Author Topic: GOP's Shelby played key role in Alabama Democrat's victory  (Read 1410 times)

Offline DiogenesLamp

GOP's Shelby played key role in Alabama Democrat's victory
« on: December 14, 2017, 12:32:11 am »

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Credit six-term Republican Sen. Richard Shelby for Democrat Doug Jones' shocking win in Alabama, senators from both parties said Wednesday.

Shelby, Alabama's senior senator and the state's most influential official, publicly opposed GOP nominee Roy Moore and declared before the election that "the state of Alabama deserves better" than a former judge accused of sexual contact with teenage girls decades ago.

A former Democrat, Shelby, 83, announced weeks before the election that he had already cast an absentee ballot for another, unspecified Republican, even as President Donald Trump and other prominent state Republicans stood up for Moore.

"I give the Alabama voters a lot of credit for the courage in rejecting Roy Moore's candidacy and I think Sen. Shelby deserves a lot of credit for speaking out and encouraging people to write-in a Republican candidate" other than Moore, said Sen. Susan Collins, a Maine Republican who also opposed Moore.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_ALABAMA_SENATE_SHELBY?SITE=MYPSP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2017-12-13-18-00-24

And here is what a real piece of sh*t looks like. 

‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Re: GOP's Shelby played key role in Alabama Democrat's victory
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2017, 12:34:01 am »
They were determined to exclude Roy Moore from the senate regardless of what they had to do to prevent it.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2017, 12:41:34 am »

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_ALABAMA_SENATE_SHELBY?SITE=MYPSP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2017-12-13-18-00-24

And here is what a real piece of sh*t looks like.

The new Arlen Sphincter.

Offline Fantom

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2017, 12:44:28 am »
The new Arlen Sphincter.

Please...don't remind me of that ass.
Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet deprecate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground, they want rain without thunder and lightning, they want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters.

Frederick Douglass

Offline Fantom

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2017, 12:47:09 am »
They were determined to exclude Roy Moore from the senate regardless of what they had to do to prevent it.

I am far from Evangelical... but when moderates...R.I.N.O.s do not support one.... the only (R) in the race. It is hard to argue Conservatives and Evangelicals should S'port the likes of a Romney/McLaim.
Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet deprecate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground, they want rain without thunder and lightning, they want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters.

Frederick Douglass

Online IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2017, 12:54:18 am »
30 years in the swamp.  Shelby is a creature that must be primaried.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline DiogenesLamp

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2017, 01:03:21 am »
30 years in the swamp.  Shelby is a creature that must be primaried.

I think much of the troubles that beset us would be remedied,  or greatly alleviated by term limits.   

Swamp creatures become entrenched.   

‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

Offline RetBobbyMI

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2017, 01:03:29 am »
his time is a cumin' too.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2017, 01:03:49 am by RetBobbyMI »
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."  -- John Wayne
"Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.� ? Euripides, The Bacchae
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.� ? Laurence J. Peter, The Peter Principle
"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.� ? Bertrand Russell, A History of Western Philosophy

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2017, 03:25:43 am »
Just because he said he wrote in the name of a distinguished Republican and didn't vote for Moore. Really, I might not agree with that but it shouldn't be a big deal. Mo Brooks was class and endorsed Moore, so God Bless Mo.

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2017, 12:51:03 pm »
Maybe the fact that Moore was a s**t candidate is the reason why Jones won???
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Ronald Reagan: “Rather than...talking about putting up a fence, why don’t we work out some recognition of our mutual problems and make it possible for them to come here legally with a work permit…earning here they pay taxes here.”

Online libertybele

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2017, 12:56:45 pm »
Maybe the fact that Moore was a s**t candidate is the reason why Jones won???

What part of McConnell, who is leader of the GOP Senate and did everything he could to ensure that Moore lost even though it meant losing a seat to the DEMS don't you comprehend?    22222frying pan
« Last Edit: December 14, 2017, 12:58:04 pm by libertybele »
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2017, 01:18:59 pm »

I think much of the troubles that beset us would be remedied,  or greatly alleviated by term limits.   

Term limits would do a lot to help the country move forward instead of stagnation, which is what we have now. However, term limits would also have to apply to the bureaucracy as well a politicians.

It is the entrenched bureaucracy, what we call 'the deep state', that wields power well beyond their stations. These guys have been working together for 20-25 years, they have weeded out anyone who was not onboard with their version of government, and they never ever leave. They are about as far from a 'public servant' as you can imagine. The bureaucracy in D.C. has evolved to form a shadow government, which as as strong or stronger than the elected government. Until they are brought under control, the effect of term-limits on just politicians would be not be as effective as it should be.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2017, 01:30:13 pm »
Kudos to Sen. Shelby for sticking his neck out for principle.    The number of write-ins exceeded Jones' margin of victory,  so it appears his example may have persuaded others to do the right thing.   

In the long run,  the courage of Shelby and others will redound to the benefit of the GOP and conservatives.   Moore is a sorry symbol of the worst of identity politics infecting the Republican party.   The only reason to defend this turdblossom was to keep the seat in Republican hands.   But the cost would have been enormous - and could have brought down President Trump himself.

It is no accident that some of the most partisan Dems I know were rooting for Moore to win.  He'd have been the gift that kept on giving to the Dems -  helping them to fund-raise,  and paint conservatives as religious cranks without moral scruples.   The promised ethics investigation would have led to the ugly scene of the Senate seeking to remove the voters' own choice - a marker that, applied to the President, could have spelled his doom. 

The voters of Alabama knew of Moore's moral character, and rejected him.   That is, thank God, for the best.   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2017, 01:33:41 pm »

I disagree.   Term limits are an affront to democracy, an acknowledgement that voters are fools who can't be trusted to decide for themselves who to represent them.   

There are better ways to address the advantages of incumbency than to tell voters they can't choose the leaders they want.   

Online libertybele

« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2017, 01:47:15 pm »
Kudos to Sen. Shelby for sticking his neck out for principle.    The number of write-ins exceeded Jones' margin of victory,  so it appears his example may have persuaded others to do the right thing.   

In the long run,  the courage of Shelby and others will redound to the benefit of the GOP and conservatives.   Moore is a sorry symbol of the worst of identity politics infecting the Republican party.   The only reason to defend this turdblossom was to keep the seat in Republican hands.   But the cost would have been enormous - and could have brought down President Trump himself.

It is no accident that some of the most partisan Dems I know were rooting for Moore to win.  He'd have been the gift that kept on giving to the Dems -  helping them to fund-raise,  and paint conservatives as religious cranks without moral scruples.   The promised ethics investigation would have led to the ugly scene of the Senate seeking to remove the voters' own choice - a marker that, applied to the President, could have spelled his doom. 

The voters of Alabama knew of Moore's moral character, and rejected him.   That is, thank God, for the best.

Jazz I understand where you're coming from and you make some valid points.  However, Moore was NEVER proven to be guilty, in fact IMHO evidence seems to prove otherwise.  The DEMS AND the GOPe will continue to use an ugly smear campaign to seat who they want; so, in essence, "they" are selecting the candidate in the primaries for us.  Trump unfortunately used these deplorable smear tactics when he ran against Cruz and even went so far as to falsely accuse his father of assassinating Kennedy.  With the MSM obliging to spread fake news and slinging false accusations are now acceptable, why would any upcoming conservative risk their reputation to run against anyone in the DC swamp or for that matter political office?  Even IF they had no skeletons in their closet, the RINO's, DEMS and the MSM would be sure to likely add a few.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2017, 01:50:06 pm »
I disagree.   Term limits are an affront to democracy, an acknowledgement that voters are fools who can't be trusted to decide for themselves who to represent them.   

There are better ways to address the advantages of incumbency than to tell voters they can't choose the leaders they want.   

@Jazzhead
lol thats only because if we got rid of the senile Senators you'd have more trouble pushing through your radical agenda.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2017, 01:58:41 pm »
That Marine, Busby also started a write-in campaign about 2 weeks ago.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2017, 02:05:12 pm »
Just because he said he wrote in the name of a distinguished Republican and didn't vote for Moore. Really, I might not agree with that but it shouldn't be a big deal. Mo Brooks was class and endorsed Moore, so God Bless Mo.

I bet Shelby voted for Jones. He’s still a Rat at heart.

Oceander

« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2017, 02:09:33 pm »
So many people spending so much time in Egypt .....

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2017, 02:15:32 pm »

We were never to be a democracy despite the efforts you and the Marxist Left work tirelessly at to turn us into one.

Career politicians were never the intention of the Founders, nor was the corruption and the oodles of cash to create dependency of their constituencies for largesse from the taxpayer treasury.

Despots and the corrupt vie for democracy.

Just like you.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2017, 02:17:35 pm »
We were never to be a democracy despite the efforts you and the Marxist Left work tirelessly at to turn us into one.

Career politicians were never the intention of the Founders, nor was the corruption and the oodles of cash to create dependency of their constituencies for largesse from the taxpayer treasury.

Despots and the corrupt vie for democracy.

Just like you.

Just like me?  How about just like you?   Your kind plays with folks' immortal souls - and assumes them to be fools.   

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2017, 02:26:08 pm »
Just like me?  How about just like you?   Your kind plays with folks' immortal souls - and assumes them to be fools.   

That is actually funny coming from someone who just the other day, consigned my soul to hell.  But then, you're a master of projection.

But then again, I've shown you where scripture specifically states that the behaviors you advocate, celebrate and push on us, will not inherit the Kingdom of God.  But you have ignored them.

You're busy leading people to eternal death.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2017, 02:33:15 pm by INVAR »

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Online IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2017, 02:51:22 pm »

Sticking his neck out?  Shelby has been in the Senate for 30 years now and his term will not end until he is 89.  He is not representing his constituents nearly as much as simply being comfortable in his old age as he sips bourbon with his Senate colleagues.  He knew Moore would not drink with him and Jones would.

And 'ethics investigation' is a laugh.  The Senate Ethics Committee has averaged investigating over one Senator a year during 1977 and 2008 and had a pathetic track record as it is simply a curtain for Senators, just like the slush fund for sexual allegations payoffs.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2017, 03:26:46 pm »
But then again, I've shown you where scripture specifically states that the behaviors you advocate, celebrate and push on us, will not inherit the Kingdom of God.  But you have ignored them.

You're busy leading people to eternal death.

I don't "advocate" sinful behavior.  But I do advocate for the equal protection of the law. 

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2017, 03:46:13 pm »
I don't "advocate" sinful behavior.  But I do advocate for the equal protection of the law.

Bullshit.

Yes you do.

You advocate for homosexuality, and have done so since I've been on this board.