Author Topic: Black lawmakers wonder why Conyers has to go — but not Franken  (Read 1616 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
 Black lawmakers wonder why Conyers has to go — but not Franken

Calls for the Congressional Black Caucus co-founder to resign have been more prevalent than those for the former comedian to step down.

By HEATHER CAYGLE

11/30/2017 08:15 PM EST

Black lawmakers are hearing growing calls for Rep. John Conyers to resign and wondering why Sen. Al Franken isn’t getting the same treatment.

Members of the Congressional Black Caucus have been privately airing concerns about a double standard within Democrats’ ranks since sexual harassment allegations against Conyers, the longest-serving House member and a founder of the CBC, first surfaced last week. Their concerns were thrust into the open Thursday when Conyers’ lawyer hinted that Conyers was being treated differently than Franken because of race.

“Nancy Pelosi is going to have to explain what is the discernible difference between Al Franken and John Conyers,” Arnold Reed, Conyers' attorney, told reporters after the House Minority Leader said Conyers should resign.

more
https://www.politico.com/story/2017/11/30/john-conyers-al-franken-congressional-black-caucus-274335?lo=ap_a1
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline jpsb

Re: Black lawmakers wonder why Conyers has to go — but not Franken
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2017, 02:02:16 pm »
Black law makers waking up to the fact that it is the D party that is racist and
hypocritical? LOL, love it.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2017, 02:06:16 pm »
Non-black citizens are wondering too.   :shrug:

Offline skeeter

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2017, 02:06:23 pm »
Yeah. Why is that?

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2017, 02:12:27 pm »
Because Franken is more of a golden boy and his seat is not guaranteed. Conyers is old and his seat is guaranteed to go to a Democrat.
Countdown to Resignation

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2017, 03:06:36 pm »
“Nancy Pelosi is going to have to explain what is the discernible difference between Al Franken and John Conyers,” Arnold Reed, Conyers' attorney, told reporters after the House Minority Leader said Conyers should resign.

Arnold Reed needs to learn the difference between the House and Senate and take the Franken matter up with Schumer.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2017, 03:07:10 pm by edpc »
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2017, 03:14:20 pm »
Because Franken is more of a golden boy and his seat is not guaranteed. Conyers is old and his seat is guaranteed to go to a Democrat.

Nailed it!

Franken is only there because of MASSIVE voter fraud in his state to begin with!  You could run a Charles Manson clone as a democrat in Conyers's district and win!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2017, 03:39:06 pm »
Not that I generally go along with the identity politics, but they have a point here.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2017, 03:49:54 pm »
Nailed it!

Franken is only there because of MASSIVE voter fraud in his state to begin with! ...

Interesting ... the seat would initially be safely democrat with the Governor's appointment.  Are you saying Minnesota would vote a Republican into the seat in 2018?

@Bigun

Offline jpsb

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2017, 03:52:09 pm »
Not that I generally go along with the identity politics, but they have a point here.

Senate seats are far more valuable then House seats. Particularly with the razor thin
margin in the Senate. Nancy run the house not the Senate. Ask Chucky why groping
Al gets to stay. It's his call not Nancys'.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2017, 03:52:15 pm »
Interesting ... the seat would initially be safely democrat with the Governor's appointment.  Are you saying Minnesota would vote a Republican into the seat in 2018?

@Bigun

@Right_in_Virginia

As I recall it Franken, with the help of MANY illegal votes, unseated a Republican from that seat.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline DiogenesLamp

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2017, 03:54:00 pm »
  Black lawmakers wonder why Conyers has to go — but not Franken

Currently,  a Senator is far more valuable to them than a congressman.   If they are going to try to stop Trump's nominations for the Federal courts,   they need every single Senate vote they can get.   I think this is also why they are trying so desperately hard to torpedo Moore.   

These Presidency nominations are for the whole enchilada.   The courts are going to be reshaped for years because Trump is going to put so many judges into office. 

If they can trade a pawn (Conyers)  for a Rook  (Moore),   it  is a good trade for them. 

‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

Offline jpsb

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2017, 03:54:38 pm »

@Bigun

You think the good people of Minnesota will re-elected a sexual predator?  Best move the D's
could make would be to dump the groper now.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2017, 03:55:42 pm »

Currently,  a Senator is far more valuable to them than a congressman.   If they are going to try to stop Trump's nominations for the Federal courts,   they need every single Senate vote they can get.   I think this is also why they are trying so desperately hard to torpedo Moore.   

These Presidency nominations are for the whole enchilada.   The courts are going to be reshaped for years because Trump is going to put so many judges into office. 

If they can trade a pawn (Conyers)  for a Rook  (Moore),   it  is a good trade for them.

That and the fact that Moore has come out in support of the Fairtax!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2017, 03:56:39 pm »
@Right_in_Virginia

As I recall it Franken, with the help of MANY illegal votes, unseated a Republican from that seat.

Good memory @Bigun !!   He stole it from Norm Coleman (R) in 2008.

Let's jump on the remove Franken bandwagon and open this seat in 2018!!

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2017, 04:00:51 pm »
Good memory @Bigun !!   He stole it from Norm Coleman (R) in 2008.

Let's jump on the remove Franken bandwagon and open this seat in 2018!!

Yeah!  Wasn't sure about the name though.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline DiogenesLamp

« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2017, 04:08:00 pm »
@Right_in_Virginia

They kept "finding"  more votes for Franken.   Coleman had that seat won,  and the lawyers and government official colluders stole that seat from us. 

Franken  never should have been a senator. 
‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2017, 04:20:51 pm »
The difference in treatment isn't racism, it's cynicism and political reality.   Conyers is ultimately expendable because he's from the safest of Democratic districts.   Franken's departure would weaken the Dems' position in the Senate.  (Does Minnesota have a Republican or Democratic governor?  If the former, then the reason for the difference in treatment should be as clear as day.) 
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Online dfwgator

« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2017, 04:21:47 pm »
White privilege.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2017, 04:41:51 pm »
Black law makers waking up to the fact that it is the D party that is racist and
hypocritical? LOL, love it.

The next step, which probably won't happen, is for Black voters to realize that the D party has used them for years and done nothing for them.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Oceander

« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2017, 04:43:11 pm »
In part because Conyers did what he did while he was a congressman and so far what Franken did happened before he was elected.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2017, 04:44:06 pm »

They kept "finding"  more votes for Franken.   Coleman had that seat won,  and the lawyers and government official colluders stole that seat from us. 

Franken  never should have been a senator. 

It is a sad commentary on our political system that Franken is a senator.

But, of course, the dems want him to stay.  Unless more women and more pictures surface, he'll probably ride it out.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2017, 04:49:39 pm »
In part because Conyers did what he did while he was a congressman and so far what Franken did happened before he was elected.

Indeed! That is a part of the mix as well.  as it will be when Roy Moore becomes a U.S. Senator later this month.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2017, 05:48:43 pm »

That is a valid point.
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Ronald Reagan: “Rather than...talking about putting up a fence, why don’t we work out some recognition of our mutual problems and make it possible for them to come here legally with a work permit…earning here they pay taxes here.”

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2017, 06:15:52 pm »

Moore should be fine then too.