Author Topic: Hooray concealed Carry reciprocity? Not so fast  (Read 1012 times)

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
Hooray concealed Carry reciprocity? Not so fast
« on: December 12, 2017, 01:26:32 am »
https://www.conservativereview.com/articles/hooray-concealed-carry-reciprocity-not-so-fast

Our congressional Republicans run away from most opportunities to pass conservative policies. Worse, they squander their few opportunities to pass conservative-leaning legislation that almost all of us can agree on. Case in point? The concealed carry reciprocity bill.

Almost all factions of the GOP believe that there should be universal carry and reciprocity between the states, similar to driver’s licenses. The Concealed Carry Reciprocity Act (H.R. 38), sponsored by Rep. Richard Hudson, R-NC, is the best reciprocity bill and has 213 co-sponsors. It should have been passed out of the House months ago or even during last Congress. It should already be on the president’s desk. But no.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline driftdiver

Re: Hooray concealed Carry reciprocity? Not so fast
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2017, 01:27:02 am »
Article explains why the house passed it.   It's not good.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2017, 07:23:18 am »
Key points from the article:

• The entire rule of this bill was dishonest. Many members weren’t even aware of the fact that there was a gun-control provision because it still had the title H.R. 38 — the reciprocity bill — with no mention of the NICS provision

• There is absolutely no commitment in the Senate to pass a reciprocity bill. But the Senate will pass the NICS bill by itself. Thus, why should conservatives agree to support a preemptive surrender on NICS when there is no ironclad commitment to pass any reciprocity bill?

• In a nutshell: The last NICS “improvement” bill was passed under a Republican president and then was used by a Democrat president to go after seniors and veterans. And now Congress is trying to repeat the process.

• In short, this bill will pressure federal agencies and states to place as many names as possible on the list to meet quotas.

Folks, this is just a glimpse into the dishonesty of the GOP and its allies: the enablers of the Left.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline thackney

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2017, 12:54:56 pm »
...The bill gives $500 million over five years to the states to mine names of those suspected of any possible criterion for denying them a firearm and placing them into NICS without due process. Federal agencies are also threatened with the loss of bonuses if they fail to comply with the new mandate. The agencies, not the courts of law, will adjudicate individual rights for denials...

This is not a bill we want made into law.

If the Feds want to push the states into accepting conceal carry, it should be done by enforcing the 2nd Amendment, not adding new federal laws and regulations.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2017, 01:26:33 pm »

Almost all factions of the GOP believe that there should be universal carry and reciprocity between the states

Not those of us who respect the 10th Amendment.   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline driftdiver

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2017, 01:28:13 pm »

@Jazzhead
Funny how you are ok using the 10th amendment to suppress the 2nd amendment.

Offline thackney

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2017, 01:31:24 pm »
@Jazzhead

Requiring a permit does not equal "shall not be infringed".

Federal laws to force one state to accept the laws of another state is not a conservative stance.

Offline driftdiver

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2017, 01:33:45 pm »

Federal laws to force one state to accept the laws of another state is not a conservative stance.

@thackney
Allowing states to infringe the 2nd amendment rights is not a conservative value.

The Federal govt should protect the 2nd, not ignore the states and local govts efforts to block it.

Offline driftdiver

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2017, 01:40:51 pm »
It seemed weird that this bill rushed thru the House with so little comment by the left.   This article explains why.

This is a bad bill and will make it easier to prevent you from purchasing a firearm without due process.   

Its GOP sponsored Gun Control supported by the NRA.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2017, 01:44:33 pm »

Funny how the 10th doesn't apply to homosexuality or abortion in your world.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline thackney

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2017, 01:52:16 pm »
@thackney
Allowing states to infringe the 2nd amendment rights is not a conservative value.

The Federal govt should protect the 2nd, not ignore the states and local govts efforts to block it.

Agreed the fed should protect the 2nd.  So do that, enforce the 2nd amendment as written in the Constitution.

Do not add layers upon layers of Federal law requiring States to accept differing State Laws, without any means of the local population having control in their own state.

Offline driftdiver

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2017, 03:21:41 pm »
Agreed the fed should protect the 2nd.  So do that, enforce the 2nd amendment as written in the Constitution.

Do not add layers upon layers of Federal law requiring States to accept differing State Laws, without any means of the local population having control in their own state.

@thackney
IMO we shouldn't need a concealed permit to carry.   There's a very real danger of them turning the CWP into a firearm license.  Already many people think you have to have a permit to own a firearm.

Concealed carry reciprocity is a very difficult task and the current method of different states deciding what to accept seems to work ok.  Except for states like NY, CA, IL and MD.

Offline thackney

« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2017, 03:38:22 pm »
@thackney
IMO we shouldn't need a concealed permit to carry.   There's a very real danger of them turning the CWP into a firearm license.  Already many people think you have to have a permit to own a firearm.

Agreed.

Concealed carry reciprocity is a very difficult task and the current method of different states deciding what to accept seems to work ok.  Except for states like NY, CA, IL and MD.

Agreed.  Having the Fed step in to force reciprocity is a bad idea.  It will turn into a federal permit program.  And really screw things up for the states that already have constitutional carry laws.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2017, 06:10:51 pm »
@Jazzhead
No surprise when you consider he is all in with using the 14th to suppress the First.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2017, 06:12:03 pm »
Agreed.

Agreed.  Having the Fed step in to force reciprocity is a bad idea.  It will turn into a federal permit program.  And really screw things up for the states that already have constitutional carry laws.
Yep. The reason I renewed my CCW permit is not for in-state, but for when I am elsewhere. Besides, mine includes other dangerous weapons besides firearms.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2017, 06:48:06 pm »

I'm uncomfortable with a lowest common denominator rule for concealed carry permits.  To me, the single most important thing on which people need to be educated/trained is exactly where they are permitted to carry, and where they are not; restrictions such as whether you can consume alcohol while carrying, and how you should intereact with a police office if you are carring and happened to be stopped/pulled over.  This last one is important.  I think states should have the right to specify some minimal level of training for permitting people to carry within its borders.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2017, 06:50:04 pm »
Looks like it was a classic political bait and switch. Sad to see the NRA helping to further the violations of gun owners rights.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline thackney

« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2017, 06:51:56 pm »
I'm uncomfortable with a lowest common denominator rule for concealed carry permits.  To me, the single most important thing on which people need to be educated/trained is exactly where they are permitted to carry, and where they are not; restrictions such as whether you can consume alcohol while carrying, and how you should intereact with a police office if you are carring and happened to be stopped/pulled over.  This last one is important.  I think states should have the right to specify some minimal level of training for permitting people to carry within its borders.

I think the biggest success of conceal carry permits (and not being frequently used in crime) is the carrier has some skin in the game, something to lose, that helps motivate their behavior.  But the fact of the class, registry and cost tends to limit the carriers to those already in this mode.

I am not in favor of the feds being involved.  Keep it to individual states and let the voters push the issue.