Author Topic: Time Person of the Year 2017: The Silence Breakers  (Read 1170 times)

Offline Frank Cannon

Time Person of the Year 2017: The Silence Breakers
« on: December 06, 2017, 01:25:06 pm »
http://time.com/time-person-of-the-year-2017-silence-breakers/

Movie stars are supposedly nothing like you and me. They're svelte, glamorous, self-­possessed. They wear dresses we can't afford and live in houses we can only dream of. Yet it turns out that—in the most painful and personal ways—movie stars are more like you and me than we ever knew.

In 1997, just before Ashley Judd's career took off, she was invited to a meeting with Harvey Weinstein, head of the starmaking studio Miramax, at a Beverly Hills hotel. Astounded and offended by Weinstein's attempt to coerce her into bed, Judd managed to escape. But instead of keeping quiet about the kind of encounter that could easily shame a woman into silence, she began spreading the word.

"I started talking about Harvey the minute that it happened," Judd says in an interview with TIME. "Literally, I exited that hotel room at the Peninsula Hotel in 1997 and came straight downstairs to the lobby, where my dad was waiting for me, because he happened to be in Los Angeles from Kentucky, visiting me on the set. And he could tell by my face—to use his words—that something devastating had happened to me. I told him. I told everyone."

Offline Frank Cannon

Re: Time Person of the Year 2017: The Silence Breakers
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2017, 01:35:29 pm »
Another worthless cop out from this Lib rag. First off how awkward is "Silence Breakers"? It doesn't even make sense. Secondly outside of LA or NYC, how the hell does this story effect any real person in the real world? Lastly, wasn't it these Leftist low circulation mags like Time who sat on this story for decades allowing these people to do whatever they wanted?

This is about as thought provoking as when they put a mirror on the front cover......not at all.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2017, 01:36:45 pm »
Movie stars are supposedly nothing like you and me. They're svelte, glamorous, self-­possessed.

They obviously don't know me at all.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2017, 01:42:16 pm »

They obviously don't know me at all.

I had you pegged as more of a Louie Anderson type.

Offline edpc

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2017, 01:57:48 pm »
I had you pegged as more of a Louie Anderson type.

Nope. 

Definitely more Michael J Anderson.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2017, 02:02:12 pm »
Nope. 

Definitely more Michael J Anderson.

LOL. I had to look that one up.

Offline Concerned

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2017, 02:06:12 pm »
Seems like a pretty logical decision to me based on the pervasive impact that women suddenly coming forward has had to politics, media, industry, entertainment, etc.
I adore facts and data and abhor lies and liars.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2017, 02:12:52 pm »
Seems like a pretty logical decision to me based on the pervasive impact that women suddenly coming forward has had to politics, media, industry, entertainment, etc.

Really? Hollywood, the MSM and DC fired a handful of people and shuffled the deck chairs with other people that maybe 20% of the US population and 1% of the world population even know about. This is an inside the MSM/Beltway/Hollyweird story. It effects no one outside in the real world.

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2017, 02:18:59 pm »
The whole #MeToo thing isn't aging well. There are too many Democrats and liberals getting caught in the web. I'm guessing Time was hoping to take control of the narrative and point the blame on Republicans. It's hard to cover the story while covering up the inconvenient optics.
Every time they point to Roy Moore, 10 fingers point back at the Democrats. After the election, they'll have to put this genie back in the bottle.
You can't say "This is a big deal" while Al Franken is saying "It is not".
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 02:20:20 pm by Restored »
Countdown to Resignation

Offline Concerned

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2017, 02:28:21 pm »
Really? Hollywood, the MSM and DC fired a handful of people and shuffled the deck chairs with other people that maybe 20% of the US population and 1% of the world population even know about. This is an inside the MSM/Beltway/Hollyweird story. It effects no one outside in the real world.

Yes, really.  Over the past couple of months, men have variously admitted it, been fired, and been forced to retire over sexual harassment/sexual assault.  This story has impacted by whom we get our news, our entertainment, and how and by whom we’re governed.  Seems pretty pervasive to me.  Look recently at how much discussion and how many threads there have been here at TBR related to sexual harassment/sexual assault.  Finally, I suspect it's been a wake-up in Boardrooms and HR Departments around the country to review and potentially tighten up their policies and procedures on how employees report and how companies deal with these type of allegations.  JMO.

Offline edpc

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2017, 02:32:39 pm »
I'm guessing Time was hoping to take control of the narrative and point the blame on Republicans.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2017, 02:42:24 pm »
Yes, really.  Over the past couple of months, men have variously admitted it, been fired, and been forced to retire over sexual harassment/sexual assault.  This story has impacted by whom we get our news, our entertainment, and how and by whom we’re governed.  Seems pretty pervasive to me.  Look recently at how much discussion and how many threads there have been here at TBR related to sexual harassment/sexual assault.  Finally, I suspect it's been a wake-up in Boardrooms and HR Departments around the country to review and potentially tighten up their policies and procedures on how employees report and how companies deal with these type of allegations.  JMO.

Oh yeah? All of the people being jettisoned were liabilities and expendable. There are no real people getting canned. Weinstien's company was circling the drain prior to the scandal and his Rabbi Hitlary got the rug pulled out from under her. Mark Halprin is a nobody. Kevin Spacey was on a show no one outside of DC watched. The Today Show ratings went up after Lauer got fired. Charlie Rose? Who cares. I don't see how any of this effects the day to day life of Americans. This shit isn't happening at the local felt factory. This shit isn't happening at the local grocery store. No one out in fly over country is talking about this. Trying to say that because something is discussed indefinitely here at TBR is meaningful to the broader population absurd. Walk around and ask people outside of AL who the hell Roy Moore is and you will get blank stares. Anyone I chat with across the spectrum discusses either N Korea or the tax bill.

Offline Concerned

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2017, 02:52:53 pm »
Oh yeah? All of the people being jettisoned were liabilities and expendable. There are no real people getting canned. Weinstien's company was circling the drain prior to the scandal and his Rabbi Hitlary got the rug pulled out from under her. Mark Halprin is a nobody. Kevin Spacey was on a show no one outside of DC watched. The Today Show ratings went up after Lauer got fired. Charlie Rose? Who cares. I don't see how any of this effects the day to day life of Americans. This shit isn't happening at the local felt factory. This shit isn't happening at the local grocery store. No one out in fly over country is talking about this. Trying to say that because something is discussed indefinitely here at TBR is meaningful to the broader population absurd. Walk around and ask people outside of AL who the hell Roy Moore is and you will get blank stares. Anyone I chat with across the spectrum discusses either N Korea or the tax bill.

We're in complete agreement that people "jettisoned" over sexual harassment/sexual assault are indeed liabilities and expendable.  If you don't believe this has suddenly become a major topic of conversations in Boardrooms and HR departments, you're just wrong.   If you don’t find the choice of Person of the Year a logical decision, you’re entitled to your opinion just as I am.  Have a good day, Frank!

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2017, 03:46:50 pm »
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Applewood

« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2017, 03:58:22 pm »
What bothers me about this whole Me Too thing is, that for every possibly legitimate claim of inappropriate behavior, there are probably hundreds, maybe thousands, which aren't.  Seems to me that now any woman with an ax to grind can go before the cameras, cry a few crocodile tears, claim that some prominent individual looked at her funny, then have that prominent person fall into ruin.  The accused is convicted without trial in the court of public opinion with no evidence other than some woman's claim.    And those with legitimate claims of sexual harassment or rape are no longer believed.  We have come a long way from the days when a woman crying "rape" was considered loose and probably "asked for it."  Now I think a lot of women who are violated will go back to suffering in silence because all these broads making false claims will lead real victims to believe that no one will take them seriously.