Author Topic: John Conyers will retire, let a relative run for his seat: Report  (Read 3436 times)

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
Re: John Conyers will retire, let a relative run for his seat: Report
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2017, 04:39:14 pm »
I called it first.

The Dingell seat has been in Dingell hands since the 1930s and now the Conyers dynasty continues in  the same fashion.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2017, 04:42:43 pm »
So to synopsize this thread, a democrat from Detroit "serves" his district for 50 years and abuses his power for the entire time, pays off his victims with OUR money, and when he finally gets caught, rides off into the sunset with his very nice pension fully intact and gets to pass the seat on to his relative!

WOW!  Is this a GREAT country or what!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2017, 04:47:40 pm »
Let's not forget that John Conyers failed to qualify for the ballot last time but they gave it to him anyway.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2017, 04:49:18 pm »
Hate to tell the guy, but he's a couple of decades too late to join DeBarge.

Shalamar is still an option....
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 04:50:41 pm by edpc »
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Cripplecreek

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2017, 05:26:45 pm »
Tell me this guy does not look like a Mafia hit-man

At 29 years old, guess another Conyers will occupy the seat for another 50 years

"This guy called me a 'Mafia hit-man once.......ONCE!"

Offline RetBobbyMI

« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2017, 05:33:06 pm »
But those are ideal circumstances to establish renaissance zones and have develop grants and all sorts of money flying around (to tap). Perfect for a Democrat to funnel money into.
Perfect for a Democrat to funnel money into some politicians pocket.
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."  -- John Wayne
"Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.� ? Euripides, The Bacchae
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.� ? Laurence J. Peter, The Peter Principle
"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.� ? Bertrand Russell, A History of Western Philosophy

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2017, 05:36:25 pm »
Perfect for a Democrat to funnel money into some politicians pocket.

DING! DING! DING!  We have a winner here ladies and gentlemen!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline RetBobbyMI

« Reply #33 on: December 06, 2017, 05:36:49 pm »
Let's not forget that John Conyers failed to qualify for the ballot last time but they gave it to him anyway.
After he got a liberal Fed Judge to get his name back on the ballot, he got 77% of the vote, his lowest total in the 50 years.
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.� ? Laurence J. Peter, The Peter Principle
"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.� ? Bertrand Russell, A History of Western Philosophy

Offline RetBobbyMI

« Reply #34 on: December 06, 2017, 05:39:40 pm »
The only positive about his resignation is that his seat remains empty and offices are taken over by the Clerk of the House. Time for the Clerk to clean house at least until after the election.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #35 on: December 06, 2017, 06:33:32 pm »
The only positive about his resignation is that his seat remains empty and offices are taken over by the Clerk of the House. Time for the Clerk to clean house at least until after the election.

I don't think he's planning on leaving it vacant.  I think he intends to serve out the term.  (I may have missed something in the stories that are swirling.)
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline RetBobbyMI

« Reply #36 on: December 06, 2017, 06:53:32 pm »
I don't think he's planning on leaving it vacant.  I think he intends to serve out the term.  (I may have missed something in the stories that are swirling.)
He officially retired on Dec 5, 2017. His term runs until Jan 3, 2019, so the Governor will call a special election at some point, probably in
May 2018 to serve out his term. More at link below.

https://amp.usatoday.com/amp/923752001

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #37 on: December 06, 2017, 07:04:44 pm »
He officially retired on Dec 5, 2017. His term runs until Jan 3, 2019, so the Governor will call a special election at some point, probably in

I stand corrected, thanks.  I really didn't know, I wasn't following this as closely as I would have were I still living in MI.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #38 on: December 06, 2017, 07:19:58 pm »

While I do not know the specifics on Michigan, a Governor will typically appoint an interim person to represent that district until such time as the special election occurs.  Keeps the seat from becoming vacant and the voters not having representation.  Since the Governor is Republican, if Michigan allows it, this will be a pickup for the GOP in the interim

https://www.thoughtco.com/how-vacancies-in-congress-are-filled-3322322
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #39 on: December 06, 2017, 07:25:00 pm »
While I do not know the specifics on Michigan, a Governor will typically appoint an interim person to represent that district until such time as the special election occurs.  Keeps the seat from becoming vacant and the voters not having representation.  Since the Governor is Republican, if Michigan allows it, this will be a pickup for the GOP in the interim

https://www.thoughtco.com/how-vacancies-in-congress-are-filled-3322322

The article you linked points to the clause in the Constitution that specifies the seat must be filled by a Special Election, until then the physical office and staff remains, under the direction of the Clerk of the House.
I will NOT comply.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #40 on: December 06, 2017, 07:49:21 pm »
The article you linked points to the clause in the Constitution that specifies the seat must be filled by a Special Election, until then the physical office and staff remains, under the direction of the Clerk of the House.
Righto.  was looking at the senate.  So he screws his constituents once again by them having no voice until that election.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 07:49:58 pm by IsailedawayfromFR »
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #41 on: December 06, 2017, 07:58:37 pm »
Righto.  was looking at the senate.  So he screws his constituents once again by them having no voice until that election.

Like they care.  They only care about Constituent Services, and that will be chugging right along under the Clerk of the House's leadership.  I don't know who that is, but he/she was handpicked by Ryan. :shrug:
I will NOT comply.

Offline RetBobbyMI

« Reply #42 on: December 06, 2017, 09:33:43 pm »
The next regular election cycle in Michigan is not until May which is usually just local and school stuff. It is also the lowest turnout of all. If the Governor schedules it for then th3 question is would that just be the primary? If so the the General would not likely occur until August if they stay with normal schedules. At that point the elected rep would be up for election 3 months later, but the primary is normally in August. What a mess.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #43 on: December 06, 2017, 09:50:21 pm »
The next regular election cycle in Michigan is not until May which is usually just local and school stuff. It is also the lowest turnout of all. If the Governor schedules it for then th3 question is would that just be the primary? If so the the General would not likely occur until August if they stay with normal schedules. At that point the elected rep would be up for election 3 months later, but the primary is normally in August. What a mess.

The smart thing to do would be to schedule the General in May, and the Primary 30-60 days before.  Seems like that would be least disruptive.  Having a General in August would be practically on top of the regular Primaries, right?  (I defer to your local knowledge).  There has to be a Primary, one way or another.
I will NOT comply.

Offline RetBobbyMI

« Reply #44 on: December 06, 2017, 09:55:26 pm »
The smart thing to do would be to schedule the General in May, and the Primary 30-60 days before.  Seems like that would be least disruptive.  Having a General in August would be practically on top of the regular Primaries, right?  (I defer to your local knowledge).  There has to be a Primary, one way or another.
Exactly. A primary say in March and a general in May would seem to be appropriate, but in either case would have extremely low voter turnout and would be extremely expensive considering the multiple jurisdictions in that district.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #45 on: December 06, 2017, 09:58:22 pm »
Sounds about right.  Depends on how torn up and Gerrymandered the district is.  Gerry'ed or not, the map of Detroit is a mess, probably a dozen jurisdictions in the district.  It's like LA.
I will NOT comply.

Offline RetBobbyMI

« Reply #46 on: December 06, 2017, 10:05:30 pm »
Sounds about right.  Depends on how torn up and Gerrymandered the district is.  Gerry'ed or not, the map of Detroit is a mess, probably a dozen jurisdictions in the district.  It's like LA.
https://conyers.house.gov/our-district
About the only thing in common, it’s all in Wayne county.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 10:06:26 pm by RetBobbyMI »

Offline corbe

« Reply #47 on: December 06, 2017, 10:12:17 pm »
   Didn't see this posted, Keep it Clean Briefers, overt racism is not tolerated here. /JS

Black lawmakers resentful after Conyers resignation

Members of the Congressional Black Caucus see white politicians being treated differently after facing sexual misconduct allegations.

By JOHN BRESNAHAN
  | 12/05/2017 06:23 PM EST
  |  Updated 12/05/2017 11:22 PM EST

The stunning fall of Democratic Rep. John Conyers — who resigned Tuesday amid a growing sexual-harassment scandal — has left confusion, anger, resentment and bewilderment inside the ranks of the Congressional Black Caucus, a group that Conyers helped found nearly four decades ago.

Many CBC members see a double standard at play. They won't say the treatment of Conyers is racist, necessarily — and all express strong support for his alleged victims — but they think white politicians accused of similar misconduct like Blake Farenthold, Al Franken, Roy Moore and Donald Trump get a "benefit of the doubt" that black politicians don't enjoy.

Some members believe House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) and other party leaders moved too quickly in calling on Conyers to resign and should have let the process play out more, although they understand the pressure she was facing. And still another faction thinks Conyers' declining health and mental acuity after more than 52 years in Congress led to the debacle, despite evidence that Conyers allegedly had been harassing female staffers for years.

<..snip..>

https://www.politico.com/story/2017/12/05/conyers-resign-congressional-black-caucus-281044
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #48 on: December 06, 2017, 10:32:17 pm »
   Didn't see this posted, Keep it Clean Briefers, overt racism is not tolerated here. /JS

Black lawmakers resentful after Conyers resignation

Members of the Congressional Black Caucus see white politicians being treated differently after facing sexual misconduct allegations.

By JOHN BRESNAHAN
  | 12/05/2017 06:23 PM EST
  |  Updated 12/05/2017 11:22 PM EST

The stunning fall of Democratic Rep. John Conyers — who resigned Tuesday amid a growing sexual-harassment scandal — has left confusion, anger, resentment and bewilderment inside the ranks of the Congressional Black Caucus, a group that Conyers helped found nearly four decades ago.

Many CBC members see a double standard at play. They won't say the treatment of Conyers is racist, necessarily — and all express strong support for his alleged victims — but they think white politicians accused of similar misconduct like Blake Farenthold, Al Franken, Roy Moore and Donald Trump get a "benefit of the doubt" that black politicians don't enjoy.

Some members believe House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) and other party leaders moved too quickly in calling on Conyers to resign and should have let the process play out more, although they understand the pressure she was facing. And still another faction thinks Conyers' declining health and mental acuity after more than 52 years in Congress led to the debacle, despite evidence that Conyers allegedly had been harassing female staffers for years.

<..snip..>

https://www.politico.com/story/2017/12/05/conyers-resign-congressional-black-caucus-281044

Hey CBC:  Deal with it in your OWN PARTY.   Leave Republicans out of it.  You refused to let any black GOP in your little club, so you proved it's really the Congressional Black Democratic Caucus.  Own it.
I will NOT comply.

Offline RetBobbyMI

« Reply #49 on: December 06, 2017, 11:18:04 pm »
Hey CBC:  Deal with it in your OWN PARTY.   Leave Republicans out of it.  You refused to let any black GOP in your little club, so you proved it's really the Congressional Black Democratic Caucus.  Own it.
Isn’t the “Congressional Black Caucus” by name a racist organization? They certainly don’t allow other races to be members, nor do you see a Congressional White Caucus. Imagine their outrage if there was.