Author Topic: FCC votes to kill net neutrality rules  (Read 6497 times)

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
Re: FCC votes to kill net neutrality rules
« Reply #100 on: December 15, 2017, 07:42:15 pm »
It's not intruding into any individual person's life. It's intruding into corporations (who are not people) to make sure THEY don't intrude into our lives.

These corporations are worse then the govt.  They have no real responsibility and its next to impossible for an individual to hold them responsible.  You're only option is to turn off the internet or go to another company that does the same thing.

They aren't operating as a free market.  Most of them are run by people with a global mindset and are a virtual monopoly.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #101 on: December 15, 2017, 07:45:26 pm »
For the same reasons having the government make roads open to everyone is a benefit to everyone.

The telecom companies do nothing for the consumer, their only interest is making money.   Not in a free market way but in a monopolistic way.

So if they don't like content they will now make it harder for people to see it.   Political, economic, religious views they don't like can be made to disappear.

Do you watch amazon or netflix?   Well now they'll be able to charge you more to connect to those services.  But their video streaming services won't be?

The list is endless but what we'll end up with is higher costs and lower levels of service. Not to mention the impact on access to non-PC information.

Roads around here are garbage and congested. Bad analogy if you want to be pro-nn.

Offline driftdiver

« Reply #102 on: December 15, 2017, 07:46:51 pm »
Roads around here are garbage and congested. Bad analogy if you want to be pro-nn.

I hear its because of the crappy drivers.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #103 on: December 15, 2017, 07:54:56 pm »
It's not intruding into any individual person's life. It's intruding into corporations (who are not people) to make sure THEY don't intrude into our lives.

Everyone of your complaints boils down to one thing: You are a bitter poor person living in a nowheresville shithole. If you are so upset with not getting the type of internet service you think you are "owed" either move to a real place or find your wallet and get a satellite internet service. Ever hear of Hughesnet?

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #104 on: December 15, 2017, 07:56:03 pm »
The benefits of electing Trump continue to accrue. ^-^  :patriot:

They do.  I like most of what he is doing.  He's definitely rolling back some horrible Obama mandates.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #105 on: December 15, 2017, 07:56:25 pm »

I also don't know how you can equate internet service to a Round A Bout.

Offline driftdiver

« Reply #106 on: December 15, 2017, 07:56:29 pm »
Everyone of your complaints boils down to one thing: You are a bitter poor person living in a nowheresville shithole. If you are so upset with not getting the type of internet service you think you are "owed" either move to a real place or find your wallet and get a satellite internet service. Ever hear of Hughesnet?

@Frank Cannon
Man some people are just nasty good for nothings

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #107 on: December 15, 2017, 07:58:39 pm »
@Frank Cannon

Some people don't like hearing the truth. Read through all those complaints he had about Net Neutrality being shuttered and tell me you don't see a common denominator.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #108 on: December 15, 2017, 08:00:58 pm »
@txradioguy
I don't have a wish except to go back to where the internet is the same for everyone.  Where the telco's cannot mess with your traffic and have to treat all users the same.

So you're in favor then too I guess of all airlines being forced to provide only one level of seating for all fliers because to provide business class and first class isn't fair to those that can't afford to upgrade their seat.

I mean after all you want it the "same for everyone" right?

This change doesn't keep the govt out of our internet.  If anything it give them more power to control what we see.  It will facilitate the technology to control delivery of information on a per user basis.   This is Chinas wet dream.

No "neutrality" is their and apparently your wet dream.  You're fear mongering and completely ignoring the facts from within the actual regulation that I posted earlier.

As it stands the federal govt has access to every email, every website, every phone call, every text message you make.  All real time and without a warrant.  This change allows them to do away with users, website, and information they don't like.

Really?  Care to show me where int he regulation it says that.

As it stands you're supporting the ability of the Federal government to control what you see and how fast you're able to see what they allow...shut down websites (like this one) if it's of a political genre they don't like and limit and restrict your ability to search the web.

Wonderful.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #109 on: December 15, 2017, 08:08:44 pm »
So you're in favor then too I guess of all airlines being forced to provide only one level of seating for all fliers because to provide business class and first class isn't fair to those that can't afford to upgrade their seat.

I mean after all you want it the "same for everyone" right?

This right here is what this all boils down to.

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
« Reply #110 on: December 15, 2017, 08:19:07 pm »
@Frank Cannon

Frank tells it like it is.  No sugar coating bullshit. No fluff.   Just the facts Jack.
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #111 on: December 15, 2017, 08:20:30 pm »

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #112 on: December 15, 2017, 08:23:19 pm »
Frank tells it like it is.  No sugar coating bullshit. No fluff.   Just the facts Jack.

Not into facts jacks. More of a waffle guy.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #113 on: December 15, 2017, 08:37:05 pm »

Sorry, Frank, waffle you are not.

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
« Reply #114 on: December 15, 2017, 08:38:33 pm »

Don't want to start a flap but waffles just don't stack up to cakes.
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #115 on: December 15, 2017, 08:59:42 pm »
Some things to consider about net "neutrality" that are in the legislation that was just repealed.

The plan repeatedly states that it is only deferring a decision on new broadband taxes (such as Universal Service Fund fees and Telecommunications Relay Service fees, among others)—not prohibiting them. And it takes pains to make clear that nothing in the draft is intended to foreclose future state or federal tax increases. Indeed, the plan engages in the same two-step we saw last year with respect to the E-Rate program: Lay the groundwork to increase taxes in the first order, and then raise them in the second. One independent estimate puts the price tag of these and other fees at $11 billion.

The plan allows class-action lawsuits—with attorneys’ fees—should any trial lawyer want to challenge an Internet service provider’s network management practices or rates. Indeed, the plan expressly declines to forbear from sections 206 and 207 of the Act, which authorize such private rights of action. And it adopts a theory of broadband subscriber access services—that is, services that broadband providers supply to edge providers—that would allow anyone online to file a complaint or go to court. The end result will be more litigation and less  innovation.

The plan expressly states that usage-based pricing, data allowances—really, any offers other than an unlimited, all-you-can-eat data plan—are now subject to regulation. Indeed, the plan finds that these practices will be subject to case-by-case review under the plan’s new “Internet conduct” standard. That standard evaluates at least seven vaguely defined factors in determining whether a practice is allowed. The plan makes clear that these practices are now on the chopping block, with those of mobile operators under special scrutiny. This means that consumers who use less data may end up subsidizing consumers who use more data. Moreover, the President’s plan goes out of its way to say that sponsored-data plans and zero-rating programs, like T-Mobile’s Music Freedom offering, may violate the new standard for Internet conduct. Preventing companies from differentiating themselves from the competition by giving consumers a wide variety of options will mean less choice and less free data for consumers. If you like your current service plan, you should be able to keep your current service plan. The FCC shouldn’t take it away from you.

The plan clearly states that the FCC can regulate the rates that Internet  service providers charge for broadband Internet access, for interconnection, for transit—in short, for the core aspects of Internet services. To be sure, the plan says that the FCC will not engage in what it calls ex ante rate regulation. But this only means that the FCC won’t set rates ahead of time. The plan repeatedly states that the FCC will apply sections 201 and 202 of the Communications Act, including their rate regulation provisions, to determine whether the prices charged by broadband providers are “unjust or unreasonable.” The plan also repeatedly invites complaints about section 201 and 202 violations from end-users and edge providers alike. Thus, for the first time, the FCC would claim the power to declare broadband Internet rates and charges unreasonable after the fact. Indeed, the only limit on the FCC’s discretion to regulate rates is its own determination of whether rates are “just and reasonable,” which isn’t much of a restriction at all.

The plan goes out of its way to reiterate its view that competition is limited. And it uses the FCC’s new 25 Mbps yardstick for broadband to claim that competition doesn’t exist for a majority of Americans.

This press release was from before it was passed in 2015.  Did any/all of those terrible things come to pass?
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #116 on: December 15, 2017, 09:02:47 pm »

So you're good with government intruding into our lives when we own or run a business.

Control business, and you got an 'Ism which eventually comes down to government control over the individual.

Interesting how many on "our side" are perfectly happy with that.

No wonder the era of Big Government is just beginning.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #117 on: December 15, 2017, 09:09:04 pm »
That is exactly how I see it too. Not winning and not a benefit.

@jpsb and @driftdiver

Okay, I'm something of a dummy about this but I always disagree with you two, so I'm gonna guess that this is a very good thing.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #118 on: December 15, 2017, 09:14:32 pm »
So you're good with government intruding into our lives when we own or run a business.
So you're good with corporations intruding into our lives and not having anyone stop it. Come to think of it, government is a corporation in which all citizens share a stake--and the one from which all other corporations get their existence and liability protections. You are fine with stopping THAT corporate meddling in our lives. But other corporations can?
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline driftdiver

« Reply #119 on: December 15, 2017, 09:16:56 pm »
@jpsb and @driftdiver

Okay, I'm something of a dummy about this but I always disagree with you two, so I'm gonna guess that this is a very good thing.

@Emjay
Welcome to the light.  :)

Seriously though I've worked in telecom, and have them as customers now.   They budget for a certain amount of customer "churn" or loss.   They reduce customer service spending until they have that budgeted loss.   Actually delivering what they sell or promise isn't a factor.  Its only did the customer get so pissed off they left or not.

These companies are looking at their business model.   Verizon sold off a bunch of their datacenters because of the cost.  They bought companies like yahoo.  They are doing this because providing access requires a lot of $$$.   Controlling information (aka google) doesn't.

Google makes HUGE money and they do it through marketing and controlling what you see on the internet.  To date they've done it through their search engine.   telecoms think they can have more control because they also control the access.  More control = more money in their minds. 

Offline The_Reader_David

« Reply #120 on: December 15, 2017, 09:17:33 pm »
Winning!

For people who want ISP's to be able to direct traffic on the internet, censor content, and the like, sure.

You do realize that the top execs at all tech companies and media companies, Verizon, AT&T and Comcast included are all left-leaning on social policy.
And when they behead your own people in the wars which are to come, then you will know what this was all about.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #121 on: December 15, 2017, 09:20:56 pm »
For people who want ISP's to be able to direct traffic on the internet, censor content, and the like, sure.

You do realize that the top execs at all tech companies and media companies, Verizon, AT&T and Comcast included are all left-leaning on social policy.

Gee, how did we ever survive before Obama came along with "Net Neutrality"......(and "Affordable Health Care" for that matter).

Offline driftdiver

« Reply #122 on: December 15, 2017, 09:22:02 pm »

Control business, and you got an 'Ism which eventually comes down to government control over the individual.

Interesting how many on "our side" are perfectly happy with that.

No wonder the era of Big Government is just beginning.

@INVAR
I run a business.  I guarantee the govt is all over my business and effects things I do every single day.   This is about the govt allowing virtual monopolies the power to determine whether your business can be seen by customers.   It means allowing them to takes sites like this  one and preventing people from seeing it.

Offline driftdiver

« Reply #123 on: December 15, 2017, 09:22:36 pm »
Gee, how did we ever survive before Obama came along with "Net Neutrality"......(and "Affordable Health Care" for that matter).

Hyperbole much?

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #124 on: December 15, 2017, 09:47:06 pm »
So you're good with corporations intruding into our lives and not having anyone stop it. Come to think of it, government is a corporation in which all citizens share a stake--and the one from which all other corporations get their existence and liability protections. You are fine with stopping THAT corporate meddling in our lives. But other corporations can?

Where are you in this pic?