Author Topic: The Untold Lives of British Convicts Sold to America  (Read 525 times)

rangerrebew

The Untold Lives of British Convicts Sold to America
« on: December 04, 2017, 12:32:46 pm »

The Untold Lives of British Convicts Sold to America

Many know that Australia was once a colony of convicts hailing from Britain. But have you heard about America’s very own convict past?

Settlers at Jamestown

When we think about some of America’s first settlers, the Mayflower landing in 1620 often comes to mind. But the colonization of North American began before the Pilgrims, with the founding of Jamestown in 1607.

According to Robert Railton, Australia-based scholar and Ancestry member, the success of the colony depended on “the labor of British convicts, vagabonds and waifs swept from the streets of British cities.”

https://blogs.ancestry.com/cm/the-untold-lives-of-british-convicts-sold-to-america/?o_xid=84228&o_lid=84228&o_sch=Content+Marketing

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Re: The Untold Lives of British Convicts Sold to America
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2017, 12:39:03 pm »
"“the labor of British convicts, vagabonds and waifs swept from the streets of British cities.”  Is that another way to say "slave"?

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
Re: The Untold Lives of British Convicts Sold to America
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2017, 01:58:40 pm »
I can't remember if me family were vagabonds or waifs but I think it was waifs because we didn't have the money to be vagabonds.
Countdown to Resignation