Author Topic: The backlash is building over the plan to gut net neutrality  (Read 458 times)

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
The backlash is building over the plan to gut net neutrality
« on: November 23, 2017, 12:49:01 pm »
 by Alyssa Newcomb

https://www.nbcnews.com/tech/tech-news/backlash-building-over-plan-gut-net-neutrality-n823436

The Republican-helmed Federal Communications Commission is expected to pull the plug on net neutrality rules in three weeks - but tech companies, entrepreneurs, and other concerned users are vowing to not go down without a fight.

On one side are internet service providers, who believe rolling back the Obama-era rules will allow them to innovate and offer customers new options at more competitive price points. Tech companies, including Google, Facebook and Apple have warned this could set a dangerous precedent, allowing these internet service providers to become gatekeepers of information and entertainment.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: The backlash is building over the plan to gut net neutrality
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2017, 02:52:16 pm »
So, is this what the other hand is doing in DC? (We knew it'd be below desk level).
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline skeeter

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2017, 02:56:06 pm »
Tech companies, including Google, Facebook and Apple have warned this could set a dangerous precedent, allowing these internet service providers to become gatekeepers of information and entertainment.

This line is hilariously ironic.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2017, 03:15:57 pm »
Tech companies, including Google, Facebook and Apple have warned this could set a dangerous precedent, allowing these internet service providers to become gatekeepers of information and entertainment.

This line is hilariously ironic.

See the story that is under the one I posted.

YouTube increasing oversight of ‘family-friendly’ content

Additional. Alphabet, Inc.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=24&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiN5eqq_dTXAhWD54MKHYrCAhsQs2YInAEoADAX&url=https%3A%2F%2Fen.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FAlphabet_Inc.&usg=AOvVaw0EEqPQp0geW0_z9q9zRG2G

The establishment of Alphabet was prompted by a desire to make the core Google Internet services business "cleaner and more accountable" while allowing greater autonomy to group companies that operate in businesses other than Internet services

Page says the motivation behind the reorganization is to make Google "cleaner and more accountable." He also said he wanted to improve "the transparency and oversight of what we’re doing," and to allow greater control of unrelated companies
« Last Edit: November 23, 2017, 03:16:53 pm by bigheadfred »
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2017, 03:22:47 am »
From its beginning until 2015, the internet grew well enough on its own without any regulation.

The last 2 years (when "net neutrality" was in some sort of effect) haven't changed things much in either direction, insofar as I can see (but then again, my view is limited).