Author Topic: Matt Lauer terminated from Today Show because of inappropriate behavior  (Read 28346 times)

Offline RoosGirl

Re: Matt Lauer terminated from Today Show because of inappropriate behavior
« Reply #225 on: November 30, 2017, 05:39:53 pm »
Indirectly, it has happened.  What has been said about coerced ("consensual") sex is important.

That's where the "power" thing comes in.  That's why Clinton was guilty with Lewinsky.

She said "yes," but he was still a predator, abusing his power.

That distinction needs to remain clear.

Oh, nonsense.  You are assuming things that are not told you in the story.  You *might* be right, but you could just as easily be wrong.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #226 on: November 30, 2017, 05:44:26 pm »
@RoosGirl
You have, you are arguing that what he's done was consensual.  The guy is a scum bag who has dont so much damage to America by abusing his media power.  We should celebrate his removal.

Again nonsense.  I'm saying that the way the article reads it sounds consensual.  Clearly there were other things going on.  I am commenting on just this one article.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #227 on: November 30, 2017, 05:47:10 pm »
Again nonsense.  I'm saying that the way the article reads it sounds consensual.  Clearly there were other things going on.  I am commenting on just this one article.

How dare you bring facts into this thread. Emotions and anger are the only things allowed.

Sorry, but I just had to report you to the Mods for not following the rules here.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #228 on: November 30, 2017, 05:49:45 pm »
How dare you bring facts into this thread. Emotions and anger are the only things allowed.

Sorry, but I just had to report you to the Mods for not following the rules here.

Since I don't have any emotions that's going to be hard for me.

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #229 on: November 30, 2017, 05:51:49 pm »

@RoosGirl
Under current law a manager cannot have consensual sex with a subordinate (legally).   Of course it happens a lot but his position makes it coercive. 

Regardless a powerful lefty is out, celebrate.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #230 on: November 30, 2017, 05:53:33 pm »
Since I don't have any emotions that's going to be hard for me.

Just got word back from the Mods on your infractions. You are to do three things to keep from getting banned.

1) Sit the eff down.

2) Shut the eff up.

3) Use this as your avatar:

Offline driftdiver

« Reply #231 on: November 30, 2017, 05:55:28 pm »
Just got word back from the Mods on your infractions. You are to do three things to keep from getting banned.

1) Sit the eff down.

2) Shut the eff up.

3) Use this as your avatar:

You're both women, of course you're evil.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #232 on: November 30, 2017, 05:55:55 pm »
@RoosGirl
Under current law a manager cannot have consensual sex with a subordinate (legally).   Of course it happens a lot but his position makes it coercive. 

Regardless a powerful lefty is out, celebrate.

Please quote the lines in the article where it says this woman was a subordinate.

Offline driftdiver

« Reply #233 on: November 30, 2017, 06:00:51 pm »
Please quote the lines in the article where it says this woman was a subordinate.

@RoosGirl
Really thats the hill you're gonna stake your flag on?

Considering who he was and his power at that network nearly everyone could be considered a subordinate.  The exception being some of the other stars and the President of NBC.   He was one of the most powerful men in that organization.   All he had to say is  "get rid of her" and she would be gone.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #234 on: November 30, 2017, 06:04:04 pm »
@RoosGirl

Considering who he was and his power at that network nearly everyone could be considered a subordinate.  The exception being some of the other stars and the President of NBC.   He was one of the most powerful men in that organization.   All he had to say is  "get rid of her" and she would be gone.

You're the one that brought in the "legality" of it all.  Was she his subordinate or not?  We don't even know her name, so there's no way we can know the answer to that question.  You *could* be right, but so could I.  I think I won't assume to know the answer.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #235 on: November 30, 2017, 06:22:15 pm »
Oh, nonsense.  You are assuming things that are not told you in the story.  You *might* be right, but you could just as easily be wrong.

I may say things that you don't agree with, but none of them is "nonsense."

We are all speculating here, but if he is in a position of power and there was some sort of threat involved, then it was not consensual.

There is no more nonsense in my opinion/speculation than in yours.

Matt Lauer is clearly not an honorable man, so my guess is that my speculation has more likelihood of being what happened than giving him the benefit of the doubt.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #236 on: November 30, 2017, 06:25:40 pm »

We are all speculating here, but if he is in a position of power and there was some sort of threat involved, then it was not consensual.

Matt Lauer is clearly not an honorable man, so my guess is that my speculation has more likelihood of being what happened than giving him the benefit of the doubt.

Except that my "opinion" is easily supported based on the information that was given in the article that I have been speaking about and making very clear that I am speaking about.  I'm not just throwing opinion around about what I think of the guy based on some preconceived notion I have about the type of man he is.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #237 on: November 30, 2017, 06:27:18 pm »
@RoosGirl

It's really important to keep in mind the power issue.

In all these recent cases of accusations of predatory behavior, the man involved has been in a position of authority.

It's a factor that can't be sloughed off easily.  Lauer had power at NBC, and you are right in that the women there could all be considered subordinates.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Offline musiclady

« Reply #238 on: November 30, 2017, 06:28:35 pm »
Except that my "opinion" is easily supported based on the information that was given in the article that I have been speaking about and making very clear that I am speaking about.  I'm not just throwing opinion around about what I think of the guy based on some preconceived notion I have about the type of man he is.

Nor am I.

That's where the issue of his being in power over the women needs to be factored in.

(Again...... Clinton/Lewinsky was "consensual" and still an abuse of power and therefore put Clinton in the wrong).
« Last Edit: November 30, 2017, 06:29:54 pm by musiclady »

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #239 on: November 30, 2017, 06:31:55 pm »

Seemed to me she was simply making a distinction between stating speculations as speculations and stating speculations as facts.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #240 on: November 30, 2017, 06:35:24 pm »
Nor am I.

That's where the issue of his being in power over the women needs to be factored in.

(Again...... Clinton/Lewinsky was "consensual" and still an abuse of power and therefore put Clinton in the wrong).

He abused his power over her huh, just because they possibly had consensual sex?  Who is the woman?  What was her position within the organization?

Offline musiclady

« Reply #241 on: November 30, 2017, 06:35:57 pm »
Seemed to me she was simply making a distinction between stating speculations as speculations and stating speculations as facts.

Neither of us did that.  (That's what the word "IF" implies.  Get it?)

The only thing I stated as fact was that Matt Lauer is not an honorable man.

Are you here to argue with me on that?

Offline musiclady

« Reply #242 on: November 30, 2017, 06:38:02 pm »
He abused his power over her huh, just because they possibly had consensual sex?  Who is the woman?  What was her position within the organization?

Curious............. is that what you said when Clinton abused his power and had consensual sex with Monica?

Lauer was in a position of power.  That changes the dynamic of what is or is not, consensual.

That is the only point I'm making, and I see no need to repeat the same thing again.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #243 on: November 30, 2017, 06:41:53 pm »
Curious............. is that what you said when Clinton abused his power and had consensual sex with Monica?

Lauer was in a position of power.  That changes the dynamic of what is or is not, consensual.

That is the only point I'm making, and I see no need to repeat the same thing again.

And this woman could have been in a position of equal power.  We don't know, do we, because we don't know who she is?

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #244 on: November 30, 2017, 06:43:20 pm »
The only thing I stated as fact was that Matt Lauer is not an honorable man.

I think we've known that for years, based on the way he's done is day job. 

What's new here is the allegation he's been banging on the hired help like a screen door in a hurricane, if you'll excuse the expression.  The allegation is serious and confirmed well enough for him to get sacked for Cause like that, and that's a pretty high threshold, considering the money involved (his contract).  If NBC's case was weak he'd be fighting this in court, and so far he is not.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #245 on: November 30, 2017, 06:44:31 pm »
And this woman could have been in a position of equal power.  We don't know, do we, because we don't know who she is?

Is there a woman in a position of equal power?  I thought he was at the tippy-top of the power structure.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #246 on: November 30, 2017, 06:46:24 pm »
Is there a woman in a position of equal power?  I thought he was at the tippy-top of the power structure.

What if it was Katie?

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #247 on: November 30, 2017, 06:48:30 pm »

I also don't know a thing about the ins and outs of NBC's organizational structure.  Is there not a VP at NBC that is a woman?  Don't know.  But that's kinda my point.  With this particular story only, we don't know.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #248 on: November 30, 2017, 06:48:59 pm »
What if it was Katie?

There's that.  My guess is he doesn't have the guts or the stomach.  Just a guess.
I will NOT comply.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #249 on: November 30, 2017, 06:49:57 pm »
What if it was Katie?

From this morning's NYPost:

Katie Couric - who co-hosted with Lauer from his start in 1997 to her departure in 2006 - revealed in a June 2012 interview his "annoying" habit of getting too handsy with her.  "He pinches me on the ass a lot", Couric said on Bravo's :Watch What Happens Live with Andy Cohen".   

It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide