Author Topic: GREECE RIOTS: Police fire teargas at protestors - violence breaks out on streets of Athens  (Read 472 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
GREECE RIOTS: Police fire teargas at protestors - violence breaks out on streets of Athens
Will Kirby

Fires have been seen across the city and earlier today, protestors wearing hoods smashed window displays and threw paving stones at police as they marched through the capital.

Protestors chanted "Resist!" as they marched through central Athens, waving waving red and black flags in a tribute to 15-year old Alexandros Grigoropoulos who was shot dead by police in 2008.

The worst violence was seen in the Exarchia district with protestors throwing petrol bombs at police. The bohemian Exarchia area is where the unarmed Grigoropoulos was shot dead nine years ago.

Continued at: https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/889040/greece-riot-athens-march-police-teargas-Alexandros-Grigoropoulos

Red and black flags per the article, it's sad that 9 years, a lad was killed. 15 years old but this looks like opportunism by the protesters.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
2008 ??

That's what the article says and then, I saw this is being carried in a number of news sources overseas.

Offline Victoria33

@TomSea

I have been to Athens, Old Corinth, and the islands around Greece.  So many beautiful countries I have visited and now I could not as they are not safe anymore.  I walked the streets of Old Corinth, the same streets the Apostle Paul walked. One cannot help feeling the history of that place.  The water delivery system to the city is still there -blue tile trenches where the water flowed beside the street. 

Our safe places to visit have shrunk.  So much of the world has been removed from people.  It isn't going to get better, only worse as time goes by.  I'm so sorry about that, TomSea.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
The officer who shot the kid was sentenced to life and his partner was given a 10 year sentence as an accessory - so both are in prison, presently.  They're acting like there was no justice.  These are just troublemakers.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 02:48:58 am by edpc »
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.