Author Topic: Thousands sign petition to change Cuomo Bridge back to Tappan Zee  (Read 1795 times)

Offline Suppressed

Thousands sign petition to change Cuomo Bridge back to Tappan Zee
By Kirstan Conley and Natalie Musumeci | November 13, 2017 | 1:26pm | Updated
https://nypost.com/2017/11/13/thousands-sign-petition-to-change-cuomo-bridge-back-to-tappan-zee/

Gov. Andrew Cuomo at the ribbon-cutting ceremony for the Tappan Zee Bridge replacement, the Gov. Mario M. Cuomo Bridge.
AP

A protest petition has been started to change the name of the new Gov. Mario M. Cuomo Bridge to the Hudson River crossing’s old moniker, the Tappan Zee — and it has already picked up more than 41,000 signatures.

As of Monday morning, thousands of people had signed the Change.org petition entitled, “Return the Cuomo Bridge its original name: The Tappan Zee. That bridge is our history.”

The newly opened $4 billion span, controversially named after Gov. Cuomo’s late three-time Democratic governor dad, was built alongside the old Tappan Zee Bridge between Westchester and Rockland counties to replace the aged cross-over. The Tappan Zee is now being dismantled.

The state Assembly passed last-minute legislation to name the 3.2-mile-long new bridge over the summer. The “Tappan Zee” name had honored the Native American Tappan tribe and early Dutch settlers.

[...]

+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Suppressed

Re: Thousands sign petition to change Cuomo Bridge back to Tappan Zee
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2017, 02:56:58 pm »
From Tappan Zee to Crappan He.

There's now, as of December 1, a fundraiser for this fight.  Please consider signing the petition here:
https://www.change.org/p/the-ny-state-legislature-return-the-tappan-zee-name-to-those-who-rightfully-deserve-it-the-indians-and-dutch
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Oceander

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2017, 06:48:40 pm »
Signed it

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2017, 10:08:10 pm »
Signed it