Author Topic: Berry: Bergdahl Sentence a Blow to Confidence in Military Justice System  (Read 1056 times)

rangerrebew

Berry: Bergdahl Sentence a Blow to Confidence in Military Justice System

by Michael Berry11 Nov 2017

Bowe Bergdahl deserves to go to prison for his crimes. The fact that he won’t spend a day in confinement, however, while decorated officers who stand on ethical principles will, weakens our military and casts doubt on the fairness of our military justice system.

Most Americans are at least vaguely familiar with the basic facts of the Bowe Bergdahl ordeal. But what has left many Americans bewildered is the sentence of no confinement for Bergdahl, seemingly out of sync with sentences handed down for similar or lesser crimes, including a controversial sentence issued against a Marine Corps general this week.

http://www.breitbart.com/national-security/2017/11/11/berry-bergdahl-sentence-blow-confidence-military-justice-system/

Offline SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
Re: Berry: Bergdahl Sentence a Blow to Confidence in Military Justice System
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2017, 04:32:04 pm »
It's not an aberration for those of us who served...many feel that there is a severe "disconnect" in how the UCMJ is used and types of punishments handed down.
Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2017, 04:41:26 pm »
It's not an aberration for those of us who served...many feel that there is a severe "disconnect" in how the UCMJ is used and types of punishments handed down.

Cultural Marxism, aka political correctness, is having it's effects in all segments of our society and we are far worse off because of it!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2017, 04:44:22 pm »
Cultural Marxism, aka political correctness, is having it's effects in all segments of our society and we are far worse off because of it!
:amen:
Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2017, 04:46:26 pm »

Its been that way for a long time.  Many Military officers kept the perks of their position but dropped the integrity and honor.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline thackney

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2017, 04:55:22 pm »
by Michael Berry 11 Nov 2017

Any one know if this is the same Michael Berry of the radio talk show?

https://ktrh.iheart.com/featured/michael-berry/
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2017, 04:59:13 pm »
Any one know if this is the same Michael Berry of the radio talk show?

https://ktrh.iheart.com/featured/michael-berry/

From the article:
Mike Berry is a leading expert in military law. He spent over 7 years on active duty as a lawyer in the Marine Corps, including time spent as an instructor at the U.S. Naval Academy. Berry has represented military clients in high-profile cases involving war crimes, homicide, and espionage, among others.

The Michael Berry at KTRH is a lawyer but hasn't practiced in years. He is also a former city councilman in the City of Houston and the owner of the Redneck Country Club.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 05:03:01 pm by Bigun »

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2017, 05:01:18 pm »
Once they allowed gays in the military, this became the first part of the military they will take over.

Offline thackney

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2017, 05:04:57 pm »
Mike Berry is a leading expert in military law. He spent over 7 years on active duty...

@Bigun Thanks, I skipped right over that.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2017, 05:25:25 pm »
@Bigun Thanks, I skipped right over that.

@thackney

Easy to do!   888high58888

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2017, 05:57:28 pm »

@Bigun

Is it political correctness?   Or is it letting the politics impact the sentence.   Did some Obama lackey (aka powerful Congress critter) call a general and say it sure would be a shame to lose that funding.   Why don't you just let this go. Then that general makes a call.

No I think this is yet another sign that the last 8+ years have increased the rot in our military ranks to the point where a traitor is let off without confinement and apparently his back pay.

I got out in '95 and the rot from Clinton was pervasive I can't imagine how bad it is now.  Where people go to jail for killing a combatant on the battlefield but this traitor is let go.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.