Author Topic: Veterans Are Dying From Painkiller Overdoses At Twice The Rate Of The US Population  (Read 542 times)

rangerrebew

Veterans Are Dying From Painkiller Overdoses At Twice The Rate Of The US Population
Posted on November 12, 2017 by True Pundit Staff

The opioid epidemic is claiming a record amount of lives annually in the U.S., but the death rate from painkiller abuse among veterans is nearly double that of the broader population.

The Department of Veterans Affairs is stepping up its effort to treat military veterans who get hooked on the dangerous pills, but are struggling to stay ahead of the crisis. While VA doctors have treated roughly 68,000 veterans for addiction to opioid painkillers since March, service members continue to die from painkiller overdoses at twice the rate of the non-military population, reports Reuters.

Former Democratic Rep. Patrick Kennedy, who recently served on President Donald Trump’s White House commission on opioid abuse, is critical of the lack of action on this issue from Congress, saying Friday, “our veterans deserve better than polished sound bites and empty promises.”

http://truepundit.com/veterans-are-dying-from-painkiller-overdoses-at-twice-the-rate-of-the-us-population/

Offline KingsX

• Be yourself. No one can say you're doing it wrong.

Someone explain to me why/how so many people are hooked on these drugs.

I can understand a minority who might get hooked after legitimately taking doctor prescribed drugs for pain.

But how did this become such a huge epidemic?

I've never understood why people take dangerous mind-altering drugs unless their intent is to rot their brain and off themselves.  Maybe it's nature's way of culling obviously weak individuals from the herd.

Online roamer_1

Someone explain to me why/how so many people are hooked on these drugs.

I can understand a minority who might get hooked after legitimately taking doctor prescribed drugs for pain.

But how did this become such a huge epidemic?

I've never understood why people take dangerous mind-altering drugs unless their intent is to rot their brain and off themselves.  Maybe it's nature's way of culling obviously weak individuals from the herd.

Those with a prescription are not a minority. Pain is a big deal. Neither is it new. America has flirted with morphine for a long, long, time. As have veteran soldiers particularly, and largely, legitimately.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Modern American medicine goes very heavily towards surgeries and drugs.

Bone fractures and organ damage frequently are treated with incisions, screws, rods, plates, sutures,  etc. The resulting pain does require some sort of pain medicine for awhile.

Where the current medicine falls short is getting people off the drugs ASAP after the surgeries. Off the drugs before physical/mental addiction takes hold.

The addiction takes hold quickly, and the patient feels physical and mental discomfort if the dosage is withheld. (notice how smokers need to have a smoke, so quickly and so regularly? They are relieving the discomfort of withdrawal from their drug of choice, nicotine)

My very first contact for AA was a priest, with 5 years sober at the time. He introduced me to AA, and introduced my wife and I to a couple whereby the guy had 5 years sober. He became my first AA friend.

The priest later left the ministry, to become a ful time professional in the substance treatment/recovery field (MS degree in psychology; dual diagnosis-addiction+mental illness).

There is a great deal of distance between talking through one's rear end, and actually doing something.

This is one subject which does not have easy answers. The priest died sober. My first friend is nearing 29 years sober, and I am nearing 24 years sober.

Addicts and alcoholics have things in common. Honestly many would say their drug of choice is "more."

Many will claim the addict/alcoholic started ut mentally ill. I contend most became mentally ill from using mind-altering substances.

Now let the moral posturing and virtue signaling begin about addictions, from people that know little or nothing about the complexities thereof.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline KingsX

• Be yourself. No one can say you're doing it wrong.

Now let the moral posturing and virtue signaling begin about addictions, from people that know little or nothing about the complexities thereof.

This relates to my question...  for someone to know "little or nothing" that means they have not been exposed to either the addictive drugs or people addicted to the drugs.  That's me.... I've managed to live my long life without being exposed to either.    That's why I asked the topic question.   How/why did the huge opioid addiction epidemic mushroom up ??