Author Topic: Colin Kaepernick Is Recipient of 2017 Sports Illustrated Muhammad Ali Legacy Award  (Read 497 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Colin Kaepernick Is Recipient of 2017 Sports Illustrated Muhammad Ali Legacy Award
Sports Illustrated, Nov 30, 2017, Michael Rosenberg

“If I was walking down the highway with a quarter in my pocket and a briefcase full of truth, I’d be so happy.” – Muhammad Ali, Sports Illustrated, Feb. 19, 1968

Colin Kaepernick made his truth known when he first decided not to stand for the national anthem. He had a lot of football left to play and a lot more money to make when he made his decision. It was late August, 2016. People who were anonymous in life had become famous in death. Philando Castile. Eric Garner​. Alton Sterling. Freddie Gray. They were tragic symbols of a society that had taken a terribly wrong turn. As the anthem played ahead of the 49ers' preseason game against the Texans, Kaepernick, San Francisco's 28-year-old quarterback at the time, quietly took a seat on the bench.

It took two weeks for anyone from the media to ask him about it. Kaepernick explained that he was making a statement about inequality and social justice, about the ways this country “oppresses black people and people of color.”

Read more: https://www.si.com/sportsperson/2017/11/30/colin-kaepernick-muhammad-ali-legacy-award