Author Topic: Baltimore City Council considers tax hikes to pay for affordable housing  (Read 442 times)

Offline corbe

Baltimore City Council considers tax hikes to pay for affordable housing
Luke Broadwater
The Baltimore Sun

In a city where many struggle to make monthly rent payments, the Baltimore City Council is considering raising taxes on property sales and transfers to provide $10 million annually for affordable housing.

City Councilman Bill Henry submitted legislation Thursday to raise the recording fee by 20 percent and transfer taxes by 17 percent, respectively, to provide a “sustainable revenue source” for the Affordable Housing Trust Fund — a new fund created by the voters that currently has no money in it.

Henry said the tax increase would result in about $10 million more each year.

If passed, the bill would raise the recording fee charged on every $500 worth of property sold from $5 to $6. That means on the sale of a $100,000 house, about $200 would go to the Affordable Housing Trust Fund.

The transfer tax charged on property transfers would rise from 1.5 percent to 1.75 percent. That means on the sale of a $100,000 house, about $250 would go to the Affordable Housing Trust Fund.

<..snip..>

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/baltimore-city/bs-md-ci-affordable-housing-20171207-story.html?utm_campaign=trueAnthem:+Trending+Contentutm_content=5a2c32b74b7385000ab1c808utm_medium=trueAnthemutm_source=twitter
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline LMAO

I’m figuring this will work just as well as Philadelphia’s
soda tax
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
How about cutting city taxes and fees that take money unnecessarily from people pockets that would allow them to afford housing?
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!