Author Topic: Why It’s Justified To Vote For A Morally Questionable Politician  (Read 11680 times)

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
Re: Why It’s Justified To Vote For A Morally Questionable Politician
« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2017, 08:21:47 pm »
????
How do you prove that something didn't happen?
Well, if you were accused of doing something that you actually didn't do, you'd damn well
prove you didn't do it, wouldn't you?

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2017, 08:31:32 pm »
Well, if you were accused of doing something that you actually didn't do, you'd damn well

From 40 years ago? How?
The Republic is lost.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2017, 08:48:23 pm »
From 40 years ago? How?
Mr. Moore could litigate, couldn't he? Put the burden of proof on his accusers? On The Washington
? Hasn't he threatened to do so? Why not make the threat reality? It isn't unprecedented so
far as I know for decades-old accusations to be taken to court and disposed of in one or another
way. You'd think a man with a reputation on the line, accused of such sordid doings, would want
to see his name cleared as far as it can be cleared. (Though in Mr. Moore's case, from what I've
seen of his attorney so far I think I'd want to change attorneys first . . . )

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2017, 10:04:40 pm »
Mr. Moore could litigate, couldn't he? Put the burden of proof on his accusers? On The Washington
? Hasn't he threatened to do so? Why not make the threat reality? It isn't unprecedented so
far as I know for decades-old accusations to be taken to court and disposed of in one or another
way. You'd think a man with a reputation on the line, accused of such sordid doings, would want
to see his name cleared as far as it can be cleared. (Though in Mr. Moore's case, from what I've
seen of his attorney so far I think I'd want to change attorneys first . . . )

Sure.  And in the meantime he's supposed to sit back and watch Doug Jones be sworn into the office that he is eventually shown to have been qualified for.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2017, 10:05:34 pm »

Guilty until he proves his innocence?
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #30 on: November 28, 2017, 10:08:13 pm »
Guilty until he proves his innocence?
What would you call refusing to fight back against a grotesque accusation that you know in your guts
isn't true?

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #31 on: November 28, 2017, 10:18:16 pm »
Sure.  And in the meantime he's supposed to sit back and watch Doug Jones be sworn into the office that he is eventually shown to have been qualified for.
Suppose he beats Jones (it could happen) but then it turns out that he actually is guilty as accused?
That's a real enough possibility, too. And it would (should) make a reasonable Republican think, "We've
been hammering Democrats who've been sexually misbehaving and now we've got one of our own who's
done it? Boy, don't we look good."

Now, let's remove the accusations entirely. Assume Mr. Moore is innocent. I can think of something else that
might disqualify him: he has said much in the past that would lead one to assume reasonably that
he would, given his druthers, require religious tests as a qualification to office---contra Article
VI, Section III of the Constitution. That would still make him more palatable than Mr. Jones, of course,
and he would be a likely minority of one in the Senate in such an instance, but it doesn't leave Alabama
voters with a terribly healthy choice, even if you could say that, since it was Alabama Republicans and
Alabama Democrats who created the choice in the first place, let it be on their heads.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #32 on: November 28, 2017, 10:52:45 pm »
Suppose he beats Jones (it could happen) but then it turns out that he actually is guilty as accused?
That's a real enough possibility, too. And it would (should) make a reasonable Republican think, "We've
been hammering Democrats who've been sexually misbehaving and now we've got one of our own who's
done it? Boy, don't we look good."

At that point the Senate could legitimately take action to remove him from that body

Now, let's remove the accusations entirely. Assume Mr. Moore is innocent. I can think of something else that
might disqualify him: he has said much in the past that would lead one to assume reasonably that
he would, given his druthers, require religious tests as a qualification to office---contra Article
VI, Section III of the Constitution. That would still make him more palatable than Mr. Jones, of course,
and he would be a likely minority of one in the Senate in such an instance, but it doesn't leave Alabama
voters with a terribly healthy choice, even if you could say that, since it was Alabama Republicans and
Alabama Democrats who created the choice in the first place, let it be on their heads.

He has done no such thing!  All he has suggested is that people who hold judicial offices in this country should know the basis of our law and I happen to agree with him on that point.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline skeeter

« Reply #33 on: November 28, 2017, 10:56:26 pm »
At that point the Senate could legitimately take action to remove him from that body

And all of the other sexual deviants currently infesting congress named and put up in the docket with him.

I'll take that deal any day of the week.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #34 on: November 28, 2017, 11:05:03 pm »

He has done no such thing!  All he has suggested is that people who hold judicial offices in this country should know the basis of our law and I happen to agree with him on that point.
I think some people confuse the source of our rights with the source of our law, including Mr.
Moore. For the source of our law, I would suggest Mr. Moore read The Federalist Papers.

« Last Edit: November 28, 2017, 11:07:40 pm by EasyAce »

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #35 on: November 28, 2017, 11:06:40 pm »
And all of the other sexual deviants currently infesting congress named and put up in the docket with him.

I'll take that deal any day of the week.
If you did line him and all the other sexual deviants up and in the docket with him, it's entirely possible
that we might have to have special elections to re-install an entire Congress! ;)

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #36 on: November 28, 2017, 11:10:11 pm »
I think some people confuse the source of our rights with the source of our law, including Mr.
Moore. For the source of our law, I would suggest Mr. Moore read The Federalist Papers.

I think Mr. Moore 's understanding of that far surpasses yours.  In fact I'm absolutely certain of it.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #37 on: November 28, 2017, 11:14:01 pm »
What would you call refusing to fight back against a grotesque accusation that you know in your guts
isn't true?

Goes by another name when the leftist media reports it:  "Blaming the victim."

The guy can't win, and if this stands an opposition party (either one) will hold a veto power over any candidate it cares to find important enough to stop.  All they have to do is wait until the ink is dry on the ballots, then print a story that is heavy on the "ick factor," like this one.  It will peel back natural supporters of the candidate while leaving the supporters of the other candidate intact.  At the moment, it's Dems more likely to do it to Reps because Dems (until recently) carry an immunity.  They have never professed to be any kind of "moral."
« Last Edit: November 28, 2017, 11:14:59 pm by Cyber Liberty »
I will NOT comply.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #38 on: November 28, 2017, 11:14:24 pm »
If you did line him and all the other sexual deviants up and in the docket with him, it's entirely possible
that we might have to have special elections to re-install an entire Congress! ;)

Yes.

And wouldn't that be wonderful.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #39 on: November 28, 2017, 11:15:59 pm »
Yes.

And wouldn't that be wonderful.

It's why it will never happen.
I will NOT comply.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #40 on: November 28, 2017, 11:23:58 pm »
So then the Dems can simply make accusations against their every opponent, and we should let them win every election?

Yes. This is the new paradigm and tool the Oligarchy will now use to choose our rulers for us.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #41 on: November 28, 2017, 11:31:31 pm »
Yes. This is the new paradigm and tool the Oligarchy will now use to choose our rulers for us.

And people who used to consider themselves friends and allies will turn on each other.  Like magic.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2017, 11:31:52 pm by Cyber Liberty »
I will NOT comply.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #42 on: November 28, 2017, 11:43:29 pm »
Goes by another name when the leftist media reports it:  "Blaming the victim."

The guy can't win, and if this stands an opposition party (either one) will hold a veto power over any candidate it cares to find important enough to stop.  All they have to do is wait until the ink is dry on the ballots, then print a story that is heavy on the "ick factor," like this one.  It will peel back natural supporters of the candidate while leaving the supporters of the other candidate intact.  At the moment, it's Dems more likely to do it to Reps because Dems (until recently) carry an immunity.  They have never professed to be any kind of "moral."
But the Republican Party has professed to be any kind of moral in the past. Then, as has been said
so often you could probably recite it in your sleep, first came a presidential candidate who bragged about
what he could do with his hands on a certain part of the female anatomy at will, if he so chose, not to
mention having been an adulterer in his past; then, comes a Senate candidate who is accused of sexual
misconduct involving a fourteen-year-old girl when he was in his thirties. And we probably have no idea
about how many other Republican incumbents or candidates might yet be accountable for such behaviours,
though we've had the occasional one held to account in the past.

If nothing else comes of this sorry state of affairs, you can hope all political parties think about doing better
when it comes to vetting candidates. I'm not fool enough to believe we're going to elect saints, but neither
am I fool enough to think it's no big deal that sexual criminals become our elected representatives so long
as they stand for the right things otherwise . . .
« Last Edit: November 28, 2017, 11:48:22 pm by EasyAce »

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #43 on: November 29, 2017, 12:40:52 am »
I give up.
I will NOT comply.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #45 on: November 29, 2017, 12:54:43 am »
I've said it numerous times in this forum, and I'll state it again:
If I had to choose, I'd prefer a morally corrupt politician who will leave me and the rest of the citizenry alone to the squeaky-clean "honest" one who will try to impose upon me (or the country).

We -had- a corrupt governor here in Connecticut not that long ago (Rowland), who eventually went to prison for taking bribes.
BUT... while he was in office... he didn't raise my taxes, didn't try to pass any laws that restricted my freedoms (such as the gun restriction law that later got passed by the democrat-communists), and the like.

Of course, if a politician does exhibit good character as well as doing the right thing, that's a plus.

But all that talk about "character" and "morals" -- well, that and $2.01 buys a medium-sized coffee at the local Dunkin' -- and you still have to request the senior discount to get that price.

So I could care less if a President Trump tweets too much, or what have you.
What matters to me is what he DOES in office.
And so far, he's done just about everything right, to my mind.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #46 on: November 29, 2017, 01:27:18 am »
And they win again!

Getting tired of being shot at by "our" own side, Bigun...
I will NOT comply.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #47 on: November 29, 2017, 01:28:41 am »

They ain't on our side my friend and never have been!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #48 on: November 29, 2017, 01:31:11 am »
They ain't on our side my friend and never have been!

Then we're in bigger trouble than we thought.  There are a lot more of them....
I will NOT comply.

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #49 on: November 29, 2017, 01:31:41 am »

I believe it was Thomas Sowell who wrote that there is no "right wing", simply a collection of groups whose values are contrary to the left wing.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.