Author Topic: Oroville Dam Spillway Cracking After $500 Million Repair  (Read 701 times)

Online corbe

Oroville Dam Spillway Cracking After $500 Million Repair
« on: December 01, 2017, 03:48:25 pm »

Oroville Dam Spillway Cracking After $500 Million Repair

by Chriss W. Street29 Nov 2017Newport Beach, CA1,042

The California Department of Water Resources acknowledged this week that many cracks have appeared in the new concrete of the Oroville Dam spillway, which cost over $500 million to repair.

The State of California is believed to have spent $100 million each month on Oroville Dam during February, March and April in a crisis effort to try to stabilize America’s tallest dam, which suffered a near collapse and forced the evacuation of 200,000 downstream residents earlier this year.

The Kiewit Corporation, which was issued a $275 million contract in April to repair both of Oroville Dam’s main and emergency spillways, poured a 1,700-foot cement top sheet and then roller-compacted and smoothed the spillway’s surfaces shortly before the November 1 contract deadline. The California Department of Water Resources (DWR) inspected the work and certified the first phase of the massive repair job was completed on time.

<..snip..>

http://www.breitbart.com/california/2017/11/29/oroville-dam-spillway-cracking-after-500-million-repair/
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Frank Cannon

Re: Oroville Dam Spillway Cracking After $500 Million Repair
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2017, 03:54:32 pm »
LOL. Nice work Cali.

Offline Variant

• Down with populism...
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2017, 04:57:25 pm »
Well, concrete *always* cracks.   Good of them to do due diligence of course, but I'm guessing these hairline cracks are not a concern.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2017, 05:05:19 pm »
Well, concrete *always* cracks.   Good of them to do due diligence of course, but I'm guessing these hairline cracks are not a concern.

Yup, its right there in the story.

The California Division of Dams wrote a letter to FERC on November 7 to reassure regulators that “the presence of hairline cracks was anticipated and is not expected to affect the integrity of the slabs.” DWR spokeswoman Erin Mellon added, “All concrete has this result in the placement. It’s just physics of how concrete works.”[.quote]

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2017, 05:48:07 pm »
And here's the news from Sacramento just a month ago

I'd say that Grant Davis, director of the Department of Water Resources, should be immediately fired for incompetence

Oroville Dam ready to withstand winter rains as first phase of repairs is finished, officials say
http://www.sacbee.com/news/state/california/water-and-drought/article182123271.html
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2017, 05:50:40 pm »
Anybody know whether the feds approved this?  If they spent this type of money for a California-only botched job, then who is accountable?

Calif. requests federal gov't to help foot 75 percent of repair bill for damaged dam
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/oroville-dam-repairs-federal-funds/
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2017, 04:56:57 am »
LOL. Nice work Cali.
You know we had a situation in 1994 after a major quake that turned out different, Quake-Damaged Freeway Reopening Ahead of Time, the reason.............................Republican leadership!

On Tuesday morning, Vice President Gore will join Gov. Pete Wilson; Mayor Richard J. Riordan; the Federal Secretary of Transportation, Federico Pena; Rodney Slater, the Administrator of the Federal Highway Administration, and other officials for the reopening. "Every politician west of the Pecos and a few east of it will be in attendance," said Sean Walsh, a spokesman for Mr. Wilson.

All we have in California in the way of leadership for the most part now is mediocre madam moonbeam  and la raza-istas, and that's why the state is going to hell!

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2017, 05:19:38 am »
You know we had a situation in 1994 after a major quake that turned out different, Quake-Damaged Freeway Reopening Ahead of Time, the reason.............................Republican leadership!

On Tuesday morning, Vice President Gore will join Gov. Pete Wilson; Mayor Richard J. Riordan; the Federal Secretary of Transportation, Federico Pena; Rodney Slater, the Administrator of the Federal Highway Administration, and other officials for the reopening. "Every politician west of the Pecos and a few east of it will be in attendance," said Sean Walsh, a spokesman for Mr. Wilson.

All we have in California in the way of leadership for the most part now is mediocre madam moonbeam  and la raza-istas, and that's why the state is going to hell!

I remember well the days when I wanted to move to Cali. Seems like a fuzzy dream now.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2017, 03:51:45 pm »
We call for control joints in concrete drives which usually results in the cracks that show up in concrete to be down in the control joint, but that's obviously in the horizontal.  I wonder if they do the same thing on dams.

Offline the_doc

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2017, 10:44:52 pm »
@RoosGirl

Yep.  (Well, not always, but it is pretty common, I think.  Vertical pours are especially dicey in my personal experience.)

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2017, 02:55:38 am »
I remember well the days when I wanted to move to Cali. Seems like a fuzzy dream now.
A fuzzy dream for you, but it's become a nightmare for us who couldn't flee.