Author Topic: Gout  (Read 430 times)

rangerrebew

Gout
« on: December 14, 2017, 03:11:26 pm »
Gout

By Sally Robertson, BSc

Gout is a form of arthritis that causes inflammation and severe pain in joints such as the knee, foot, ankle or wrist and particularly in the base of the big toe.

Gout is a reaction that occurs when a chemical called uric acid forms sodium urate crystals in the joints. The crystals can also form in ligaments and tendons around the joints, as well as underneath the skin. Gout usually only affects one joint in the body, but may sometimes involve more than one joint, in which case the condition is referred to as polyarticular gout. This is more likely to develop in older individuals and particularly in women.

https://www.news-medical.net/health/Gout.aspx

Offline Applewood

Re: Gout
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2017, 08:49:07 pm »
I have gout and I would not wish an attack on my worst enemy.  The pain can be excruciating.  For me, it feels like something is broken.  I can't take NSAIDS or steroids, so the best I can do during an attack is elevate the affected foot, ankle or whatever, apply ice for the swelling and maybe take Tylenol, although Tylenol does little for the pain. 

I don't get too many attacks now that I've lost weight and all but given up steaks and certain seafood.  Makes me sad that I can't enjoy some of my favorite food, but thinking about the pain of a gout attack keeps me from eating too much of what I shouldn't.