Author Topic: Cruz Is Now Opposed to the Tax Reform Bill  (Read 2802 times)

Offline endicom

Cruz Is Now Opposed to the Tax Reform Bill
« on: November 07, 2017, 08:59:47 pm »
Townhall
Cortney O'Brien
Nov. 7, 2017

Sen. Ted Cruz (R-TX) is the latest conservative to oppose the GOP's tax reform plan. Cruz, who can't get past those tax hikes, joins the likes of Sens. Tom Cotton (R-AR) and Rand Paul (R-KY), who want Republicans to remove the Obamacare individual mandate tax from the bill.

More... https://townhall.com/tipsheet/cortneyobrien/2017/11/07/cruz-opposed-to-tax-reform-bill-n2406127

Offline RoosGirl

Re: Cruz Is Now Opposed to the Tax Reform Bill
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2017, 09:10:56 pm »
Hey, way to go Teddy!  Wait for the articles pinning the failure on McCain and then come out against.  Awesome strategery.  ^-^

Offline cato potatoe

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2017, 09:30:36 pm »
The Hindenburg had nothing on this bill.  You cannot unwind the tax code, which means you can count on large administrative costs every year in which you make decent money.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2017, 09:38:10 pm »
The Hindenburg had nothing on this bill.  You cannot unwind the tax code, which means you can count on large administrative costs every year in which you make decent money.

I just read a post on Facebook wherein he was encouraging the passage of it.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2017, 09:40:46 pm »
Other Republican senators like James Lankford (OK) are on the brink of opposing the plan because it has the potential to add $1.5 trillion in debt over the next decade.

Nonsense.  Tax cuts will add nothing to the debt.

Lawmakers CHOOSING for the government to spend more than it takes in adds to the debt.  We could have tax cuts and a $1.5 trillion reduction in debt over the next decade if they simply didn't waste so much OPM.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline cato potatoe

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2017, 09:44:20 pm »
I just read a post on Facebook wherein he was encouraging the passage of it.

He probably will support any simplification in the end, as a step in the right direction.  The problem is the dems will stand in cult-like solidarity against everything Trump favors, and it will not take much pressure from special interests to peel off three GOP senators.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2017, 09:48:59 pm »
I'm relieved that he did. 

Online corbe

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2017, 10:00:15 pm »
Hey, way to go Teddy!  Wait for the articles pinning the failure on McCain and then come out against.  Awesome strategery.  ^-^

McCain's against it because he hates Trump and he's senile and retched.
   If Cruz is shooting for the ACA Mandate as a negotiating position as some in the House are also, this is great. Trump can only undo so much of obummercare by EO and we know it's all temporary.  Kill the Mandate and you slay the beast, the Free Market will recover whatever is left of the Health Care industry in this Country.
   This Tax Bill is just another tweek around the edges of failure as far as I'm concerned, without the mandate repeal.
   This Congress is hopeless.   
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2017, 10:03:30 pm »
   McCain's against it because he hates Trump and he's senile and retched.
   If Cruz is shooting for the ACA Mandate as a negotiating position as some in the House are also, this is great. Trump can only undo so much of obummercare by EO and we know it's all temporary.  Kill the Mandate and you slay the beast, the Free Market will recover whatever is left of the Health Care industry in this Country.
  This Tax Bill is just another tweek around the edges of failure as far as I'm concerned, without the mandate repeal.
   This Congress is hopeless.

Even with the mandate repeal it's a tweek around the edges of a disaster of a "tax reform".

Online corbe

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2017, 10:12:37 pm »
    That is true also @RoosGirl
                :beer:
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Online Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2017, 10:14:49 pm »

Sen. Cruz seems to be developing a habit of doing that.
Let it burn.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2017, 10:17:26 pm »
This tax reform (so-called) just kind of shuffles the numbers around a bit.
It doesn't go far enough.
Some will say that it is better than nothing.
Perhaps, but it can be better, a lot better, because as it stands now, it isn't much better than nothing.
I guess if simplifying filing was the only goal, I guess it will do that, but that's not much of a goal.
Or should I say, that's one goal of many others not addressed.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2017, 10:19:24 pm »
Perhaps, but it can be better, a lot better, because as it stands now, it isn't much better than nothing.
I guess if simplifying filing was the only goal, I guess it will do that, but that's not much of a goal.

If the goal is only simplifying things, they could just send us a bill.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2017, 10:20:17 pm »

The PROBLEM is the Marxist income tax itself and NO amount of tinkering with it is ever going to fix it! 

http://fairtax.org
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2017, 10:22:03 pm »
Sen. Cruz seems to be developing a habit of doing that.

Well, remember the most frequent complaint against him before was that he was so far right and wouldn't work with the moderates.

Offline DiogenesLamp

« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2017, 10:33:17 pm »
I'm relieved that he did.

Me too.   I wasn't liking what I was hearing,   but I presumed it was because of information "noise",  but Cruz's opposition leads me to believe the signal was okay,  it's just the information was not good.   

I believe Cruz read it,  understands it,  and is against it for the right reasons,  as opposed to McCain who is against it because it would be seen as giving Trump a victory. 

‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

Online Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2017, 10:35:38 pm »
Well, remember the most frequent complaint against him before was that he was so far right and wouldn't work with the moderates.

No, my point was, he seems to be developing the habit of coming out against things after they are publicly known to be "dead in the water", i.e., when it's safe to be against them. Makes it look like he's more concerned with his own political safety, rather than leading the way.
Let it burn.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2017, 10:37:17 pm »
No, my point was, he seems to be developing the habit of coming out against things after they are publicly known to be "dead in the water", i.e., when it's safe to be against them. Makes it look like he's more concerned with his own political safety, rather than leading the way.

I haven't seen that pattern myself, but will look at his Twitter feed and see what that looks like.

Online corbe

« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2017, 10:45:23 pm »

I understand that point @Ghost Bear @RoosGirl alluded to that earlier and being a CruzBot I just want to give him the benefit of the doubt, maybe the extra time was spent studying the damn thing instead of just shooting from the Hip to gain a spot on TV.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2017, 10:51:08 pm »

I know it's hard to tell the difference, but I wan't being serious with my first comment about strategery.  We all know that the RINO triplets are going to screw over any attempt for real "reform", so when Cruz does or doesn't come out against something is irrelevant to me.

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2017, 11:12:52 pm »
   I understand that point @Ghost Bear @RoosGirl alluded to that earlier and being a CruzBot I just want to give him the benefit of the doubt, maybe the extra time was spent studying the damn thing instead of just shooting from the Hip to gain a spot on TV.

Are you saying there's a possibility Cruz actually reads the article before posting?!?!?!?!?
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2017, 11:24:48 pm »
Perhaps this is another reason he is against it.

Conservatives hit GOP tax bill for nixing adoption credit
excerpt: 
David French, a senior fellow at the conservative National Review Institute, wrote in an op-ed that the credit is “one of the government’s most important pro-life policies.”

“As things now stand, though, this Republican Congress may well end up funding Planned Parenthood while abolishing the adoption tax credit. That’s intolerable,” French wrote Friday.

http://thehill.com/policy/finance/358684-conservatives-hit-gop-tax-bill-for-nixing-adoption-credit
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline KingsX

• Be yourself. No one can say you're doing it wrong.
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2017, 11:38:49 pm »

Conservatives hit GOP tax bill for nixing adoption credit
excerpt: 

David French, a senior fellow at the conservative National Review Institute, wrote in an op-ed that the credit is “one of the government’s most important pro-life policies.”

“As things now stand, though, this Republican Congress may well end up funding Planned Parenthood while abolishing the adoption tax credit. That’s intolerable,” French wrote Friday.

http://thehill.com/policy/finance/358684-conservatives-hit-gop-tax-bill-for-nixing-adoption-credit

But why would that matter to so-called "conservatives" who keep telling me that tax cuts for rich  corporate swamp creatures [most of whom promote cultural marxism] is all that matters

Btw... cultural marxist bolshevik Russia was the first country to destroy the concept of family and give free abortions on demand.   Today, 100 years after the bolshevik revolution, Russia still suffers the consequences...a critical low birth rate crisis while non-ethnic-Russians continue to rule over and disinherit them and allow other non-Russians to swam the land.

« Last Edit: November 07, 2017, 11:44:27 pm by KingsX »

Online Hoodat

« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2017, 11:46:04 pm »
But why would that matter to so-called "conservatives" who keep telling me that tax cuts for rich  corporate swamp creatures [most of whom promote cultural marxism] is all that matters

Probably because Republicans aren't actually saying that.  But thanks once again for reciting DNC talking points.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline KingsX

• Be yourself. No one can say you're doing it wrong.
« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2017, 11:54:16 pm »

Probably because Republicans aren't actually saying that.  But thanks once again for reciting DNC talking points.

Apparently you haven't been paying attention to what the GOP talking heads have been saying. Their main talking point is massive business tax cuts... so that money will trickle down to us poor peasants eventually [meanwhile many of us poor peasants will get a tax increase.]   But the reality is, most big businesses, most major corporations and their wealthy owners/stock holders are globalist liberals who donate lots of money to liberal globalist cultural marxist causes including the Democratic Party.  The GOP tax plan gives them more money to use for our destruction.

« Last Edit: November 07, 2017, 11:58:22 pm by KingsX »