Author Topic: The Qur’an: A Chronological Modern English Interpretation  (Read 410 times)

rangerrebew

The Qur’an: A Chronological Modern English Interpretation
By Kellie J. McCoy
December 04, 2017

The Qur’an: A Chronological Modern English Interpretation. Jason Criss Howk. Louisville, KY: Old Stone Press, 2017.

My well-used translation of the Qur’an, purchased along with a roadmap of Iraq in 2003, has a new companion on my bookshelf. An impressive tome in intention and heft, Jason Criss Howk’s The Qur’an: A Chronological Modern English Interpretation delivers an approachable and highly readable version of this classic text. It is clear from the first sentence of the Acknowledgments that Howk has a deep and abiding respect for Islam. Having spent the better part of two decades immersed in Middle Eastern culture and language, and with extensive experience in numerous predominantly Muslim countries as a South Asia Foreign Area Officer, policy advisor, and scholar, Howk brings this experience and perspective to the Herculean task of reinterpreting the Qur’an.[1] His personal statement on the back cover makes it clear his intentions are to educate and inspire acceptance of Islam through deeper understanding. Like many religious texts, reading the Qur’an is a daunting task, but Howk has succeeded in making it accessible to a modern, English-speaking audience and has created an entry point to the central tenets of Islam for all.

https://www.realcleardefense.com/articles/2017/12/04/the_quran_a_chronological_modern_english_interpretation_112721.html
« Last Edit: December 09, 2017, 03:12:39 pm by rangerrebew »

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Re: The Qur’an: A Chronological Modern English Interpretation
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2017, 09:18:19 pm »
A lot of the quran is hard to "reinterpret" because it's very clear what it says. 

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2017, 10:12:01 pm »
A lot of the quran is hard to "reinterpret" because it's very clear what it says.

Because of "abrogation," it reinterprets itself.  There are many contradictory passages, and the "newer" one is said to overrule the "older" one.  Early passages written in Mohamed's younger life are therefore abrogated by contradicting passages in his later life.  It makes things confusing because an apologist will quote an early part about promoting peace and love, while neglecting to mention the later passages promoting war and killing of infidels.

There was a thread about Tommy Robinson's book recently.  I got a sample copy for my Kindle and might buy it:

https://smile.amazon.com/Mohammeds-Koran-Muslims-Kill-Islam-ebook/dp/B0749P7DZJ/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1512857167&sr=1-1&keywords=Mohammed%27s+Koran%3A+Why+Muslims+Kill+For+Islam
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2017, 10:28:49 pm »
I can sum it up in three words, "Kill the Infidel".