Author Topic: Republicans secured Jeff Flake’s vote on the tax bill with a vague agreement to work on DACA  (Read 307 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Republicans secured Jeff Flake’s vote on the tax bill with a vague agreement to work on DACA
Ella Nilsen

Until early Friday afternoon, Sen. Jeff Flake (R-AZ), was one of two key holdouts on the Republican tax plan, due to his concerns that steep corporate and individual tax cuts in the bill would add $1 trillion to the national debt.

But shortly after noon, Flake assured Senate leadership he would vote “yes” on taxes after leadership offered him two concessions. One was an agreement to phase out business expensing, a measure allowing businesses to write off the cost of new equipment, which Flake called an “$85 billion budget gimmick.”

The other was an agreement from the White House and Senate leaders to negotiate on the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program, an Obama-era program shielding about 800,000 young unauthorized immigrants brought to the United States as children from deportation.

Continued at: https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2017/12/1/16725248/jeff-flake-tax-bill-daca

One pundit commented on this, I hope there is not some great caving in on DACA. I'm not sure of Vox's leanings, just posting the story that backed up what I heard.

Oceander

And it just keeps getting uglier.

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
I'm not sure of Vox's leanings, just posting the story that backed up what I heard.

They are left of Daily Kos
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
They are left of Daily Kos

Hell, they're left of DU, but without the good taste.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed: