Author Topic: California Rampage Puts Spotlight On Homemade 'Ghost Guns’  (Read 404 times)

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
California Rampage Puts Spotlight On Homemade 'Ghost Guns’
« on: November 17, 2017, 02:27:57 am »
LOS ANGELES (AP) -- The gunman who killed his wife and four others in a rampage in Northern California this week found an easy way around a court order prohibiting him from having guns: He built his own at home.

Kevin Neal, 44, was armed with what authorities believe were two high-powered rifles that he made himself when he opened fire Tuesday on homes, cars and an elementary school around his tiny hometown of Rancho Tehama Reserve. A deputy finally shot and killed him.

It is the latest case of homemade semi-automatic weapons being used in a crime, and it comes as federal authorities try to draw attention to the dangers posed by these "ghost guns," which contain no registration numbers that can be used to trace them. In Baltimore, a man used a homemade AR-15-style rifle to shoot at four police officers in July 2016. They returned fire, killing him.

It's legal to build a gun in a home or a workshop, and advances in 3-D printing and milling have made it easier to do so. Kits can be purchased legally for $450 to $1,000 from hundreds of websites without the kind of background check required for traditional gun purchases.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/california-shooting-rampage-highlights-ghost-guns-185746544.html
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
Re: California Rampage Puts Spotlight On Homemade 'Ghost Guns’
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2017, 02:29:40 am »

If they weren’t scary enough, now they’re supernatural......

BOO!!!
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2017, 02:34:31 am »
This is what I heard, home-made guns, glad someone posted on this.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2017, 02:37:52 am »
We need better people control.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2017, 08:44:14 am »
They are going to go after 3D printers and machine tools next. People have been making their own legal firearms for a long time, but there is no record of those. They don't even have to have a serial number on them if they are not to be sold.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis