Author Topic: Saudi Arabia says Lebanon declares war, deepening crisis  (Read 635 times)

Offline DemolitionMan

Saudi Arabia says Lebanon declares war, deepening crisis
« on: November 07, 2017, 04:20:41 am »
Tom Perry, Lisa Barrington

Saudi Arabia accused Lebanon on Monday of declaring war against it because of aggression by the Iran-backed Lebanese Shi‘ite group Hezbollah, a dramatic escalation of a crisis threatening to destabilize the tiny Arab country.Lebanon has been thrust to the center of regional rivalry between Saudi Arabia and Iran since the Saudi-allied Lebanese politician Saad al-Hariri quit as prime minister on Saturday, blaming Iran and Hezbollah in his resignation speech.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-lebanon-politics/saudi-arabia-says-lebanon-declares-war-deepening-crisis-idUSKBN1D61SZ
« Last Edit: November 07, 2017, 04:21:11 am by DemolitionMan »
"Of Arms and Man I Sing"-The Aenid written by Virgil-Virgil commenced his epic story of Aeneas and the founding of Rome with the words: Arma virumque cano--"Of arms and man I sing.Aeneas receives full treatment in Roman mythology, most extensively in Virgil's Aeneid, where he is an ancestor of Romulus and Remus. He became the first true hero of Rome

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
Re: Saudi Arabia says Lebanon declares war, deepening crisis
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2017, 03:39:35 pm »
Syria, Jordan, and Israel are between Saudi Arabia and Lebanon.  It’d have to be a wider regional conflict if they actually went to war.  Both Syria and Lebanon are Iranian puppet states.  Things could really get hot.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2017, 04:09:01 pm »
Syria, Jordan, and Israel are between Saudi Arabia and Lebanon.  It’d have to be a wider regional conflict if they actually went to war.  Both Syria and Lebanon are Iranian puppet states.  Things could really get hot.

Definitely.  But there could actually be some quiet cooperation between SA and Israel, where Saudis provide some support.

This is definitely Saudi Arabia making a move to keep Iran's proxy expansion in check.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2017, 04:16:28 pm »
Definitely.  But there could actually be some quiet cooperation between SA and Israel, where Saudis provide some support.

Stranger things have happened, such as the Iranians doing photo reconnaissance for Israel after the Osirak reactor strike.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2017, 04:20:07 pm »
Stranger things have happened, such as the Iranians doing photo reconnaissance for Israel after the Osirak reactor strike.

Yup.  After Iran's attempt failed.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn