Author Topic: U.N. Official Shocked at Poverty In Rural Alabama  (Read 6126 times)

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
Re: U.N. Official Shocked at Poverty In Rural Alabama
« Reply #50 on: December 12, 2017, 02:45:32 am »
The timing on this report is interesting too.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #51 on: December 12, 2017, 06:05:19 am »

America is the only country on Earth where people designated as being in poverty, have electricity, a refrigerator, central air conditioning, clean running water, cable tv, a cellphone, and a car. Poverty in America is upper middle class in the rest of the world.
Hey! We have the fattest poor people on the planet (except the meth/crack/smack crowd).
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #52 on: December 12, 2017, 01:22:05 pm »
It is an amazement - what most folks are cussing on this thread, I'm trying to get back to.
Yep. No clue.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
« Reply #53 on: December 12, 2017, 01:45:36 pm »
Curious. What are they cussing?
Countdown to Resignation

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
« Reply #54 on: December 12, 2017, 02:01:38 pm »
Hey! We have the fattest poor people on the planet (except the meth/crack/smack crowd).

I love watching those two groups mingle/waddle/stumble in their natural habitat....

any night at Wal*Mart.
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #55 on: December 12, 2017, 03:41:34 pm »
Curious. What are they cussing?
Self sufficiency. It doesn't mean luxury, but, at whatever level you live, it means freedom.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #56 on: December 12, 2017, 03:43:17 pm »
I love watching those two groups mingle/waddle/stumble in their natural habitat....

any night at Wal*Mart.
Our WalMart is more diverse. We have a majority of relatively normal people who frequent it, simply because there are no other big stores in the area like it.

C S Lewis

Online Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #57 on: December 12, 2017, 04:15:07 pm »
These stories generally only come out when a Republican is in charge. Did you see these sorts of articles during Obama's time in office? Hardly.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #58 on: December 12, 2017, 04:41:07 pm »
These stories generally only come out when a Republican is in charge. Did you see these sorts of articles during Obama's time in office? Hardly.
Same with the homeless in big cities: nonexistent during the Clinton and Obama administrations.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline mirraflake

« Reply #59 on: December 12, 2017, 08:11:22 pm »
While there is an element of truth to what you say there is plenty of poverty in America.  Plenty of people starving, homeless, unable to find a job.    America is becoming a third world country with all of our wealth and knowledge being shipped out of the country.

Not sure about starving part but agree with the rest.

In the past we had manufacturing jobs that paid decent(would not get rich bit did ok in life)  for the people that did not have the ambition or knowledge to get a higher education. Now those jobs are gone and these people are on  the govt dole.

Our local Community College has free 2 year education for people graduating from HS. Have to maintain a 2.50 GPA. The classes are empty and the school is begging for students to enroll in this program.

Much of this is low ambition and laziness.

@driftdiver

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #60 on: December 12, 2017, 08:26:01 pm »
Not sure about starving part but agree with the rest.

In the past we had manufacturing jobs that paid decent(would not get rich bit did ok in life)  for the people that did not have the ambition or knowledge to get a higher education. Now those jobs are gone and these people are on  the govt dole.

Our local Community College has free 2 year education for people graduating from HS. Have to maintain a 2.50 GPA. The classes are empty and the school is begging for students to enroll in this program.

Much of this is low ambition and laziness.

@driftdiver

Why go to school when there are no jobs.   Its easier to live on welfare and stay high all the time.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline mirraflake

« Reply #61 on: December 12, 2017, 09:55:56 pm »
Why go to school when there are no jobs.   Its easier to live on welfare and stay high all the time.

Lots of jobs out there. If none in their town they need to move where the jobs are.

@driftdiver

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #62 on: December 12, 2017, 10:17:42 pm »
Same with the homeless in big cities: nonexistent during the Clinton and Obama administrations.

True dat
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #63 on: December 12, 2017, 10:59:43 pm »
Ever been to Amsterdam?  I bet 20% of the city is not working and on dope.  Handouts by govt create a situation that no one wants to work.  They have to be paid by the govt.

This is why I absolutely hate welfare.

I robs the individual's incentive to be productive.

Charity by the private sector is the only type of welfare that should be allowed.  They force individual responsibility which our govt does not care about.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #64 on: December 12, 2017, 11:22:44 pm »
Lots of jobs out there. If none in their town they need to move where the jobs are.
"Out there?" Be more specific. Explain how someone needs to uproot their whole life and family to chase jobs that may not exist by the time they get "out there." They could get out there and end up in the same position they are now, rejected by all employers in the human-resources game, and now living in a place more expensive than before. Moving to where the jobs supposedly are is easier said than done.

Maybe bachelors can afford that luxury, but it's not viable for everyone.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2017, 11:28:43 pm by jmyrlefuller »
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Online roamer_1

« Reply #65 on: December 12, 2017, 11:31:57 pm »

@driftdiver

no. Most rural folks are tied to the land.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #66 on: December 13, 2017, 02:34:28 am »

Try wandering outside the bubble...

America’s Poverty Problem Hasn’t Changed
The only thing that has is one of the ways the Census Bureau chooses to measure it.
Jessica Rinaldi / Reuters  /  GILLIAN B. WHITE  SEP 16, 2015 
https://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2015/09/americas-poverty-problem/405700/
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #67 on: December 13, 2017, 03:17:00 am »
"Out there?" Be more specific. Explain how someone needs to uproot their whole life and family to chase jobs that may not exist by the time they get "out there." They could get out there and end up in the same position they are now, rejected by all employers in the human-resources game, and now living in a place more expensive than before. Moving to where the jobs supposedly are is easier said than done.

Large metropolitan areas usually have more available jobs than isolated, low population areas or small towns. Moving out of an economically depressed area is better than subsisting on welfare or handouts. Moving to places with better economic outlooks have what Americans (and the world's population) have done since they began recording those sorts of things.
Obviously, it's tougher for middle-aged or older people. But for younger people there's nothing to be gained by staying in an economically depressed area.
I know what it's like to lose a job you've had for a long time and have to live off your savings for a few years. I've got a lot of sympathy for people who've lost their jobs after working faithfully for a company for many years and were left in the lurch. But finding another job can be done.

Offline berdie

« Reply #68 on: December 13, 2017, 03:38:15 am »
Large metropolitan areas usually have more available jobs than isolated, low population areas or small towns. Moving out of an economically depressed area is better than subsisting on welfare or handouts. Moving to places with better economic outlooks have what Americans (and the world's population) have done since they began recording those sorts of things.
Obviously, it's tougher for middle-aged or older people. But for younger people there's nothing to be gained by staying in an economically depressed area.
I know what it's like to lose a job you've had for a long time and have to live off your savings for a few years. I've got a lot of sympathy for people who've lost their jobs after working faithfully for a company for many years and were left in the lurch. But finding another job can be done.

I know that in rural west Texas if the economy hits a bump, the young people head to the cities for work. And they don't typically return.

Online Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #69 on: December 13, 2017, 07:36:42 am »
Try wandering outside the bubble...

America’s Poverty Problem Hasn’t Changed
The only thing that has is one of the ways the Census Bureau chooses to measure it.
Jessica Rinaldi / Reuters  /  GILLIAN B. WHITE  SEP 16, 2015 
https://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2015/09/americas-poverty-problem/405700/

Even that is a massaged headline for Obama. Sure there are some stories here and there, but generally the stories have to do about how wonderful everyone is doing while a Democrat is in charge.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #70 on: December 13, 2017, 07:40:27 am »

This is why I absolutely hate welfare.

It robs the individual's incentive to be productive.

FDR Agreed (at one time)

"The lessons of history, confirmed by the evidence immediately before me, show conclusively that continued dependence upon relief induces a spiritual and moral disintegration fundamentally destructive to the national fibre. To dole out relief in this way is to administer a narcotic, a subtle destroyer of the human spirit. It is inimical to the dictates of sound policy. It is in violation of the traditions of America. Work must be found for able-bodied but destitute workers."   - 1935 SOTU Address

Offline mirraflake

« Reply #71 on: December 13, 2017, 06:53:44 pm »

I told you on an old post I can get you a job in several  hours making $25-30 hour as long as, no offense you are drug free. The gas fields and related business are literally begging for employees. A friend of mine at age 50 something quit his job of 20 years(burnt out) and went to work for a company rebuilding gas pumps..starting pay $22.00 hr + full benefits and no experience needed.

Yeah it's tough to move but sometimes you have to make that decision and do it for your sake and your family.

From my house to my office I counted 11 help wanted signs one day from gas stations to stores to gas jobs.

Time to move out of that small town of yours or stop complaining there are no jobs..The side benefit in larger town you will probably meet a squeeze.

@jmyrlefuller

Offline mirraflake

« Reply #72 on: December 13, 2017, 06:55:48 pm »
no. Most rural folks are tied to the land.

The only ones tied to the land are farmers.

@roamer_1

Offline mirraflake

« Reply #73 on: December 13, 2017, 07:01:12 pm »
They could get out there and end up in the same position they are now, rejected by all employers in the human-resources game, and now living in a place more expensive than before. Moving to where the jobs supposedly are is easier said than done.

Take several weeks and drive/fly to low unemployment areas and starting pounding the pavement while living in a Holiday Inn express.. If you can't find anything go back home. What is so hard about it? or go online look for jobs in those areas and send resumes.

Plenty of places right now in the US that are booming.  Business growth right now is at 40 year highs.

@jmyrlefuller

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #74 on: December 13, 2017, 10:07:27 pm »
I told you on an old post I can get you a job in several  hours making $25-30 hour as long as, no offense you are drug free. The gas fields and related business are literally begging for employees. A friend of mine at age 50 something quit his job of 20 years(burnt out) and went to work for a company rebuilding gas pumps..starting pay $22.00 hr + full benefits and no experience needed.

Yeah it's tough to move but sometimes you have to make that decision and do it for your sake and your family.

From my house to my office I counted 11 help wanted signs one day from gas stations to stores to gas jobs.

Time to move out of that small town of yours or stop complaining there are no jobs..The side benefit in larger town you will probably meet a squeeze.

@jmyrlefuller
Yeah, gas stations and stores are always hiring because they want to pay minimum wage and make everyone work nights, weekends and holidays. I can get those jobs anywhere; the job boards are full of listings for them. I DID that job for over a decade and vowed to myself never to settle for that again. Any idiot can work at the local Dollar General, but it won't get them anywhere.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024