Author Topic: Roy Moore refuses to concede, says Alabama Senate race ‘not over’  (Read 10485 times)

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
Re: Trump Urges Moore To Concede Alabama Senate Race
« Reply #125 on: December 16, 2017, 08:05:36 pm »

He might run for President as a Constipation Party Candidate.   In fact he more of a candidate for that party than the GOP.

I agree.

And if he runs and gets the nomination from that party - he will get my vote.

I no longer vote for anyone in the Republican party.  We might as well vote for a Democrat  because we get nearly the same results for slightly different stated reasons.  But the end result is the same: an entrenched big Statist Government Oligarchy.

We need to start over, or call the Republic done and finished.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline DiogenesLamp

« Reply #126 on: December 16, 2017, 08:29:32 pm »
There were more R votes that stayed home and said 'no thanks' than ones that cast protest ballots.  Moore just wasn't actually the draw the primary would have everyone believe.

"Draw"?   How much "draw"  does an accused child molester rapist normally produce?   What sort of Republican would be "drawn"   to such a person?   

Talk about ignoring the elephant in the room.   

If I am reading this document right,   Roy Moore received 1,051,627 votes in 2012. 

For some strange reason,   ~400,000 people who voted for him before,   stayed home.     Could it be they were deterred by the scandal and the urging of Republican party officials,  especially their other Senator Richard Shelby,  urging people to stay away or vote for someone else?   

Years ago my high school had a hypnotist/entertainer hold a show in our auditorium.    Among the other hilarious things he did,   he hypnotized this one fellow into forgetting the number "7".    He then snapped his fingers and "awoke"  the subject,  and asked him to count to "10". 

The fellow counted "1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 8, 9, 10."    We in the audience tittered.    He then asked the fellow to do it again.   The fellow counted  "1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 8, 9, 10."   Again we laughed.   He asked the guy if there was something wrong with his count,  and of course the guy said "No".   So the hypnotist suggested they try something different.   

"What is 3 + 4?"  He asked.   
The guy said "Six!"   (everyone laughed.) 

"No,"  the hypnotist said,  "that's 3 +3."
"What is 3+4?"  He asked again. 
The guy said "Eight!"   (Again everyone laughed.)   

The fellow was looking bewildered and didn't understand what was so funny. 

The hypnotist said "How about telling us how much is 10 - 3?"   
The guy looked at him strange and said:   "I don't know."   

"You don't know what 10 - 3 is?   I thought you were a high school student!"   

My point here is this.    What I am seeing going on here and elsewhere is this exact same sort of denial of reality,  and the substitution of other explanations because the real answer seems to be mentally blocked for some reason.   

Every time I encounter this phenomena,  I think back to that performance by the hypnotist.   

I have learned a long time ago that we will sometimes hypnotize ourselves into having mental blocks of information we don't like. 

‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

Online corbe

I agree.

And if he runs and gets the nomination from that party - he will get my vote.

I no longer vote for anyone in the Republican party.  We might as well vote for a Democrat  because we get nearly the same results for slightly different stated reasons.  But the end result is the same: an entrenched big Statist Government Oligarchy.

We need to start over, or call the Republic done and finished.

@INVAR it's been awhile since I remember you saying anything about the few Conservatives we have in the House or Senate but hypothetically if you lived in say Texas or Utah would you vote for the likes of a Cruz or Lee?

I do share your fatalism of the GOP as a whole, it is dem lite.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
    @INVAR it's been awhile since I remember you saying anything about the few Conservatives we have in the House or Senate but hypothetically if you lived in say Texas or Utah would you vote for the likes of a Cruz or Lee?

I do share your fatalism of the GOP as a whole, it is dem lite.

It's not even Dem-lite when judging their fruits and recalling their actions against the grassroots, the Tea Party and Conservatives they have made it clearly known they want GONE from their party.  Their rules have been rewritten to ensure an actual Constitutional Conservative does not get a national nod, and now the party will work with Democrats to sabotage any Conservative candidate a constituency nominates that the Oligarchy does not support, even to the point of encouraging their members to vote for the Democrat or a write-in.

I will vote for Conservatives running in a third party.  I'm not wasting my time working for or supporting anyone running in the GOP.

The idea of putting Conservatives in a corrupted national Statist party is silly if one is expecting Conservative results.

I'm done practicing insanity.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Silver Pines

Maybe Alabamans (is that correct) just did what they wanted to do.  Up until the election, we were saying we would leave it to them. 

On the positive side, Moore will have some time now to get those lawsuits started. 

Online corbe

It's not even Dem-lite when judging their fruits and recalling their actions against the grassroots, the Tea Party and Conservatives they have made it clearly known they want GONE from their party.  Their rules have been rewritten to ensure an actual Constitutional Conservative does not get a national nod, and now the party will work with Democrats to sabotage any Conservative candidate a constituency nominates that the Oligarchy does not support, even to the point of encouraging their members to vote for the Democrat or a write-in.

I will vote for Conservatives running in a third party.  I'm not wasting my time working for or supporting anyone running in the GOP.

The idea of putting Conservatives in a corrupted national Statist party is silly if one is expecting Conservative results.

I'm done practicing insanity.

I get your point @INVAR I will try not to ask you that for at least a couple more months. 
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #131 on: December 16, 2017, 10:28:32 pm »
If I am reading this document right,   Roy Moore received 1,051,627 votes in 2012. 

For some strange reason,   ~400,000 people who voted for him before,   stayed home.

You are reading it right and the percentage that he got was 51, just a 2 point margin against a Democrat in a state where Republicans vastly outnumber them.

There are some other election numbers you can research on him, if you like. The first time he ran for district judge, he got 62% of the vote.  When he ran for Supreme Court the first time, he got 60%. In the last election you cited, he'd dropped 9 points with his own base.  The he times he ran for governor, his numbers were terrible. 

In the initial runoff, he received 164,524 votes.  The number of people voting for someone else was 258,578.  He then won against Strange, because many of those people obviously didn't care for either one and probably stayed home.

The point being, Moore's numbers were on a downward trend as judge and abysmal for consideration as governor.  The more they heard from him, the less popular he became. All of this was long before any scandal with women.  He was not a big draw among Republican voters in his own state prior to the national attention of this race.

Your irrelevant anecdotes don't change that.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2017, 11:01:07 pm by edpc »
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Frank Cannon

Maybe Alabamans (is that correct)

They prefer to be called "Sons of the Soil".

Online corbe

If the South, during the Civil War, had half the Manufacturing base the North did @Frank Cannon you'd be typing with a Southern drawl and that thought alone repulses me.

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon

Yes.   You've got to remember that these are just simple farmers. These are people of the land. The common clay of the new South....
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline Frank Cannon

If the South, during the Civil War, had half the Manufacturing base the North did @Frank Cannon you'd be typing with a Southern drawl and that thought alone repulses me.

LOL. Yeah, and if the Mets would have decent players they would win the World Series again.

BTW can you recall why the South didn't bother with manufacturing stuff themselves?

Offline Frank Cannon

Yes.   You've got to remember that these are just simple farmers. These are people of the land. The common clay of the new South....

Last time I went through AL, the old south and the new south kinda look the same.

Offline DiogenesLamp

Maybe Alabamans (is that correct) just did what they wanted to do.  Up until the election, we were saying we would leave it to them. 

Didn't happen.    Some Washington Post turd-bag came into the state and dragged up some mentally ill kooks to make accusations,  and then outside the state party officials decided to meddle too. 

On the positive side, Moore will have some time now to get those lawsuits started.

It's pointless to go after the women.  They don't have a pot worth pissing in.  The Washington post will have the defense that they were just "reporting"  what the women said,  and they didn't make any allegations themselves.   Gloria Allred would seem to be the only target worth going after,  but the fact she did her slime-ing in New York means that Moore would face a much more hostile jury pool,  and so he wouldn't likely prevail in the Empire State.   

And so reality and practicality will likely do nothing to alleviate your smugness.   
‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

Online corbe

LOL. Yeah, and if the Mets would have decent players they would win the World Series again.

BTW can you recall why the South didn't bother with manufacturing stuff themselves?

It's not as you probably prophesize Frank that we couldn't teach 'our' Slaves to run the machines, it's more likely that we figured 'why bother' you Yankee slum lords would just tax the $hit out of our production anyway.

Offline RetBobbyMI

« Reply #139 on: December 16, 2017, 11:17:52 pm »
Good ol' boys club running the Republican party?
The so called good ol’ boys didn’t cast all the votes for Moore in the primary, but certainly tried to destroy him in the general
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."  -- John Wayne
"Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.� ? Euripides, The Bacchae
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.� ? Laurence J. Peter, The Peter Principle
"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.� ? Bertrand Russell, A History of Western Philosophy

Offline musiclady

« Reply #140 on: December 16, 2017, 11:23:35 pm »
The so called good ol’ boys didn’t cast all the votes for Moore in the primary, but certainly tried to destroy him in the general

If it makes you feel better to think that, go for it.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
The thing is, if one talks about "outside" interference from the GOP at least, McConnell was born in Alabama, Bannon went down there and it sounds like he played his favorite who was Roy Moore.

Otherwise, we might have had Luther Strange running who would have likely trounced Doug Jones.

Mo Brooks, per Hannity the other day, he may well have been a "Ted Cruz type", per Hannity. So, they might have wanted to try to block Brooks, they may well have tried to block Trump but he won anyway.

Offline TomSea

It's not as you probably prophesize Frank that we couldn't teach 'our' Slaves to run the machines, it's more likely that we figured 'why bother' you Yankee slum lords would just tax the $hit out of our production anyway.

Corbe is at it again.

000hehehehe

Online corbe

@TomSea it's all academic at this point BUT Trump blocked Brooks on the recommendation of Mitch who wanted his butt buddy Strange. It was a CF from the get go.

Online corbe

How dare you @TomSea post an unflattering image of my Hero. You keep this up and I will report you to the appropriate authorities. @FogLady

Offline TomSea

@TomSea it's all academic at this point BUT Trump blocked Brooks on the recommendation of Mitch who wanted his butt buddy Strange. It was a CF from the get go.

The point is, people are complaining about outsiders coming in, it sounds like Bannon did it from early on.

Offline DiogenesLamp

« Reply #146 on: December 16, 2017, 11:37:35 pm »
You are reading it right and the percentage that he got was 51, just a 2 point margin against a Democrat in a state where Republicans vastly outnumber them.

Got to get your talking points in. 

Wonder if this had an impact?

The October before the election, Vance received endorsement in a letter signed by a highly respected line up of both Republican and Democratic current and former Alabama Supreme Court Justices.

Looking at the other judicial races in Alabama,  it appears all the other judge candidates ran unopposed.  Getting down to the election for the Presidency of the Public Service Commission,  the vote total for the Republican (Twinkle Cavanaugh) was 1,078,108 making the difference about 26,481.    He got 54% of the vote. 

Was he a bad candidate too?  Do you suppose that 3% of the vote difference was because Roy had prominent enemies in the State and the other guy didn't?   

Was going to reply to the rest of your message,  but I have to go,  so it will have to be another time.   
— Lord Melbourne —

Offline Frank Cannon

Corbe is at it again.

000hehehehe

Tommy. Whats your malfunction. Everyone knows Ted isn't from Canada. We have definitive evidence that the Zodiac hailed from Cali.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
The October before the election, Vance received endorsement in a letter signed by a highly respected line up of both Republican and Democratic current and former Alabama Supreme Court Justices.

Which kind of attests to the fact Moore was not a big draw among Republicans, or they wouldn't have done it.  Face it, the guy was a loser.

The only other logical conclusion you can reach about the election is that Alabama voters are malleable dupes that don't have their own opinions and just accept what 'Soros-funded groups' and 'the media' feed them.

Some of the defenders of Moore, post defeat, have challenged the candidate for title of most pathetic.  Not an easy task, so good job.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2017, 12:01:03 am by edpc »
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Silver Pines

@Frank Cannon

Lol, stop