Author Topic: Amazon staff blast 'intolerable' conditions: Warehouse workers are pictured 'asleep on their feet' a  (Read 1641 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Amazon staff blast 'intolerable' conditions: Warehouse workers are pictured 'asleep on their feet' as they claim they are forced to work 55-hour weeks and say some are taken away in AMBULANCES
Daily Mail/UK, Nov 26, 2017

Amazon's staff are falling asleep on their feet and being taken away in ambulances as they struggle to meet warehouse targets, an investigation has claimed.

Cameras monitor every move as employees try to process up to 300 items an hour, it has been alleged. Screens remind them if they are falling short.

Exhausted staff are said to cover clocks so they are not reminded how long there is to go on their shifts, and have to walk up to a third of a mile to use the toilet.

The claims in a newspaper were made about the online retailer’s newest warehouse – which the company refers to as a ‘fulfilment centre’ – in Tilbury, Essex.

The packing plant is the biggest in Europe, the size of 11 football pitches, and is due to ship 1.2million items this year.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5118951/Amazon-staff-complain-conditions-Tilbury.html#ixzz4zdtkA9pJ

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
55 hours a week for hourly pay

OH MY GOSH!!!!!    Thats terrible

cut their hours to 20 and let them find someplace to spend their free time
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline skeeter

55 hours a week for hourly pay

OH MY GOSH!!!!!    Thats terrible

cut their hours to 20 and let them find someplace to spend their free time

I worked that many hours weekly for years on end on a salary. I'm sure I'm not alone.

Offline Applewood

I worked that many hours weekly for years on end on a salary. I'm sure I'm not alone.

I did.  When the bosses were going to trial, I sometimes worked 36 hours straight.  Even when there was no trial, the job was almost never 9-5.   

If these folks aren't happy, they can always find employment elsewhere.

Offline Frank Cannon

Not to worry. Bezos will have robots replacing these people in short order.

BTW I have some tenants that work for Amazon and it does sound like an awful place to work for $13 an hour.

« Last Edit: November 27, 2017, 03:03:36 pm by Free Vulcan »

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
I last job I worked it was 60-70 hrs per week for months. Granted I know warehouse work is intense, but 55 hours per week isn't excessive. That's 11 hours per day 5 days a week, with a couple of days off. Even if 8h/7d that's not exhausting. I know people that have worked 12h/7d a week for years.

That said, I thought Bezos was a big compassionate liberal?
« Last Edit: November 27, 2017, 03:03:48 pm by Free Vulcan »
The Republic is lost.

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire

BTW I have some tenants that work for Amazon and it does sound like an awful place to work for $13 an hour.

normal people would be thankful for the extra dollars to buy Christmas presents with.  Especially those in the $13 /hr range that I know.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee

I eventually chose not to work that many hours. I discovered it really didn't do anything for my career.
My wife is a wage employee at a CPA office. Overtime is expected but they limit her OT because they pay her for it.
Pay me ~$20 an hour in overtime for my $13/hr job and I might jump on that.
Countdown to Resignation

Offline skeeter

I eventually chose not to work that many hours. I discovered it really didn't do anything for my career.
My wife is a wage employee at a CPA office. Overtime is expected but they limit her OT because they pay her for it.
Pay me ~$20 an hour in overtime for my $13/hr job and I might jump on that.

Frankly it wasn't so much a matter of helping a career as not hurting it - no one wants to be seen putting in fewer hours than the office Johnny On The Spot.

Offline ConstitutionRose

I did.  When the bosses were going to trial, I sometimes worked 36 hours straight.  Even when there was no trial, the job was almost never 9-5.   

If these folks aren't happy, they can always find employment elsewhere.

Legal secretary?  Legal assistant?  The Washington DC law firm I worked for had showers.  They'd send a taxi to pick up fresh clothes from your home so you didn't have to leave the office.  Food available 24/7.

One of the new attorneys told me her dog growled and barked at her when she finally got home in the wee hours of the morning after being absent 10 days straight, which followed weeks where she had only been home for a few hours at a time.

Law firms were notorious sweat shops.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2017, 03:31:56 pm by ConstitutionRose »
"Old man can't is dead.  I helped bury him."  Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas quoting his grandfather.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
They should try working UPS or FedEx loading trucks this time of year.  It's brutal.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline RoosGirl

The robots will probably do a better job of packaging things so that they don't break in transit, and a better job figuring out how to put packages inside our 4.5' tall gate that their delivery people say makes delivery impossible.  Amazon must be hiring the dumbest of the dumb if UPS, FedEx and USPS can all figure out how to put a package over a 4.5' tall gate and Amazon workers can't.

Offline Frank Cannon

normal people would be thankful for the extra dollars to buy Christmas presents with.  Especially those in the $13 /hr range that I know.

LOL. Extra dollar? These people can barely afford food and rent. Any extra dollars made with extra hours is spent to live before it is gotten. 

Offline Frank Cannon

The robots will probably do a better job of packaging things so that they don't break in transit, and a better job figuring out how to put packages inside our 4.5' tall gate that their delivery people say makes delivery impossible.  Amazon must be hiring the dumbest of the dumb if UPS, FedEx and USPS can all figure out how to put a package over a 4.5' tall gate and Amazon workers can't.

You have actual Amazon employees deliver your shit?

Offline RoosGirl

You have actual Amazon employees deliver your shit?

Just within the last couple weeks some things are delivered directly by Amazon.  We have a warehouse within an hour to hour and a half from the house.

Offline Frank Cannon

Just within the last couple weeks some things are delivered directly by Amazon.  We have a warehouse within an hour to hour and a half from the house.

Geez. We have a warehouse in our immediate area and only UPS and the mail man deliver the crap. Are you sure it's Amazon or is it just some stalker tracking you down.

Offline RoosGirl

Geez. We have a warehouse in our immediate area and only UPS and the mail man deliver the crap. Are you sure it's Amazon or is it just some stalker tracking you down.

Well, the stalker wouldn't surprise me, but

https://toolcraze.net/amzl-us-amazon-ships-products-using-shipping-carrier/

Offline Applewood

Legal secretary?  Legal assistant?  The Washington DC law firm I worked for had showers.  They'd send a taxi to pick up fresh clothes from your home so you didn't have to leave the office.  Food available 24/7.

One of the new attorneys told me her dog growled and barked at her when she finally got home in the wee hours of the morning after being absent 10 days straight, which followed weeks where she had only been home for a few hours at a time.

Secretary.  And the firms I worked for didn't have showers and all that other stuff.  If I wanted to eat, I had to bring my own.  Ever try typing with one hand and eating with the other?  I did that...a lot. 

I don't believe secretaries work like that anymore...at least around where I live.  The last firm I worked for had few legal secretaries.  Attorneys were computer savvy and did much of their own work.  And the younger secretaries didn't have the work ethic of my generation and older.  They try to get away with doing as little work as possible.

Offline ConstitutionRose

Secretary.  And the firms I worked for didn't have showers and all that other stuff.  If I wanted to eat, I had to bring my own.  Ever try typing with one hand and eating with the other?  I did that...a lot. 

I don't believe secretaries work like that anymore...at least around where I live.  The last firm I worked for had few legal secretaries.  Attorneys were computer savvy and did much of their own work.  And the younger secretaries didn't have the work ethic of my generation and older.  They try to get away with doing as little work as possible.

A tough job in the day.  Not for the faint of heart.  And you are correct, the attorneys are computer savvy and it has changed the practice of law dramatically.  Another thing that changed the practice of law was when women became partners.  The crazy hours got better because women needed some family time.

I worked for Wilmer, Cutler & Pickering.  Lloyd Cutler was counsel to two presidents.  It was ALL about the work.  They did pay for me to go get my Legal Assistant certification from George Washington University.  They got their money's worth from that investment, but it proved helpful to me for as long as I chose to work in law firms.

We have a all women law firm for a client (well, I there IS one male).  They go home at 5:00 o'clock and take every Friday off.  I couldn't believe it at first!!
"Old man can't is dead.  I helped bury him."  Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas quoting his grandfather.

Online corbe

I maintained the Laser and Radio Equipment in Wal~Mart warehouses all across this Country and this work ethic is standard across the industry.   Any Company that put's 'Our People Make The Difference' in big letters across the outside front of their humongous building is probably lying.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat

I worked for an international news agency. We had showers too and free food, 16-18 hour days were normal, and sometimes I didn't go home for a couple days at a time either, if something broke. It eats you alive. And I was salaried
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Applewood

A tough job in the day.  Not for the faint of heart.  And you are correct, the attorneys are computer savvy and it has changed the practice of law dramatically.  Another thing that changed the practice of law was when women became partners.  The crazy hours got better because women needed some family time.

I worked for Wilmer, Cutler & Pickering.  Lloyd Cutler was counsel to two presidents.  It was ALL about the work.  They did pay for me to go get my Legal Assistant certification from George Washington University.  They got their money's worth from that investment, but it proved helpful to me for as long as I chose to work in law firms.

We have a all women law firm for a client (well, I there IS one male).  They go home at 5:00 o'clock and take every Friday off.  I couldn't believe it at first!!

Most of the firm's I worked for were lenient to the married with children.  Singles like me had no life outside the offce (according to them) so we were slaves.

The firm's would always send me to learn about some new technology or court procedure.  The other secretaries never wanted to learn. Before I became sick, the local court introduced and mandated electronic filing of most court papers. About a dozen secretaries, including yours truly, went to classes to learn the new procedures. The idea was that we would learn and then teach the others.  Well, most of the other secretaries ignored or slept through the classes.   Ended up that I was the only one who paid atrention.  And when I tried to set up classes at the firm for those who didn't attend the original classes, I was shot down.  They all figured that it was a lot easier to have me do the work than for them to learn something new.

Shortly before I became ill, I offered to teach one of the secretaries and she blew me off. So I said, some day I might be run over by a bus, you are going to need to file a document with the court and you won't have me to rely on.  What was she going to do?   Well, she scoffed at me.  Sure enough, I became ill and could no longer work.  It was panic time at the office. How were they going to get documents filed?  Well, sorry.  I was in ICU with a breathing tube shoved down my throat. No way was I going to be able to go to the office and bail them out. 

I bemoan what I was taught to be a lack of work ethic, but apparently now, going home at 5 is becoming the norm.  Of course, along with that haa been a reduction in support staff.  Employers figure, why pay for secretaries when we can do things ourselves?

Offline Suppressed

It's quite horrific.  But at least this time of year, it's not sweltering like in the summers.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
I've seen mixed reports on working for Amazon in the warehouses. Some people say it sucks but a lot of people I hear prefer it over retail.