Author Topic: Congress returns to nightmare December  (Read 1737 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Congress returns to nightmare December
« on: November 27, 2017, 01:33:18 pm »
Congress returns to nightmare December
By Jordain Carney - 11/27/17 06:00 AM EST

Lawmakers are bracing for chaos in December as they plunge into several high-stakes legislative fights.

Both chambers are expected to be in session for roughly 15 days before leaving town until January, but the looming battles could push their exit date closer to Christmas.

Republicans want to get a key agenda item, tax reform, to President Trump’s desk by the end of the year.

more
http://thehill.com/blogs/floor-action/senate/361602-congress-returns-to-nightmare-december
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Applewood

Re: Congress returns to nightmare December
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2017, 02:13:23 pm »
It will be a nightmare because Republicans have to come up with a way to not reform our tax system, yet give Trump some half-ass legislation he and they can sell to the people as tax reform. 

Sometimes it's not all that easy to lie and cheat the constituency.  It takes work -- a four letter word in congress.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2017, 02:18:01 pm »
It will be a nightmare because Republicans have to come up with a way to not reform our tax system, yet give Trump some half-ass legislation he and they can sell to the people as tax reform. 

Sometimes it's not all that easy to lie and cheat the constituency.  It takes work -- a four letter word in congress.

Excellent post!  Nailed it!  888high58888
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2017, 02:55:03 pm »
Congress Returns to Intense Pressure to End Secrecy Over Sex Harassment
NY Times, Nov 26, 2017, SHERYL GAY STOLBERG and YAMICHE ALCINDOR

WASHINGTON — Lawmakers are facing mounting pressure to end Capitol Hill’s culture of secrecy over sexual harassment as they return from a holiday break, with members of both parties calling for Congress to overhaul its handling of misconduct claims and to unmask lawmakers who have paid settlements using taxpayer money.

On Sunday, the roiling debate over sexual harassment cost one lawmaker who has paid such a settlement — Representative John Conyers Jr. of Michigan — his post as the top Democrat on the House Judiciary Committee, at least temporarily. Mr. Conyers, the longest-serving member of the House, announced that he was stepping aside as the House Ethics Committee investigates  allegations that he sexually harassed aides.

More: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/26/us/politics/john-conyers-steps-down-judiciary-committee-sexual-harassment.html?_r=0

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2017, 02:59:27 pm »
Donald J. Trump‏Verified account @realDonaldTrump 11m11 minutes ago
 The Tax Cut Bill is coming along very well, great support. With just a few changes, some mathematical, the middle class and job producers can get even more in actual dollars and savings and the pass through provision becomes simpler and really works well!

Offline Applewood

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2017, 03:11:20 pm »

Said pretty much the same thing about the first Obamacare "repeal" proposal offered by the House. I don't think he reads these proposals or has any idea what's in them.

Offline RetBobbyMI

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2017, 04:12:25 pm »
As long as Congress nibbles crumbs of the edges of the tax code, there is nothing to smile about.  They keep treating it like its part of the budget so not progress will EVER be made.  The ONLY way is a Convention of States to repel the 16th Amendment to take the power of direct taxation away.  It would put the taxing power back with the states, and abolish the IRS as they would have no purpose. The states can chose their own means of taxation.  Imposing taxes on the states would give them for skin in the game and reduce the impulsive sanctuary city business and padding the census numbers as they would get taxed based on those extra people.
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."  -- John Wayne
"Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.� ? Euripides, The Bacchae
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.� ? Laurence J. Peter, The Peter Principle
"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.� ? Bertrand Russell, A History of Western Philosophy

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2017, 07:23:16 pm »
As long as Congress nibbles crumbs of the edges of the tax code, there is nothing to smile about.  They keep treating it like its part of the budget so not progress will EVER be made.  The ONLY way is a Convention of States to repel the 16th Amendment to take the power of direct taxation away.  It would put the taxing power back with the states, and abolish the IRS as they would have no purpose. The states can chose their own means of taxation.  Imposing taxes on the states would give them for skin in the game and reduce the impulsive sanctuary city business and padding the census numbers as they would get taxed based on those extra people.

Or simply pass the Fairtax bill currently languishing in the W&M Committee!

http://fairtax.org

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2017, 08:05:14 pm »
Said pretty much the same thing about the first Obamacare "repeal" proposal offered by the House. I don't think he reads these proposals or has any idea what's in them.

Oh come now, Donald wouldn't Tweet something this important if it weren't true.

Offline RetBobbyMI

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2017, 12:31:20 am »

Languishing is the key word.  Don't trust Congress to do anything "fair" when it come to taxes.  As long as they insist any change in tax revenue (especial reductions) must be PAID for, there is no incentive to do anything.
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.� ? Laurence J. Peter, The Peter Principle
"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.� ? Bertrand Russell, A History of Western Philosophy

Offline Fantom

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2017, 12:46:29 am »

Not this time around , my friend. It needs more time... cancer will remove some of the cancer in the Senate, and then ..maybe in 2018. Hope doth spring eternal ..Eh?

I'll take the tax plan as written now. Two items. One: that the corporate tax is 20% immediately. Two: that the obamacare mandate is repealed.. You like your obamacare.. you can keep your obamacare... leave the rest of us alone

Likewise I relish the thought of the regressive/left/dems shutting down the government for illegals/daca. Make it a clean funding bill or nothing.

Remember obama spending millions to "shut" down open air memorials like Mount Rushmore...lol. Imagine a President Trump turning off all obamaphones.... better yet direcing the one place they can call ..their representative..... We are sorry, your representative has shut down your phone, you will be redirected to his direct phone number.
Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet deprecate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground, they want rain without thunder and lightning, they want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters.

Frederick Douglass

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2017, 12:48:34 am »
Languishing is the key word.  Don't trust Congress to do anything "fair" when it come to taxes.  As long as they insist any change in tax revenue (especial reductions) must be PAID for, there is no incentive to do anything.

The govenment of a FREE people has absolutely no business having a tool like the IRS at their disposal and, IMHO, WE should be marching in the streets of Washington demanding the end of it!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline RetBobbyMI

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2017, 12:52:14 am »
The govenment of a FREE people has absolutely no business having a tool like the IRS at their disposal and, IMHO, WE should be marching in the streets of Washington demanding the end of it!
As long as there is direct taxes on individuals and corporations, the IRS bureaucracy will remain...unfortunately. Do away with direct taxes and they have no reason to exist.  The FairTax doesn't solve that problem.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2017, 12:52:54 am by RetBobbyMI »

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2017, 01:04:25 am »
As long as there is direct taxes on individuals and corporations, the IRS bureaucracy will remain...unfortunately. Do away with direct taxes and they have no reason to exist.  The FairTax doesn't solve that problem.

Like hell it doesn't!  The fairtax would return us to the EXACT form of taxation universally endorsed by the founders!  Taxes on articles of consumption only!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Fantom

« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2017, 01:06:09 am »

True, I prefer a sales tax...not vat tax. And use taxes/fees.... like the fuel tax for road infrastructure. But the "Fair" tax is a major step in the right direction. Along with that .....a Constitutional amendment limiting federal spending to 10% GDP, with military spending 60% of that.... would go a long way to reigning in the Beast.
Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet deprecate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground, they want rain without thunder and lightning, they want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters.

Frederick Douglass

Offline RetBobbyMI

« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2017, 01:13:43 am »
Like hell it doesn't!  The fairtax would return us to the EXACT form of taxation universally endorsed by the founders!  Taxes on articles of consumption only!
I differ in your interpretation.  Article I Section 2 originally stated: "...direct Taxes shall be apportioned among the several States which may be included within this Union, according to their respective Numbers, which shall be determined by adding to the whole Number of free Persons, including those bound to Service for a Term of Years, and excluding Indians not taxed, three fifths of all other Persons."
« Last Edit: November 28, 2017, 01:14:07 am by RetBobbyMI »

Offline RetBobbyMI

« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2017, 01:16:13 am »
True, I prefer a sales tax...not vat tax. And use taxes/fees.... like the fuel tax for road infrastructure. But the "Fair" tax is a major step in the right direction. Along with that .....a Constitutional amendment limiting federal spending to 10% GDP, with military spending 60% of that.... would go a long way to reigning in the Beast.
Any tax by the feds not apportioned to the states, will require a bureaucracy like the IRS to collect and monitor.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2017, 01:34:11 am »
Any tax by the feds not apportioned to the states, will require a bureaucracy like the IRS to collect and monitor.

Sorry my friend but that is just flat out wrong!  The Fairtax is a point of retail sale only sales tax on NEW goods and services only. It would be collected by the states and does not require the existence of the IRS at all!  In fact, the bill MANDATES the abolition of that agency and the destruction of all it's records.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline RetBobbyMI

« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2017, 01:40:09 am »
Sorry my friend but that is just flat out wrong!  The Fairtax is a point of retail sale only sales tax on NEW goods and services only. It would be collected by the states and does not require the existence of the IRS at all!  In fact, the bill MANDATES the abolition of that agency and the destruction of all it's records.
Ok good, except that can you imagine the instant increase in cost to those on fixed incomes, without a corresponding increase in pensions, social security and the like?  10 or even 15% of additional increase in cost of goods (taxes) not now paid by these people, one of which is ME!
« Last Edit: November 28, 2017, 01:41:01 am by RetBobbyMI »

Offline Fantom

« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2017, 01:43:54 am »
Ok good, except that can you imagine the instant increase in cost to those on fixed incomes, without a corresponding increase in pensions, social security and the like?  10 or even 15% of additional increase in cost of goods (taxes) not now paid by these people, one of which is ME!

That is an easy fix. Basic foods and services are exempt.... for everyone. No wealth transfer either without loss of vote. Free food..no vote. Free phone..no vote... Free..well you get my meanin'.

Frederick Douglass

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2017, 01:45:20 am »

Wrong again!  There won't be any increased costs because there will no longer be a corporate income tax and all the cost's it imposes on the price of everything manufactured in this country today.  And under the fairtax you would only have to earn $100 in order to have the funds necessary to purchase a $100 item!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline RetBobbyMI

« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2017, 01:47:05 am »
That is an easy fix. Basic foods and services are exempt.... for everyone. No wealth transfer either without loss of vote. Free food..no vote. Free phone..no vote... Free..well you get my meanin'.
Agreeable.  Now get rid of all those annoying hidden nitnoid fees and taxes on cable and other telecommunications bills that who knows where they go.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2017, 01:48:32 am »

Nope!  NO exemptions period!  The instant you do that you bring back the K Street lobby in it's full glory!  The Fairtax would instead just refund in advance ALL of each persons taxes on ALL of their spending up to the poverty level.  YOU decide what your necessities are instead of some government flunky doing it for you!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline RetBobbyMI

« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2017, 01:48:57 am »
Wrong again!  There won't be any increased costs because there will no longer be a corporate income tax and all the cost's it imposes on the price of everything manufactured in this country today.  And under the fairtax you would only have to earn $100 in order to have the funds necessary to purchase a $100 item!
But its still a bigger hit on disposable income than now for retired folks on social security and pension plans, much of which isn't taxed now.

Offline RetBobbyMI

« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2017, 01:49:55 am »
Nope!  NO exemptions period!  The instant you do that you bring back the K Street lobby in it's full glory!  The Fairtax would instead just refund in advance ALL of each persons taxes on ALL of their spending up to the poverty level.  YOU decide what your necessities are instead of some government flunky doing it for you!
POVERTY Level?  shirley...you jest.