Author Topic: Corker to vote no on GOP tax bill  (Read 3247 times)

Offline Fantom

Re: Corker to vote no on GOP tax bill
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2017, 03:05:20 am »
Nice to see at least one GOP Congressmember still remembers that the GOP used to be against increasing the federal deficit.  Too bad most republicans have repudiated even that simple premise.

Wow, thrice before the cockcrows.

Imagine, a Conservative betraying lower taxing and greater growth.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2017, 03:05:38 am by Fantom »
Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet deprecate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground, they want rain without thunder and lightning, they want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters.

Frederick Douglass

Oceander

« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2017, 03:12:10 am »
Wow, thrice before the cockcrows.

Huh?

Imagine a "conservative" who bitched for the last 8 years about Obama raising the deficit and national debt thinking that it's now perfectly fine to do so since it's "tax reform".  Clearly, if the democrats had simply called everything "tax reform" the so-called conservatives would have lapped it up and supported things like Obamacare tax reform fully.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2017, 03:19:01 am »

No, the point is SPENDING!!!!

Imagine conservatives not insisting upon balanced budgets, not reigning in printing presses churning out worthless dollars, and not demanding huge cuts in spending.

Tax cuts are simply rearranging deck chairs.

Offline Fantom

« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2017, 03:31:06 am »
Huh?

Imagine a "conservative" who bitched for the last 8 years about Obama raising the deficit and national debt thinking that it's now perfectly fine to do so since it's "tax reform".  Clearly, if the democrats had simply called everything "tax reform" the so-called conservatives would have lapped it up and supported things like Obamacare tax reform fully.

Good to finally engage you @Oceander.

Last first as is my wont.

Conflating obamacare with tax reform is simply bloviating nonsense. If you do not mind me saying so. Can we agree to set that nonsense aside? If so , we can reason together.

As one Conservative to another, when have not real tax cuts increased GDP growth... and increased tax revenues? Kennedy/Reagan.... I can bring the charts, but I am sure that will not be necessary.

Using "static" CBO "scoring" is not realistic.  Not being realistic is a liberal thing, would you not agree?
« Last Edit: December 02, 2017, 03:32:42 am by Fantom »
Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet deprecate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground, they want rain without thunder and lightning, they want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters.

Frederick Douglass

Oceander

« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2017, 03:33:34 am »
Good to finally engage you @Oceander.

Last first as is my wont.

Conflating obamacare with tax reform is simply bloviating nonsense. If you do not mind me saying so. Can we agree to set that nonsense aside? If so , we can reason together.

As one Conservative to another, when have not real tax cuts increased GDP growth... and increased tax revenues? Kennedy/Reagan.... I can bring the charts, but I am sure that will not be necessary.

Using "static" CBO "estimates" is not realistic.  Not being realistic is a liberal thing, would you not agree?

Yeah, right.

Have you actually read any part of this abomination the GOP calls "reform"?  It's nothing more than a foetid goulash of half-baked, half-rotten tidbits from the back of the IRS fridge.

We are not on the top end of the Laffer curve any more; cutting the tax rate is not going to "pay for itself" it'll simply drive up the deficit if spending isn't cut.

Offline Fantom

« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2017, 03:41:27 am »
No, the point is SPENDING!!!!

Imagine conservatives not insisting upon balanced budgets, not reigning in printing presses churning out worthless dollars, and not demanding huge cuts in spending.

Tax cuts are simply rearranging deck chairs.

Politics is the art of the possible.

Right now, insisting on no debt growth is unrealistic. You/we do not have that political power... maybe if you are willing to take up arms... fight in the streets. Until then we engage in the possible.

Tax cuts are not  "rearranging the deck chairs". Particularly not corporate cuts. Those are pure growth. Which is like a pump .. keeping the Titanic afloat. Even if the companies just buy back their stock... that is the greatest of all. People....pensions...401k's hold those stocks. Best way to infuse wealth back into an economy.

Frederick Douglass

Offline Fantom

« Reply #31 on: December 02, 2017, 03:51:49 am »
Yeah, right.

Have you actually read any part of this abomination the GOP calls "reform"?  It's nothing more than a foetid goulash of half-baked, half-rotten tidbits from the back of the IRS fridge.

We are not on the top end of the Laffer curve any more; cutting the tax rate is not going to "pay for itself" it'll simply drive up the deficit if spending isn't cut.

Well, that is certainly an opinion, half baked or no...I respect it... snicker... Jus teasin Oceander.

I disagree with you on tax cutting(particularly corporate) not growing the economy, and more than paying for itself. But I do agree at some point spending must be addressed.Particularly social spending...SS/Mediscam/Mediscare.

You are not going to get even a shot at that without this tax bill, even if it raises short term deficit spending. Fail this and you will get Hoaxahontis or Bernie Bros as the next President.

Then what... armed revolution? As the only choice.

Just what I see.

A Simple Bricklayer.

Frederick Douglass

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #32 on: December 02, 2017, 03:52:16 am »
Politics is the art of the possible.

Right now, insisting on no debt growth is unrealistic. You/we do not have that political power... maybe if you are willing to take up arms... fight in the streets. Until then we engage in the possible.

Tax cuts are not  "rearranging the deck chairs". Particularly not corporate cuts. Those are pure growth. Which is like a pump .. keeping the Titanic afloat. Even if the companies just buy back their stock... that is the greatest of all. People....pensions...401k's hold those stocks. Best way to infuse wealth back into an economy.

No, not if you don't curb the spiraling debt, and curb the printing of cash to cover it. your growth will be offset by inflation. Meet Venezuela. It's right where we're headed. Spending reduction and a sound dollar, or it's all a bandaid on a cut throat. Watch and see.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #33 on: December 02, 2017, 03:54:16 am »
Well, that is certainly an opinion, half baked or no...I respect it... snicker... Jus teasin Oceander.

I disagree with you on tax cutting(particularly corporate) not growing the economy, and more than paying for itself. But I do agree at some point spending must be addressed.Particularly social spending...SS/Mediscam/Mediscare.

You are not going to get even a shot at that without this tax bill, even if it raises short term deficit spending. Fail this and you will get Hoaxahontis or Bernie Bros as the next President.

Then what... armed revolution? As the only choice.

Just what I see.

A Simple Bricklayer.

@Oceander is stone dead right.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #34 on: December 02, 2017, 03:58:42 am »
@Oceander is stone dead right.

@roamer_1

Sorry to disagree with you my good friend but in this case I must!  Cutting the corporate tax  is good for everyo9ne and will more  than pay for itself!

I only wish they would cut it to 0% and be done with it!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Oceander

« Reply #35 on: December 02, 2017, 03:59:42 am »
@roamer_1

Sorry to disagree with you my good friend but in this case I must!  Cutting the corporate tax  is good for everyo9ne and will more  than pay for itself!

/snicker

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #36 on: December 02, 2017, 04:04:55 am »
/snicker

Right back at you councilor!   :whistle:

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Fantom

« Reply #37 on: December 02, 2017, 04:20:21 am »
Right back at you councilor!   :whistle:

I object... much too late for reason.  :cool:

Although, I see how one gets such high post totals here. Snicker
« Last Edit: December 02, 2017, 04:22:14 am by Fantom »

Frederick Douglass

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #38 on: December 02, 2017, 04:24:58 am »

After 800 posts here trying to discuss serious issues...but getting silly nonsense and troll attack responses. 
@KingsX

You are one of the few smart, informed, knowledgeable about many subjects, posters on this forum.  Serious posts are dumped on so I don't post much anymore, either.  If I have something to say to a poster, I private message him/her.

I have looked at your posts to find the one about we are in the end times, but I can't find it.  You give some scripture and I wrote those down but I can't find the post.  I read that on my phone when I was away from home so couldn't bookmark it.  Please send that to me by private message and I'll private message you about that. 

Offline Fantom

« Reply #39 on: December 02, 2017, 05:39:06 am »
Yeah, right.

Sorry @Oceander , I was conflating you with @Once-Ler . To many days at work is my only defense. Hope you forgive.

Still on the deficit/tax  while your argument is far impressive, in color of my error.  :smokin: I still stand with the argument that growth will more than cover cuts.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2017, 05:40:05 am by Fantom »

Frederick Douglass

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #40 on: December 02, 2017, 06:30:30 am »
@roamer_1

@Bigun

Oh I know exactly what it will do... But all that new revenue will just serve to feed the beast. Without fiscal conservatism it just means spend more... and if they keep on printing worthless dollars at an astronomical rate, the inflation will wreck the gains.

I am *all for* corporate tax cuts
But the spending is the problem in the first place.

And I am right with you wrt Fair Tax. 100%

Offline cato potatoe

« Reply #41 on: December 02, 2017, 12:08:42 pm »
No, not if you don't curb the spiraling debt, and curb the printing of cash to cover it. your growth will be offset by inflation. Meet Venezuela. It's right where we're headed. Spending reduction and a sound dollar, or it's all a bandaid on a cut throat. Watch and see.

I've cast my final vote for the GOP at the federal level, until they start acting like adults.  It is impossible to take their rhetoric seriously when their actions are diametrically opposed.

Offline RetBobbyMI

« Reply #42 on: December 02, 2017, 01:39:23 pm »
I've cast my final vote for the GOP at the federal level, until they start acting like adults.  It is impossible to take their rhetoric seriously when their actions are diametrically opposed.
It’s hard to take anyone of the DC culture seriously when they speak out of both sides of their mouths. Case in point: they “debate” for 20 hours on a tax bill. But for what?  All the while the debated, the bill was being rewritten behind closed doors, then they vote...ON WHAT? Like Pilosi famously said, you have to pass it to see what’s in it? What a way to run the government! Pathetic!
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."  -- John Wayne
"Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.� ? Euripides, The Bacchae
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.� ? Laurence J. Peter, The Peter Principle
"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.� ? Bertrand Russell, A History of Western Philosophy

Offline LMAO

« Reply #43 on: December 02, 2017, 01:55:26 pm »
Huh?

The GOP is in charge

Once again, “deficits don’t matter” until they aren’t in charge anymore
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline RetBobbyMI

« Reply #44 on: December 02, 2017, 01:59:22 pm »
The GOP is in charge

What ever happened to all of the fiscal conservatives? Don’t anyone of them step up any more?
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."  -- John Wayne
"Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.� ? Euripides, The Bacchae
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.� ? Laurence J. Peter, The Peter Principle
"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.� ? Bertrand Russell, A History of Western Philosophy

Offline LMAO

« Reply #45 on: December 02, 2017, 02:13:48 pm »
What ever happened to all of the fiscal conservatives? Don’t anyone of them step up any more?

They’ll be back

When and if the Democrats are in power again
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #46 on: December 02, 2017, 02:48:26 pm »
The GOP is in charge

Pssst!  Spending in Washington is WAY down under Trump!  Don't tell anybody or their heads will explode!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #47 on: December 02, 2017, 06:17:57 pm »
Last I heard, Senator Flake is a fag who gets his hair highlighted.

Probably French manicures as well.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #48 on: December 02, 2017, 06:20:16 pm »
@Bigun

Oh I know exactly what it will do... But all that new revenue will just serve to feed the beast. Without fiscal conservatism it just means spend more... and if they keep on printing worthless dollars at an astronomical rate, the inflation will wreck the gains.

I am *all for* corporate tax cuts
But the spending is the problem in the first place.

And I am right with you wrt Fair Tax. 100%

Well, I think we all would like a flat or fair tax.  But, in the real world, we barely got this one passed.  I think we should rejoice in baby steps until we get a better Congress and this move may help us get one.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #49 on: December 02, 2017, 07:47:20 pm »
Well, I think we all would like a flat or fair tax.  But, in the real world, we barely got this one passed.  I think we should rejoice in baby steps until we get a better Congress and this move may help us get one.

NOPE. They are fine with big spending. They are fine with big taxes. the only question at hand is the who that pays those taxes.

I am *not* hearing 'balanced budget'. I am *not* seeing any meaningful reduction in spending. What is said about Republicans is true - They don't mind liberalism and the federal behemoth. They just think they can run it better.