Author Topic: Women have rejected the GOP — the ship must be righted, and fast  (Read 1167 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Women have rejected the GOP — the ship must be righted, and fast
By Mindy Finn, opinion contributor — 12/16/17 10:00 AM EST
The views expressed by contributors are their own and not the view of The Hill

Roy Moore was rejected this week. You may have heard the collective sigh of relief from women across the country. For many of us, it was a welcome reassurance that there is a moral line even rock-ribbed conservative voters will not cross. Deep south, red state voters in Alabama collectively rebuked a credibly accused sexual predator and refused to compromise moral integrity for political expediency.

The election in Alabama was not the first for Republicans featuring an allegedly misogynistic or sexually abusive candidate. But by and large, in my lifetime, such candidates represented the loathsome fringe and were confronted and quietly excised from within. Conservative women could look at cases like Todd Akin and take solace that while the party contained fringe elements, the leadership opposed those elements.

more
http://thehill.com/opinion/campaign/365219-women-have-rejected-the-gop-the-ship-must-be-righted-fast
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline musiclady

Re: Women have rejected the GOP — the ship must be righted, and fast
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2017, 04:10:41 pm »
Well, I have rejected the GOP, but it has nothing to do with my being a woman.

It has to do with my believing character and conservative principles need to be the driving force in the party.

No political party has ever had a corner on character, and we conservatives have always been the minority of the party, but the GOP at least used to try.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2017, 04:18:03 pm »
Well, I have rejected the GOP, but it has nothing to do with my being a woman.

It has to do with my believing character and conservative principles need to be the driving force in the party.

No political party has ever had a corner on character, and we conservatives have always been the minority of the party, but the GOP at least used to try.

Yup I'm no woman but I won't be voting GOP and won't be returning till the GOP returns to federalist conservatism with integrity and honor.

Online Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2017, 04:28:34 pm »
Oh, the hyperbole.

888ohnoes

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2017, 04:50:51 pm »
Yup I'm no woman but I won't be voting GOP and won't be returning till the GOP returns to federalist conservatism with integrity and honor.
@musiclady
@Cripplecreek
@Freya
@CatherineofAragon
@musiclady
@mystery-ak

I said Republican women would not vote for Moore and men here didn't believe it.
The article on this thread says that happened and says Republican women will keep rejecting such candidates, either not vote or vote for the Democrat.

Unfortunately, as has been truth since men and women have been on this earth, women have been thought of as "furniture", not living beings.  That began to change after Christ was on earth, giving women status as worthwhile human beings, no longer furniture.  Finally, women were allowed to vote and furniture can't vote. 

If one examines voting history in the US, women tend to vote more often than men do.  If one looks at who works at elections in a county, there are more women workers than men workers.  There are more women election judges than men judges.  I taught election judges/clerks, and the rooms were full of women, with some men, and men lawyers tended to show up for the information, not because they were judges.

The article tells it as it is and I expect most men will discount it as drivel.  That is a mistake - women are no longer furniture.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2017, 04:58:30 pm »
I won't be abandoning the unborn innocents, look elsewhere for that. Go GOP!

Yeah, tell me about integrity and honor!!  :silly:

@Cripplecreek

« Last Edit: December 16, 2017, 04:59:18 pm by TomSea »

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2017, 05:00:25 pm »
@Victoria33

My great grandmother's first vote was for Calvin Coolidge. A true constitutional conservative federalist.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2017, 05:05:00 pm »
The author completely overlooks all the prominent Republicans who spoke out against Moore. 

Offline TomSea

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2017, 05:09:01 pm »
Let's see who wrote this:

Mindy Lisa Finn[1] (born February 10, 1981)[2] is an American entrepreneur and digital media strategist, who was a candidate for Vice President of the United States in the 2016 election as the running mate of Evan McMullin.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mindy_Finn

She worked for Romney and Bush, so her interests are exposed. Maybe she can join Evan McMullin and be a guest on that pillar of conservatism, MSNBC.

Oh, I get it, some wouldn't vote for Romney either.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2017, 05:16:52 pm »
Unmarried motherhood is the trend. First blacks, then Hispanics and later white women. No husband.

Who needs a husband, when US (uncle sugar) taxpayers will fund a relatively middle class lifestyle for them and their future inmate children?

Growing up without  a father in the home, is the single greatest predictor of bad life outcomes; school dropout, poverty, drugs, prison, etc.

Thanks, New Mom's of America. Vote your own self-interest.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline TomSea

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2017, 05:20:40 pm »
It's clear that a major reason the GOP lost in Alabama was that blacks voted in greater numbers than they did even for Obama. I guess, I could write an opinion piece that the voters saw Moore as being racist with the same kind of logic she is pushing.

Online Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2017, 05:40:58 pm »
It's clear that a major reason the GOP lost in Alabama was that blacks voted in greater numbers than they did even for Obama. I guess, I could write an opinion piece that the voters saw Moore as being racist with the same kind of logic she is pushing.

Disagree ...  just under 23,000 Republicans voted for a "write in" candidate.... tipping the scales to Jones even with the larger black turnout.  Moore won by 20, 715 votes.

A total of 22,819 write-in votes were cast Tuesday, according to the Secretary of State's office. While the list of those receiving write-in votes has not been released, the totals for each county is available. Here's a list of the number of write-ins in each county:

http://www.al.com/news/index.ssf/2017/12/alabama_senate_election_how_ma.html 

Online Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2017, 05:43:31 pm »
How 22,800 Write-In Votes Changed the Alabama Senate Election
New York Times, Dec 13, 2017

MONTGOMERY, Ala. — As supporters of Roy S. Moore on Wednesday sifted the results of his stunning loss in Alabama, one number jumped out: About 22,800 write-in votes were cast, more than the gap separating Mr. Moore, the scandal-plagued Republican, from the victorious Doug Jones, the first Democratic senator elected in the state in a quarter-century.

Many of the votes are thought to have been cast by Republicans displeased by Mr. Moore but unwilling to cross party lines, and who wanted to register a protest.

“I would bet strongly it was good Republican voters who couldn’t stomach voting for Roy Moore, but didn’t want to stay home,’’ said Brent Buchanan, a Republican strategist in Alabama. “It was a protest vote.’’

Read more: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/13/us/alabama-senate-jones-moore-writeins.html

Offline TomSea

« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2017, 05:45:38 pm »
Disagree ...  just under 23,000 Republicans voted for a "write in" candidate.... tipping the scales to Jones even with the larger black turnout.  Moore won by 20, 715 votes.

I said "a reason", I did not say "the reason", it's interesting to see one take an issue with what I wrote rather than the author's points which I think are weak, in fact, this article is a hatchet job.

Around 93% of black men and 98% of black women voted for Doug Jones, showing up to the polls in numbers that almost matched the 2008 election.
https://www.nbcnews.com/think/opinion/don-t-thank-black-women-roy-moore-s-loss-fight-ncna829681

That's all I'll say, I won't read the usual "I don't get your point" or "I don't understand what you wrote"; believe that a larger African American turnout was not a reason if one must.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2017, 05:48:46 pm »
This author, Mindy Finn, did write a real hatchet job.

It's like Rush said, you can only vote for what is before one. One can write-in a candidate's name but that likely won' t win an election.

It would have been worse imo, if the White House had urged Moore to drop out of the race.  Some suggested that. That would look like the Federal Government interfering in local and state elections.  Some would say the WH waited until too late.

Flawed elections happen sometimes, I think it's like David Limbaugh said, with this close of a margin, it's difficult to say it's really of great significance, one side edged the other.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2017, 05:58:40 pm »
This author, Mindy Finn, did write a real hatchet job.

It's like Rush said, you can only vote for what is before one. One can write-in a candidate's name but that likely won' t win an election.

It would have been worse imo, if the White House had urged Moore to drop out of the race.  Some suggested that. That would look like the Federal Government interfering in local and state elections.  Some would say the WH waited until too late.

Flawed elections happen sometimes, I think it's like David Limbaugh said, with this close of a margin, it's difficult to say it's really of great significance, one side edged the other.

I'm still amazed that Moore almost pulled it off.

Online Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2017, 07:46:22 pm »
I said "a reason", I did not say "the reason", it's interesting to see one take an issue with what I wrote rather than the author's ..

@TomSea you said black voting was a "major reason" for the loss.  I simply disagree.  Even with the larger black turnout Moore would have won the election if the "conscience" voters had stayed with the team.  This is what lost the election.

And, please ... let me know if there's a TomSea list of do's and don'ts when it comes to posting.  I wouldn't want to get your knickers in a twist again. 

Online corbe

« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2017, 08:00:09 pm »
Women’s role in Alabama senate campaign gives clues to 2018 Midterms

By Jen Kerns, opinion contributor — 12/16/17 01:40 PM EST

The views expressed by contributors are their own and not the view of The Hill

In the aftermath of the U.S. Senate race in Alabama, it has become clear that Roy Moore’s loss can be chalked up mostly to one man — Roy Moore.

Certainly, the allegations against him by various women played a large part, and that is precisely attorney Gloria Allred’s modus operandi of using the court of public opinion to affect elections against big, bad republican men. However, one cannot ignore the fact that Moore’s own lack of ability to sufficiently explain or defend himself from the allegations led to his demise.

A watershed moment that likely determined the outcome of the campaign occurred weeks before a single voter cast a ballot: Moore’s appearance on “Hannity” where he left viewers, the media and voters feeling uneasy.

<..snip..>

http://thehill.com/opinion/campaign/365244-womens-role-in-alabama-senate-campaign-gives-clues-to-2018-midterms
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2017, 08:06:33 pm »
@musiclady
@Cripplecreek
@Freya
@CatherineofAragon
@musiclady
@mystery-ak

I said Republican women would not vote for Moore and men here didn't believe it.
The article on this thread says that happened and says Republican women will keep rejecting such candidates, either not vote or vote for the Democrat.

Unfortunately, as has been truth since men and women have been on this earth, women have been thought of as "furniture", not living beings.  That began to change after Christ was on earth, giving women status as worthwhile human beings, no longer furniture.  Finally, women were allowed to vote and furniture can't vote. 

If one examines voting history in the US, women tend to vote more often than men do.  If one looks at who works at elections in a county, there are more women workers than men workers.  There are more women election judges than men judges.  I taught election judges/clerks, and the rooms were full of women, with some men, and men lawyers tended to show up for the information, not because they were judges.

The article tells it as it is and I expect most men will discount it as drivel.  That is a mistake - women are no longer furniture.

Good post, @Victoria33 - but it's not going to sit too well with a few of the boys who are clearly missing their couches and chairs.....  ^-^
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2017, 09:56:24 pm »
Worth pondering . . .

. . . Moore’s eventual loss to Jones is a mere sampling of what the Republican
party should expect if it can’t find a way to resolve the tension between its established political
leadership, its voters, and the hard-right strategists such as [Steve] Bannon, who appear willing
to burn the party down to achieve their own ends.

It is blessedly rare for a candidate to be credibly accused of sexually assaulting underage women
— and those accusations against Moore undoubtedly played a tremendous role in Jones’s ultimate
win. But Moore was a highly unfit candidate even before those allegations emerged, and yet he
somehow made it through two rounds of primary voting unscathed, and, until mid November,
was well positioned to end up in the Senate.

One key takeaway from this debacle is the need for voters to become more invested in the primary
process. In the August GOP primary, just 18 percent of voters turned out, and in the September
runoff that percentage dropped to 14. Roy Moore has never been intensely popular among Alabama
Republicans, but those who didn’t like him clearly didn’t show up to vote for his primary opponents.

---Alexandra DeScantis, National Review

Roy Moore always looked like he was going to make it past the first round of the GOP primary.
However, rather than trying to ally with the populist-but-electable Mo Brooks, establishment-aligned
forces such as the Senate Leadership Fund spent buckets of money attacking Brooks. Moreover, the
establishment also convinced President Trump to endorse Luther Strange. The strategy was clear:
Kneecap Brooks in order to have Strange cruise to victory in a Strange-Moore runoff. In the short term,
it was successful. Polls taken between August 8 and 10 (before the Trump endorsement could be fully
felt) had Strange ahead of Brooks by only a few points. By the August 15 primary, however, Brooks was
decisively beaten. (Trump’s endorsement couldn’t lift Strange all the way to the nomination, but it did
likely help him beat Brooks.)

However, as Tuesday’s results show, that strategy didn’t quite work out over the long term. Heading
into 2018, the Republican establishment might at times need to compromise with populist upstarts.
That might include supporting them in primaries or trying to offer them support for alternative races
(for instance, there are a few open Republican-leaning House seats that Kelli Ward could run for).

Meanwhile, populists are going to need to start vetting their candidates more seriously. There were
plenty of warning signs that Roy Moore would be a vulnerable candidate in the general election.
Supporting someone just because they inspire “librul tears” can be a counterproductive electoral
strategy. It also might not be the best political strategy. The fact that someone is shocking doesn’t
mean he can draft legislation, persuade the body politic, or forge a legislative coalition. And it certainly
doesn’t mean he can win elections.

---Fred Bauer, National Review
« Last Edit: December 16, 2017, 09:56:49 pm by EasyAce »

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2017, 10:03:17 pm »

Then there will never be another candidate again, because if someone as sterling in character as Roy Moore can be brought low by waggin tonguies, character doesn't matter at all. In fact, it is a deficit. What you do is assuring more folks like Trump, because only a boorish ass has no honor to worry about, and any man of honor won't bother running, as his honor will inevitably be torn from him in the process.

If the honor of a man cannot be upheld, then neither the honor of a woman.

Utter pap.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2017, 10:06:07 pm by roamer_1 »