Author Topic: Breaking- senator Al Franken to resign tomorrow 🚨  (Read 6924 times)

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
Re: Breaking- senator Al Franken to resign tomorrow 🚨
« Reply #75 on: December 08, 2017, 04:13:17 am »
I always use HSI as I got cussed out once for gender confusion and will keep it gender neutral.

I use him or her in conversation, because he/she/it is misinterpreted by people with certain accents.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 04:14:13 am by edpc »
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline RetBobbyMI

« Reply #76 on: December 08, 2017, 06:43:44 am »
I use him or her in conversation, because he/she/it is misinterpreted by people with certain accents.
Just do like kids do now a days, use “they” for everything.
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."  -- John Wayne
"Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.� ? Euripides, The Bacchae
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.� ? Laurence J. Peter, The Peter Principle
"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.� ? Bertrand Russell, A History of Western Philosophy

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
Re: Breaking- senator Al Franken to resign tomorrow
« Reply #77 on: December 08, 2017, 02:07:41 pm »
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #78 on: December 08, 2017, 02:42:02 pm »

Kool, my powers wore off.  :smokin:

And now I look like a crazy person.  Bonus!!
 :seeya:
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
« Reply #79 on: December 08, 2017, 03:10:04 pm »
And he's still there
Countdown to Resignation

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #80 on: December 08, 2017, 06:17:01 pm »
Quite a dangerous precedent is being set here.
If mere allegation is enough to call for resignation, yes, and you can bet your bottom dollar that that axe will be used against the GOP at every opportunity, but even more to trim the Congressional Ranks of anyone who won't play nice with the Uniparty.

This will permit the consolidation of power into the hands of the Capitol Hill Mob, and the people will lose any say in what happens up there. This is the reason for the attacks on Moore, who would be the worst nightmare for McConnell and Co. on the Hill.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline RetBobbyMI

« Reply #81 on: December 08, 2017, 06:22:46 pm »
If Franken fails to resign, the Dems can’t clamor for Moore’s head. Now that the only accuser who level criminal accusations has recanted her story, any more clamoring is just that, more partisan BS.
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."  -- John Wayne
"Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.� ? Euripides, The Bacchae
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.� ? Laurence J. Peter, The Peter Principle
"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.� ? Bertrand Russell, A History of Western Philosophy

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #82 on: December 08, 2017, 07:20:20 pm »
If mere allegation is enough to call for resignation, yes, and you can bet your bottom dollar that that axe will be used against the GOP at every opportunity, but even more to trim the Congressional Ranks of anyone who won't play nice with the Uniparty.

This will permit the consolidation of power into the hands of the Capitol Hill Mob, and the people will lose any say in what happens up there. This is the reason for the attacks on Moore, who would be the worst nightmare for McConnell and Co. on the Hill.

Two points: 1) it wasn't allegations with Franken; there were photographs, and 2) he hasn't actually resigned.  Therefore back to whomever was asking about the presumption of a precedent - there isn't one.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #83 on: December 08, 2017, 10:42:13 pm »

Unsure of what you mean as a 'precedent'.

See attached Congressional Research Service Report.

It reports that between 1977 to when this report was dated in 2008, 38 Senators have had allegations against them the Senate Ethics Committee has considered.  At least one resigned due to sexual misconduct.

https://books.google.com/books?id=2ffxkryEOd4C&pg=PT1&lpg=PT1&dq=history+of+senators+resigning+for+sexual+conduct+allegations&source=bl&ots=iwlqI8hAem&sig=uNW0BGNJTF5pQjz_OOJmkPVO3KA&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjh-YzWu_vXAhWo4IMKHYycBMg4ZBDoAQgzMAI#v=onepage&q=history%20of%20senators%20resigning%20for%20sexual%20conduct%20allegations&f=false

And, BTW, Franken has NOT resigned.  No date has been set, he is just bloviating to appease.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

« Reply #84 on: December 08, 2017, 10:47:39 pm »
And why would a Giant of the Senate resign anyway?

No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #85 on: December 08, 2017, 10:49:57 pm »

:mauslaff: :mauslaff:

Offline edpc

« Reply #86 on: December 08, 2017, 10:56:49 pm »
If Franken fails to resign, the Dems can’t clamor for Moore’s head. Now that the only accuser who level criminal accusations has recanted her story, any more clamoring is just that, more partisan BS.

McConnell has all but promised an ethics investigation.  It's guaranteed to get national coverage if they do it.  Losing Franken in MN is no big deal to them with a Dem governor.  They'd be willing to live with the short term accusations of hypocrisy, if they get a shot at expelling Moore.

The tricky part is what would come after. The voters of Alabama would have already decided he was fit to serve, after hearing the same accusations the Senate did.  Throwing out a duly elected senator against the wishes of his constituents could have far-reaching effects down the road for Democrats in vulnerable seats and Republicans who cooperated.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2017, 03:39:16 pm by MOD4 »

Offline edpc

« Reply #87 on: December 08, 2017, 10:58:45 pm »

The content of the book is even better. It's basically a confession about how he is a phony. He talks about how he is not a serious legislator and is not sorry for any of the things he's said or done in the past.

« Reply #88 on: December 08, 2017, 11:44:52 pm »
McConnell has all but promised an ethics investigation.  It's guaranteed to get national coverage if they do it.  Losing Franken in MN is no big deal to them with a Dem governor.  They'd be willing to live with the short term accusations of hypocrisy, if they get a shot at expelling Moore.

The tricky part is what would come after. The voters of Alabama would have already decided he was fit to serve, after hearing the same accusations the Senate did.  Throwing out a duly elected senator against the wishes of his constituents could have far-reaching effects down the road for Democrats in vulnerable seats and Republicans who cooperated.
If you read my earlier post on the history of Senate Ethics investigations, there were 38 Senators that had ethics allegations that were investigated from 1977 to 2008 or over one per year.

Most are theatrics so I would not expect Mitch to use this as anything but a bury.

Offline edpc

« Reply #89 on: December 08, 2017, 11:48:03 pm »
If you read my earlier post on the history of Senate Ethics investigations, there were 38 Senators that had ethics allegations that were investigated from 1977 to 2008 or over one per year.

Most are theatrics so I would not expect Mitch to use this as anything but a bury.

Maybe, but according to Roy, good ol' Mitch really has it out for him.  So, one of those things has to be incorrect.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #90 on: December 09, 2017, 01:48:16 am »
A question for anyone still reading this thread, and I DARE YOU to answer:

Who would you rather have in that Minnesota Senate seat:
- Al Franken the groper
or
- Keith Ellison, the muslim... ??

Offline edpc

« Reply #91 on: December 09, 2017, 01:51:43 am »
A question for anyone still reading this thread, and I DARE YOU to answer:

Who would you rather have in that Minnesota Senate seat:
- Al Franken the groper
or
- Keith Ellison, the muslim... ??

You're assuming that's the only choice.  There's a difference between carrying a district and a statewide race.  He's not the one the governor would appoint anyway.

« Reply #92 on: December 09, 2017, 09:56:00 pm »
@IsailedawayfromFR
@Right_in_Virginia

Look, I'm not saying I agree or disagree, but dammit, she answered you.

If you're not satisfied with the answer then ask for clarification of one point or another about it, but this is clearly an answer, even to me, and everybody knows I *never* stick up for RiV.
Hey RG.

Have you figured out yet what a 'precedent' is?

Let me know when it finally comes to you.

I'll give you a clue:  it already happened. @RoosGirl
« Last Edit: December 09, 2017, 10:24:34 pm by IsailedawayfromFR »

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #93 on: December 10, 2017, 12:48:47 am »
Hey RG.

Have you figured out yet what a 'precedent' is?

Let me know when it finally comes to you.

I'll give you a clue:  it already happened. @RoosGirl

@IsailedawayfromFR No, but it's not really something I'm interested in pursuing.  Whether it's a precedent or not doesn't matter much to me.  But, I actually agree with @Right_in_Virginia and many others here that think that destroying a man's career and reputation based on a he said/she said is dangerous.

« Reply #94 on: December 10, 2017, 01:05:07 am »
@IsailedawayfromFR No, but it's not really something I'm interested in pursuing.  Whether it's a precedent or not doesn't matter much to me.  But, I actually agree with @Right_in_Virginia and many others here that think that destroying a man's career and reputation based on a he said/she said is dangerous.
Just to be clear:  You do not care that a 'precedent' has NOT been set. The record is clear that it is NOT a precedent as it is a LIE.

You appear to be one who likes people as on facebook. I Never do that.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2017, 01:10:44 am by IsailedawayfromFR »

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #95 on: December 10, 2017, 01:12:43 am »
Just to be clear:  You do not care that a 'precedent' has NOT been set. The record is clear that it is NOT a precedent as it is a LIE.

I think I was clear before.  I don't care one way or the other about a precedent.

You appear to be one who likes people as on facebook. I Never do that.

I have no idea what this means.

« Reply #96 on: December 10, 2017, 01:25:32 am »
I think I was clear before.  I don't care one way or the other about a precedent.
So why would anybody sane come about on a precedent that is not a precedent?

Are you alcoholic or something?

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #97 on: December 10, 2017, 01:27:08 am »
So why would anybody sane come about on a precedent that is not a precedent?

Are you alcoholic or something?

Yes, I'm an alcoholic.  You probably want to stop pestering me now.

Offline Fantom

« Reply #98 on: December 10, 2017, 01:30:45 am »
And now I look like a crazy person.  Bonus!!
 :seeya:

Now now.. you are just a bit off.  :laugh:
Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet deprecate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground, they want rain without thunder and lightning, they want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters.

Frederick Douglass

« Reply #99 on: December 10, 2017, 01:31:43 am »
Yes, I'm an alcoholic.  You probably want to stop pestering me now.
At least we are rendering an honest opinion.
And BTW, that does not absolve the illiterate response.