discuss reports that leaders of Syria, Myanmar Russia, and other authoritarian states have all used the term "fake news" to dismiss credible reports they disagree with. Ryan Crocker, who has served as ambassador to several middle eastern countries joins the conversation.

Amanpour said that Trump's use of the term has given dictators around the world license to paralyze the press and if it goes on, it will put democracy and the entire world order at risk.

"This is really serious, and it just has to stop. Because it is undermining not just our safety, but the credibility of democracy and the fight against corruption, and the legitimacy of our order, our world order," she said in response to a clip of WH press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders arguing against 'fake news.'

More: https://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2017/12/15/cnns_anderson_cooper_dictators_can_now_dismiss_free_press_as_fake_news.html

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Outside of airports, is anyone watching CNN these days?
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
Meaning that she and Trump have the same goal.

Both are lying degenerates and we all know it.

Offline RetBobbyMI

Sounds like you work for the FBI.  ha ha
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."  -- John Wayne
"Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.� ? Euripides, The Bacchae
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.� ? Laurence J. Peter, The Peter Principle
"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.� ? Bertrand Russell, A History of Western Philosophy

Offline Cripplecreek

Donald Trump made the claim on FOX news that Rafael Cruz was involved in the JFK assassination. Those morons at your favorite "news" outlet sat there nodding like bobbleheads. They couldn't be bothered to do any of that icky journalistic crap like asking follow up questions or investigating the claim. They were too busy basking in the warm glory of urine St Donald was blessing them with.

CNN actually did investigate the claim and said not only could they find no evidence to support Trump's claim but that all evidence pointed to Cruz being in Canada at the time. You know damn well that CNN desperately wanted the story to be true but they showed more integrity than our so called "president" and told the truth about what they found.

Trump himself went on Blitzer's show a few days later and told Blitzer that he had never actually believed the the story but he told it anyway (LIED) because he wanted to win.

So would you like to stick with this little gem of Trumper brilliance
or would you like to squirt another diarrhetic spot of wet Trumper brilliance into the underwear of the internet?

Offline Applewood

Well, we can't believe the news outlets, but we also can't believe Trump or anyone associated with the White House either.  Thar Omarosa story, for example.  Was she fired or did she quit?  Was she dragged out or did she leave quietly?  I'm not sure any versions of that story are entirely true. 

And this is so with maters even not related to Trump.  No one can be sure what is real or phony.

I believe most of the time we are all unwilling participants in a bad reality tv show where nothing is what it seems.  I don't recall signing a contract to participate in this farce and I want out.  Really tired of being lied to and conned.

Offline aligncare

Fake news “label” undermines credibility of democracy? How about the fake news itself?  Is that good for democracy?

Don’t bother, given your leftism your answer would probably be incomprehensible to real Americans.

Offline aligncare

Well, we can't believe the news outlets, but we also can't believe Trump or anyone associated with the White House either.  Thar Omarosa story, for example.  Was she fired or did she quit?  Was she dragged out or did she leave quietly?  I'm not sure any versions of that story are entirely true. 

And this is so with maters even not related to Trump.  No one can be sure what is real or phony.

I believe most of the time we are all unwilling participants in a bad reality tv show where nothing is what it seems.  I don't recall signing a contract to participate in this farce and I want out.  Really tired of being lied to and conned.

Why would you say that? Do you fear Donald Trump is leading us toward leftism? Has he nefarious intent? Personifies every -ism the left accused him of being? Why not trust the president?

I believe he’s earned the benefit of the doubt at this point. Seems he is leading us to be an America as founded, with a smaller less intrusive government, one where citizenship means something again.

I guess I will never understand NeverTrumpism.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!

Pisses me off....  it's on in my Cardiologist's office....the Radiology Center.....and the coin-operated laundromat!  (Can't fit my bedding in the stack unit)   :laugh:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!

Bless your BS-ladened heart.   *****rollingeyes*****
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Applewood

Why would you say that? Do you fear Donald Trump is leading us toward leftism? Has he nefarious intent? Personifies every -ism the left accused him of being? Why not trust the president?

I believe he’s earned the benefit of the doubt at this point. Seems he is leading us to be an America as founded, with a smaller less intrusive government, one where citizenship means something again.

Oh my!  Talk about getting one's shorts in a knot.  But it seems Trump supporters always go into hysterics when they see, hear or read anything that isn't worshipful of their idol. 

I hate to break it to you, but Trump is not perfect.  No one is, of course, but if you do a Google search, you will find stories where he has lied, cheated and stolen from people.  The guy is no saint.  This is how he got ahead in life, not because he is some brilliant businessman. 

But it's not just Trump.  I can't trust anyone anymore, particularly politicians.  And make no mistake.  Trump is a politician. 

Offline Applewood

Pisses me off....  it's on in my Cardiologist's office....the Radiology Center.....and the coin-operated laundromat!  (Can't fit my bedding in the stack unit)   :laugh:

My cardiologist used to have CNN on all the time in the waiting room.  Then his office switched to those daytime trash shows like Jerry Springer or Maury.  Ugh!

Now his office subscribes to some health-related news service that runs a continuous loop of stories mixed in with advertising for medicines, health care products like knee braces and propaganda about the hospital where the doctor practices.  Boring as hell, but it beats CNN and Maury by a mile.

Offline Cripplecreek

My cardiologist used to have CNN on all the time in the waiting room.  Then his office switched to those daytime trash shows like Jerry Springer or Maury.  Ugh!

Now his office subscribes to some health-related news service that runs a continuous loop of stories mixed in with advertising for medicines, health care products like knee braces and propaganda about the hospital where the doctor practices.  Boring as hell, but it beats CNN and Maury by a mile.

I wish I could have gotten a photo of it but yesterday I walked past one of the waiting rooms where I work and there was an Amish man, his wife and daughter siting together under the TV they always have on TV Land. I think the Andy Griffith show was on.

Offline Victoria33

@Cripplecreek
@mystery-ak

Christian Amanpour could have been a member of my family.  I often wondered how I could deal with that if she was in my house.

My son was making a documentary film about landmines.  Lady Diana was part of that film, as was Amanpour.  She liked my son and wanted her sister to date him.  The sister called Wayne to make a date but he told her he had a girlfriend (he later married that girlfriend).  I barely missed having Amanpour as a family member.

An aside:  Amanpour was a close friend of John Kennedy - they went to the same university and were close friends.

Offline dfwgator

Silver Pines

@aligncare

Why do you need to?  Someone doesn’t like a politician.  It’s not that big of a deal.

Offline dfwgator

@dfwgator

Who?

Of course, Amanpour.  A President's use of the "Bully Pulpit" does not undermine the credibility of Democracy.

Offline RetBobbyMI

About 9 months ago I walked into a waiting room and it had CNN on.  I asked the desk clerk if they would change the channel to something other than the Communist News Network and be fore she could say anything I got a loud cheer.  She went and called the office manager who changed the channel but gave a cold look to me.  I told them as I was checking out, that if that was the kind of news they believed in, I would be changing my doctor. They had nothing to say.  I changed my doctor.
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."  -- John Wayne
"Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.� ? Euripides, The Bacchae
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.� ? Laurence J. Peter, The Peter Principle
"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.� ? Bertrand Russell, A History of Western Philosophy

Offline aligncare

Oh my!  Talk about getting one's shorts in a knot.  But it seems Trump supporters always go into hysterics when they see, hear or read anything that isn't worshipful of their idol. 

I hate to break it to you, but Trump is not perfect.  No one is, of course, but if you do a Google search, you will find stories where he has lied, cheated and stolen from people.  The guy is no saint.  This is how he got ahead in life, not because he is some brilliant businessman. 

But it's not just Trump.  I can't trust anyone anymore, particularly politicians.  And make no mistake.  Trump is a politician.

Trump’s steadily reduced burdensome federal regulations! That alone is like WOW, he’s right on immigration, taxes, health care, military, I could go on. My goodness, does he have to walk on water?

He’s keeping his promises, regardless of google’s breathless stories – 95 percent of these manufactured since announcing his run for president. Go back further to 80’s, 90’s, 2000’s and you get a different picture of the man.

I look at Trump’s actions, and his words which haven’t changed from his campaign, and they just don’t resemble what his critics are saying about him. It’s ludicrous to say he didn’t build his own success. He didn’t build it? No sale.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2017, 08:11:15 pm by aligncare »

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
About 9 months ago I walked into a waiting room and it had CNN on.  I asked the desk clerk if they would change the channel to something other than the Communist News Network and be fore she could say anything I got a loud cheer.  She went and called the office manager who changed the channel but gave a cold look to me.  I told them as I was checking out, that if that was the kind of news they believed in, I would be changing my doctor. They had nothing to say.  I changed my doctor.

888high58888  Wish we had a few million more like you!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline LMAO

My local gym has it on
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Silver Pines

Of course, Amanpour.  A President's use of the "Bully Pulpit" does not undermine the credibility of Democracy.

@dfwgator

Ah, gotcha.  Well, she's always been one who loves to hear herself spout.