Author Topic: Argument analysis: Conservative majority leaning toward ruling for Colorado baker  (Read 1399 times)

Offline SirLinksALot

Anyone who thinks they can divine how Kennedy will vote is a fool.

Here are some excerpts from Statements that Kennedy made during Oral Arguments:

“Counselor, tolerance is essential in a free society. And tolerance is most meaningful when it’s mutual. It seems to me that the state in its position here has been neither tolerant nor respectful of Mr. Phillips’ religious beliefs.”

“And — because accommodation is, quite possible, we assume there were other shops that — other good bakery shops that were available.”

“Part of that speech is that state law, in this case, supersedes our religious beliefs, and he has to teach that to his family. He has to speak about that to his family.”

“Well, but this whole concept of identity is a slightly — suppose he says: Look, I have nothing against — against gay people. He says but I just don’t think they should have a marriage because that’s contrary to my beliefs. It’s not -­ It’s not their identity; it’s what they’re doing.”

For someone who actually DECIDED FOR the legalization of gay marriage, Kennedy sounds quite coherent here.
Whether it translates to the right decision is another thing.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Here's what the absence of freedom gets you:
France: Halal Shop Forced to Close for Refusing to Sell Pork and Alcohol
http://www.breitbart.com/london/2017/12/05/french-halal-shop-faces-closure-not-selling-pork-alcohol/
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline mountaineer

Why The Cake-Baking Cases Are Really About Courts Deciding What Americans Can Believe
Most justices first frame the issue by using judicial discretion of one kind or another to remove from consideration the nature of the product requested for a same-sex wedding.
Jeremiah Keenan
Dec. 5, 2017
...  Thus, each case begins with a law which, when spelled out explicitly, forbids refusing service to someone on account of his or her “propensity” to experience same-sex attraction (SSA). The next step, of course, is to ask whether the Christian business refused service to a homosexual on account of his propensity to experience SSA or on account of the nature of the product the homosexual wanted the Christian to design.

So, in Phillip’s case, for example, the key question is whether Phillips refused service to Craig and Mullins because he did not want to make a cake with a pair of amorous male figurines on top (or some other “objectionable” symbol), or because he did not want to do business with the pair of men in his shop.

While the court is always forced to grapple with this question in some form, most justices first frame the issue by using judicial discretion of one kind or another to remove from consideration the nature of the product requested for a same-sex wedding. In Phillips’ case, Judge Taubman refused to consider whether the same-sex wedding cake Craig and Mullins wanted might have required Phillips to design symbols (like those male figurines) with which he disagreed. Taubman justified this by pointing to the fact that Phillips turned the homosexual couple down before either of them “conveyed any details of their desired cake to Masterpiece.”

This argument, of course, relies on the assumption that Phillips could not have reasonably anticipated that taking an order for a custom same-sex wedding cake would likely require him to design symbols or express messages with which he strongly disagreed.   ...
Full article at The Federalist
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...

Why is there not a legal right to be a "bigot"?    Since when did we get an official morality imposed upon us by the Fedgov that tells us who we must serve?   

"Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as a punishment for crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction."

'Bigot' in the leftist sense of the word. He doesn't have an active, hateful, broad brushed prejudice against gays. They are trying to base their claim on that, but it doesn't hold water.
The Republic is lost.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.

No brainer.   Lower courts should be found in contempt for not issuing a summary judgment for the Defendant the minute such a stupid case was filed. 

The people who filed this case need to be fined for contempt.

At the time of the incident, Colorado did not recognize same-sex 'weddings'. The plaintiffs were 'united' out of State. If the State did not recognize the "marriage" why should the baker be held to a different standard?

That does not even address the issues of compelling someone to create something 'celebrating' something they have a deep religious objection to.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Call me a bigot whenever I frequent Walmart rather than Target, or buying a house in the neighborhood I now live in rather that somewhere else.

We are all bigots and discriminate.

That is another word for freedom.

I will continue to discriminate against any one or anything I choose for any reason I choose! Why?  Because it is the only method I have for surviving on this planet!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
I will continue to discriminate against any one or anything I choose for any reason I choose! Why?  Because it is the only method I have for surviving on this planet!

Remember when the term "discriminating taste" was a good thing to be described as having?
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline RetBobbyMI

“The Civil Rights Act of 1964 explicitly prohibits restaurants from refusing service to patrons on the basis of race, color, religion, or national origin. In addition, most courts don't allow restaurants to refuse service to patrons based on extremely arbitrary conditions.” But nothing says an owner has to violate his or her own principles and faith.
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."  -- John Wayne
"Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.� ? Euripides, The Bacchae
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.� ? Laurence J. Peter, The Peter Principle
"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.� ? Bertrand Russell, A History of Western Philosophy

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
“The Civil Rights Act of 1964 explicitly prohibits restaurants from refusing service to patrons on the basis of race, color, religion, or national origin. In addition, most courts don't allow restaurants to refuse service to patrons based on extremely arbitrary conditions.” But nothing says an owner has to violate his or her own principles and faith.

Yep and nothing says we can't get a little creative either as long as we don't run our mouths about it!
!

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
The free speech argument is stronger, but I still say the fatal flaw is Phillips' refusal to even listen to what his customers were looking for with respect to the design and message on the cake.

You keep repeating this bullshit lie of yours over and over on one thread after another.  The fact Philips REFUSED to create a cake for a same-sex wedding is proof of the fact he listened to what the customers said they wanted.

He refused to sell a same-sex wedding cake to one of the homo's heterosexual mother.  He was not against who was buying; he was against what they wanted him to make.

A fact you discard and ignore because it doesn't fit the Leftist/Hedonist narrative you push here.

Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
Remember when the term "discriminating taste" was a good thing to be described as having?

Yep!  Discrimination is still a very good thing!  Essential in fact!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline RetBobbyMI

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."  -- John Wayne
"Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.� ? Euripides, The Bacchae
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.� ? Laurence J. Peter, The Peter Principle
"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.� ? Bertrand Russell, A History of Western Philosophy

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
YES!  (another word they ruined)
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis