Author Topic: Remembering Pearl Harbor  (Read 768 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Remembering Pearl Harbor
« on: December 07, 2017, 02:45:48 pm »
Remembering Pearl Harbor
Navy.mil, Undated, Survivors

In the early morning hours of December 7, 1941 the mettle and determination of a generation were challenged when the Imperial Japanese Navy unleashed a sneak attack on the U.S. Navy fleet at anchor in Pearl Harbor. In the face of these attacks the Sailors of the U.S. Navy responded with honor, courage and undying commitment. Heroic actions were embodied by common men who, when suddenly faced with the challenge of battle, responded with the resolve and character that defined the Navy and nation. The personal stories and accounts listed here provide a chance to reflect upon, ponder and understand what a rich heritage Sailors today share with veteran shipmates. These accounts come from Sailors associated with six of the many commands and ships affected that fateful day. In addition, they resonate the faithfulness, valor and ethos of that day and what it means to be a Sailor in the United States Navy.

Sailors today are part of this long blue line who have provided protection and security to the nation and the world.

More: http://www.navy.mil/navydata/rph.htm#oklahoma

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
Re: Remembering Pearl Harbor
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2017, 02:46:47 pm »
 :patriot:
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline skeeter

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2017, 02:53:14 pm »
 :flag:

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2017, 02:54:21 pm »
Historical photos of Pearl Harbor attack on December 7, 1941
LA Daily News, Dec 6, 2017, Miriam Velasquez

President Franklin Roosevelt called December 7, 1941, “a date which will live in infamy.” On that day, Japanese planes attacked the United States Naval Base at Pearl Harbor. The bombing killed more than 2,400 Americans. It completely destroyed the American battleship U.S.S. Arizona and capsized the U.S.S. Oklahoma. The attack brought the United States into World War II.

The attack sank or beached a total of twelve ships and damaged nine others. 160 aircraft were destroyed and 150 others damaged. The attack took the country by surprise, especially the ill-prepared Pearl Harbor base. December 7, 2017 marks the 76th anniversary of the attack.

More:  http://www.dailynews.com/2017/12/06/historical-photos-of-pearl-harbor-attack-on-december-7-1941/

44 photos at the link ...

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2017, 02:59:05 pm »

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2017, 03:14:16 pm »
And it never should have gone down that way.  The fact that the attack was coming was known to many who could have warned them and didn't.

! No longer available
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 03:14:33 pm by Bigun »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online LMAO

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2017, 03:17:31 pm »
Ten years ago, my wife and I went on a Hawaiian cruise and I had a chance to visit Pearl Harbor

I recommend everyone visit it if you have a chance
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2017, 03:27:54 pm »
Ten years ago, my wife and I went on a Hawaiian cruise and I had a chance to visit Pearl Harbor

If you can walk around that memorial to the submariners and read the plaques you're a better man than I!  I got through about three of them before I watered up enough to prevent any further reading.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online LMAO

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2017, 03:31:18 pm »
If you can walk around that memorial to the submariners and read the plaques you're a better man than I!  I got through about three of them before I watered up enough to prevent any further reading.

When you stand over the Arizona and it hits you that there are dead sailors still in there will give you pause
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

Offline skeeter

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2017, 03:43:49 pm »

The first time I visited the Arizona memorial the visitors center consisted of a bench with a tin roof with a launch manned by navy personnel. Its changed quite alot since then.

The memorial itself is still the same profoundly moving place.

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2017, 03:48:56 pm »
When you stand over the Arizona and it hits you that there are dead sailors still in there will give you pause

Online LMAO

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2017, 03:58:28 pm »
I love history so I was excited when we went to go see it. My wife thinks I’m fascinated with war a little bit but I told her I’m not fascinated with war but fascinated with the history and that includes the wars

When the day was done and we had to head back to our ship, I had this strange feeling that when leaving, I was abandoning something.

Barry Goldwater

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2017, 04:08:27 pm »
Many Pearl Harbor survivors have chosen to have themselves returned to their ships after they have departed this life.

http://www.denverpost.com/2011/12/06/pearl-harbor-survivors-can-return-to-their-ships-after-death/

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Concerned

« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2017, 10:10:35 pm »
 "All gave some; some gave all.”  RIP all heroes.  :patriot:
I adore facts and data and abhor lies and liars.

« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2017, 11:27:18 pm »

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2017, 05:07:46 am »
I don't know if I could handle going to the memorial. Just the picture is enough to break my heart.
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2017, 05:29:52 am »

The photo of young men signing up for the MC wearing ties, suits etc. is a sharp contrast to our citizenry today.

My dad was just 15 at the time of Pearl Harbor, however quit HS and enlisted in the Marines when he reached 17.

During WWII 16 million Americans served in uniform; ten percent of our population.

WWII was the last major war we won decisively that stayed won.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln