Author Topic: Romney moves toward Senate bid  (Read 1125 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Romney moves toward Senate bid
« on: November 10, 2017, 02:11:19 pm »

The former Massachusetts governor would run in Utah as an elder statesman willing to challenge Donald Trump, associates say.

By ALEX ISENSTADT

11/10/2017 05:03 AM EST

Mitt Romney is edging closer to a 2018 Senate run.

The former GOP presidential nominee is huddling with Utah’s class of GOP power brokers, contacting the state’s major political donors, and hitting the trail for candidates running in local races amid mounting speculation that the state’s longtime senator, Orrin Hatch, will retire. Romney is also raising money for House and Senate Republicans, winning him favor with GOP leaders ahead of a treacherous midterm election.

Last week, Romney attended a high-profile gala in Salt Lake City hosted by the Sutherland Institute, a prominent conservative think tank. The event drew a number of notable Utah political figures, including Sen. Mike Lee and Utah Senate President Wayne Niederhauser. Romney shared a table with former Gov. Mike Leavitt, a longtime supporter he’s been in touch with amid his deliberations. He also had a private conversation with the night’s featured speaker, conservative commentator Bill Kristol.

more
https://www.politico.com/story/2017/11/10/mitt-romney-senate-utah-244760
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Applewood

Re: Romney moves toward Senate bid
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2017, 02:50:41 pm »
Oh, puleeeeeez!

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2017, 02:55:35 pm »
:3:
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2017, 04:24:13 pm »
Mitt Romney‏Verified account
@MittRomney 

Innocent until proven guilty is for criminal convictions, not elections. I believe Leigh Corfman. Her account is too serious to ignore. Moore is unfit for office and should step aside.

6:55 AM - 10 Nov 2017
18,373 Retweets  52,147 Likes

https://twitter.com/MittRomney/status/928999549376528385

Offline Applewood

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2017, 04:32:55 pm »
And I'm supposed to care what Romney thinks about the Moore accusations, why?

Online Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2017, 04:40:35 pm »
And I'm supposed to care what Romney thinks about the Moore accusations, why?

You're not "supposed" to care about anything political @Applewood

Take what you will from Romney's tweet.  If it's nothing, then it's nothing.   :shrug:

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2017, 04:40:50 pm »
I don't get the Mitt hate, okay, he governed a liberal state so he has to owe up to that. He's also apparently one heckuva a businessman and I don't mean being a corporate raider as he was accused of being. He fixed up the Olympics, on a personal basis, he is very serious about his own Mormon faith.  I watched him address BYU. I voted for him in '12; you bet, versus what he was up against.

His veep candidate, Ryan has proved to be disappointing. One thing I know, we aren't going to get the perfect candidate. Don't let the possible be the enemy of the perfect.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2017, 04:41:55 pm »
I certainly disagree with Romney's tweet if he said that, he just bats for the establishment. That is a shame.  It's disgraceful and dare I say, unChristian and uncharitable.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2017, 04:46:51 pm »
You're not "supposed" to care about anything political @Applewood

Take what you will from Romney's tweet.  If it's nothing, then it's nothing.   :shrug:

Not attacking you, but why does every public figure have to stick his or her nose into something that is none of his business? 

I don't like that Roy Moore is being tried in the court of public opinion.  If there is a case, then the plaintiff should bring it to a real court and let that court decide.  We don't need every major and minor celebrity weighing in.

Online Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2017, 04:53:09 pm »
I certainly disagree with Romney's tweet if he said that, he just bats for the establishment. That is a shame.  It's disgraceful and dare I say, unChristian and uncharitable.

Agree @TomSea   And he did post it ... the link is provided. 

Online Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2017, 04:54:00 pm »
Not attacking you, but why does every public figure have to stick his or her nose into something that is none of his business? 

I don't like that Roy Moore is being tried in the court of public opinion.  If there is a case, then the plaintiff should bring it to a real court and let that court decide.  We don't need every major and minor celebrity weighing in.

Understood.  Thanks.

Offline cato potatoe

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2017, 05:28:45 pm »
Moore is not fit to serve if he did it with a 14 year old ... and I would hope the voters feel the same way.  On the other hand, there is a rush to judgment by the establishment politicians, and it does look awfully suspicious.  You would expect them to wait until all of the facts come out, as there is no way to replace the candidate.  I remember they nuked Todd Akin and Richard Mourdock for ill-advised statements back in 2012.  In retrospect the controversies were blown out of proportion.  It sure would be nice to have those two seats now.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2017, 07:17:10 pm »
I don't get the Mitt hate, okay, he governed a liberal state so he has to owe up to that. He's also apparently one heckuva a businessman and I don't mean being a corporate raider as he was accused of being. He fixed up the Olympics, on a personal basis, he is very serious about his own Mormon faith.  I watched him address BYU. I voted for him in '12; you bet, versus what he was up against.

His veep candidate, Ryan has proved to be disappointing. One thing I know, we aren't going to get the perfect candidate. Don't let the possible be the enemy of the perfect.

Romney was able to be elected Governor of Mass. BECAUSE he is a liberal.  That's how my home state Republicans ever get elected.  They might have an R after their names, but they all might as well be Democrats.

About a day or two before the presidential election in 2012, I remember watching Romney make a campaign speech where he promised to establish yet another government jobs program.  I knew he was a liberal and was not going to vote for him, but others were pressuring me to do so.  But when I saw that speech, I decided I was going to write in a candidate instead.  I refused to choose between two liberals and I still do to this day.

No, I don't want perfect, but I won't vote for the lesser of two evils either.

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2017, 07:22:47 pm »
I've always liked Romney, but his time is long past. He's a nice guy, but we need someone who will stand with the Constitution and against the establishment. An establishment candidate is not what the people want ... it's what the establishment wants.  No thank you. 
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2017, 10:31:07 pm »

QFT

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2017, 10:49:20 pm »
I hope he gets crushed.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2017, 10:53:28 pm »
I hope he gets crushed.

In Utah? As an LDS elder? Not a chance. He'll get it in a walk.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2017, 10:57:48 pm »
That seat will be a wash, trading one mush for another.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2017, 11:14:49 pm »

The former Massachusetts governor would run in Utah as an elder statesman willing to challenge Donald Trump, associates say.

By ALEX ISENSTADT

11/10/2017 05:03 AM EST

Mitt Romney is edging closer to a 2018 Senate run.

The former GOP presidential nominee is huddling with Utah’s class of GOP power brokers, contacting the state’s major political donors, and hitting the trail for candidates running in local races amid mounting speculation that the state’s longtime senator, Orrin Hatch, will retire. Romney is also raising money for House and Senate Republicans, winning him favor with GOP leaders ahead of a treacherous midterm election.

Last week, Romney attended a high-profile gala in Salt Lake City hosted by the Sutherland Institute, a prominent conservative think tank. The event drew a number of notable Utah political figures, including Sen. Mike Lee and Utah Senate President Wayne Niederhauser. Romney shared a table with former Gov. Mike Leavitt, a longtime supporter he’s been in touch with amid his deliberations. He also had a private conversation with the night’s featured speaker, conservative commentator Bill Kristol.

more
https://www.politico.com/story/2017/11/10/mitt-romney-senate-utah-244760

I don't dislike Mitt Romney at all but we don't need another senator who has pledged to be anti-Trump.

We can get nothing done with this kind of polarity.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.