Author Topic: Democrats see path to Senate majority after Alabama win  (Read 358 times)

Offline corbe

Democrats see path to Senate majority after Alabama win
« on: December 14, 2017, 01:36:18 am »
Democrats see path to Senate majority after Alabama win

By Lisa Hagen and Ben Kamisar - 12/13/17 08:19 PM EST

Democrat Doug Jones’s historic win in Alabama cuts the GOP’s lead in the Senate to 51-49, and gives the Democrats a narrow path to winning back the majority in the 2018 midterm elections.

Democrats face a tough task retaking the Senate, as their party has to defend more than 20 seats while Republicans are only defending eight. But President Trump’s low approval ratings and a backlash against Republicans from suburban voters, first seen in Virginia’s elections last month and now in Alabama, are good news for Democrats.

The path to a Senate majority is straightforward.

Democrats will need to gain two seats, first by securing a win in Nevada, the only state Hillary Clinton won in 2016 with an incumbent Republican senator on the ballot next year. Arizona, where Sen. Jeff Flake is retiring, has also long been seen as a potential pickup, while Democrats have a strong candidate for Tennessee’s open seat.

<..snip..>

http://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/364814-democrats-see-path-to-senate-majority-after-alabama-win
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Online dfwgator

Re: Democrats see path to Senate majority after Alabama win
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2017, 01:37:54 am »
Congratulations you Alabama "principled Conservatives".  Just remember your piety when Trump's SCOTUS picks are DOA.

Offline Fantom

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2017, 01:41:49 am »

If anything, democrats taking Sessions seat will show the need for more R's.. not the collins/murCowskee/Mclaim type Flakes either.

I S'pect that the R's are going to win big in the Senate. Probably end up around 57- 43. The House can be flaky, I figure maybe a 10 seat loss  or less for the R's.
Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet deprecate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground, they want rain without thunder and lightning, they want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters.

Frederick Douglass

Offline Fantom

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2017, 01:43:13 am »
Congratulations you Alabama "principled Conservatives".  Just remember your piety when Trump's SCOTUS picks are DOA.

They were not "Principled Conservatives"... they were R.I.N.O.'s
Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet deprecate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground, they want rain without thunder and lightning, they want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters.

Frederick Douglass

Offline skeeter

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2017, 01:43:25 am »
Yeah, last nights win gave the progressives a real shot in the arm. The first one they've had since last year.

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2017, 03:15:33 am »
"Democrats see path to Senate majority after Alabama win"

This was part of the plan from the beginning.

The democrat-communists know McCain is on his way out (I believe he's back in the hospital right now), and by preventing Moore from winning, the Senate is down to 51-49. If McCain isn't there, it's 50-50.

And with turncoats Corker and Flake, along with mealy-mouthed Collins from Maine and Murkowski from Alaska, victory is within their grasp.

It's easy to blame Moore and/or McConnell for this.

But ... when you get down to it... I'm pointing a finger straight at the rank-and-file dumba$$ Alabama Republican voters (50% or so who didn't show up, vis-a-vis the turnout for Trump in 2016, as documented elsewhere in this forum).

Don't those Republicans understand the importance of keeping control of the Senate as taking precedence over 40-year-old accusations against Moore?
Can't they see the larger picture?

Again, sounds like a lot of those folks are... dolts.

I'm a dummy, but even I comprehend that old line about "the only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing".

Sometimes all you have to do is vote.