Author Topic: …. And A Migrant Runs Through It  (Read 386 times)

Offline mountaineer

…. And A Migrant Runs Through It
« on: December 13, 2017, 12:57:30 am »
…. And A Migrant Runs Through It
Allen E. Rizzi
September 11, 2015

I have been living in Italy since 2003. Before entering Italy, my wife and I were required to obtain a visa. Then we were required to obtain a “permesso di sooggiorno” (permit to stay) which needed to be renewed every two years at a cost of over $200 apiece. We also had to stipulate that we were living in Italy of our own will, had sufficient financial resources as not to a burden on the state and that we would not take a job in the country. Such are the prices to be paid if one wants to live in another country.

Having endured this program for nearly a decade and a half, we are baffled at the current migrant problems in Europe. Illegal migrants in Italy are treated royally, given 35 Euro a day to live and are usually provided with a smart phone to boot. Many (not most) refuse to do the legal paperwork or work for a living. We know one man from Nigeria who has been here illegally for 12 years and lives a comfortable life on the backs of the Italian saps who continue to pay his way. Today, the entrances of most supermarkets are lined with people who ask for money because the 35 Euro a day seems not to be enough for them. Apparently cigarettes and very cool clothes cost a bit more.  ...

The bottom line is simple truth. Europe can not accept everyone who wants to come here. It is simply not possible. If people want to move to other countries, there are legal means for which to do so. Illegal immigrationn hurts everyone including the migrants themselves. It is also fundamentally unfair to those who have immigrated legally. It is effectively disrupting and killing off tourism and forcing countries to spend millions of Euros that they don’t have for administration and policing expenses. The current policies are just not doable.   ...  Read the entire essay
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org